Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of 17.5 blinky class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fantomdude
I grew up in rc on a loamy track running stock and it was a lot of fun. I have found that I prefer racing on indoor clay now the best. The traction is on rails and I have replace tires not from wear but because the foam breaks down just like a loamy track.
When I originally raced offroad, we didn't have foam inside the tires. Often times we didn't even need to glue the tires on the wheels. Tire changes were quick and easy on the car and they'd last forever.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I love and hate the class, I love close racing but hate the guys that make the class super serious for the newer guys... What I mean is, charging packs at 40amps, and cheating with motors.. There are too many variables in stock racing that makes the class uneven...in stock, there is always someone that has a super fast car.. I know it's the driver that makes the car, but come on, there is always a cheater which sucks and it discourages other drivers. It's still a fun cheap class for me
Old 12-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
I love and hate the class, I love close racing but hate the guys that make the class super serious for the newer guys... What I mean is, charging packs at 40amps, and cheating with motors.. There are too many variables in stock racing that makes the class uneven...in stock, there is always someone that has a super fast car.. I know it's the driver that makes the car, but come on, there is always a cheater which sucks and it discourages other drivers. It's still a fun cheap class for me
I had a guy ask me the other night at the Track how hi my charger would charge at. I told him why Play That game just charge at 1C and your stuff will last Your not going to win cause you charge at 40 amps you win if you don't crash.

As for the Cheating I really don't care about that either it should just be 17.5 motor limit. Timing should be allowed if you want. You can only get so much out of a motor before it dies. Don't crash! that is the fastest way around any track. I don't go to Cactus or even big trophy races anymore and even if I did I'm not going to beat factory drivers in "Stock". That is a different argument. I love taking my son to club races, talking crap to each other who is going to win stuff like that. Just having fun with little cars. LOL
Old 12-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fantomdude
I had a guy ask me the other night at the Track how hi my charger would charge at. I told him why Play That game just charge at 1C and your stuff will last Your not going to win cause you charge at 40 amps you win if you don't crash.

As for the Cheating I really don't care about that either it should just be 17.5 motor limit. Timing should be allowed if you want. You can only get so much out of a motor before it dies. Don't crash! that is the fastest way around any track. I don't go to Cactus or even big trophy races anymore and even if I did I'm not going to beat factory drivers in "Stock". That is a different argument. I love taking my son to club races, talking crap to each other who is going to win stuff like that. Just having fun with little cars. LOL
I agree, we should allow full timing.. I think that would make it even.. Yep your stuff will last longer charging at 1c
Old 12-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

I agree, we should allow full timing.. I think that would make it even.
Some clubs do have Open classes and then comes the issue with...how much timing do you use and what's the hot RPM range. Every Joe wants to run the same set-up Timmy does and be as fast. It don't work that way. Chassis set-up and driving all make a bigger difference. Not always battery/motor of the month. (jmo)
Old 12-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I agree, we should allow full timing.. I think that would make it even.. Yep your stuff will last longer charging at 1c
THEN RUN MOD!!! WTF IS THE POINT OF RUNNING 17.5 IF YOU'RE GONNA BOOST IT!?

Boosted 17.5 is such a great idea almost NOBODY does it! You sir are special.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old brushed motor stock class was 6 cell batteries (open to any SC, SCR, or SCE cell) and ROAR approved 27 turn motors with fixed timing at 24°. The cans were sealed (until the 2000's) and the motors used bushings instead of bearings. We didn't have esc timing so that wasn't an issue. A stock equivalent today needs to pick a motor limit, run blinky mode with no esc timing, and run a fixed endbell timing on the motor. That's it. Simple. This doesn't have to be complicated.

Now you might say that not all motors or batteries are created equal. They never were in the past either but it still often came down to the smoothest driving.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I will give you that. I loved racing outdoors with holeshots as the "only" tire. The track changed every run... it was a lot more fun!

I was there too, late 90's but still the 90's.
Nah man, you gotta' go back farther than that. The Holeshot was the original "blue groove" tire, that brought on the super-hardpack track prep that's common today. Losi X-patterns, Schumacher Cat-spikes, and Bowtires! Slather the car with silicone spray if it's muddy.

Originally Posted by fredswain
A stock equivalent today needs to pick a motor limit, run blinky mode with no esc timing, and run a fixed endbell timing on the motor. That's it. Simple. This doesn't have to be complicated.

Now you might say that not all motors or batteries are created equal. They never were in the past either but it still often came down to the smoothest driving.
Agreed. SpeedPassion has made sensroed, brushless motors in stamped steel cans that are much less expensive than our current motors (which are still a bargain for how long they last). I think stock could be improved further with something like that, and hard charge rate limits. There's no good reason to charge @ 40 amps and if you do that with a battery that's been damaged internally, the fire will happen faster (and your track may be shut down). I charge at 1-2c, use an "average" 17.5 motor and I never lose because the other guy's car was more powerful.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Nah man, you gotta' go back farther than that. The Holeshot was the original "blue groove" tire, that brought on the super-hardpack track prep that's common today. Losi X-patterns, Schumacher Cat-spikes, and Bowtires! Slather the car with silicone spray if it's muddy.
Remember I said late 90's
Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has it been 6 months already ? Seems like yesterday ....

Momentum racing sounds like awesome fun .... BUT too much bs to get into what's currently the 17.5 binky class.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer1812
THEN RUN MOD!!! WTF IS THE POINT OF RUNNING 17.5 IF YOU'RE GONNA BOOST IT!?

Boosted 17.5 is such a great idea almost NOBODY does it! You sir are special.
Take it easy moron!!! No need to get hostile,you cant have an opinion on these threads without someone getting all heated take it easy and have some respect young man.. There are some elders on here, my son does race mod for your information,old dudes in mod usually are in the way... Im done with this thread,people like you make this hobby suck sometime... And if you are an adult, grow up!!! Makes no sense
Old 12-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Take it easy moron!!!..... Im done with this thread
Something tells me you'll be done with more than just this thread

I concur with the others. Allowing dynamic timing is a terrible idea for 17.5 racing. Blinky is the way to go. Far fewer cooked motors, gearing/endbell timing is 100x easier to figure out for the new guys, and overall car speeds are lower. The last thing the 17.5 class needs is to be FASTER! I'd actually be on board for the blinky class to move to 21.5. The faster guys would certainly then bump into mod.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Something tells me you'll be done with more than just this thread
That'd be a shame since he was provoked by a moderator.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
That'd be a shame since he was provoked by a moderator.
Just playin with him, Davidka.. if I were that worried, it would be taken care of already. Relax people! That includes you, Racer
Old 12-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

It seems like every few posts I see from you Cpt. America, you're flexing your moderator muscle brandishing your powers to banish people instead of encouraging people to simmer down and be respectful. Even your signature conveys that kind of approach. Not quite sure why it's needed or if it's warranted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.