Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not longer Mains

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RobsRacin
People barely make 8 minutes in stock class. 15 minutes is hot to push any brushless motor, regardless of timing. Lot of things that just would just not work. Do you want 10 minute quals to go with these 15 minute mains?
I am not advocating for 15 mains but it is entirely doable. Easily so with regard to the 2wd's.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
I am not advocating for 15 mains but it is entirely doable. Easily so with regard to the 2wd's.
You know of a competitive stock racer who could easily go 15 minutes? People are dumping batteries in 8 minutes
Old 10-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Problem in our area is too many classes. I've been to races where they have 2wd & 4wd SC, 2wd & 4wd buggy, stadium truck, ebuggy and mini8 class all in one day. Mains alone would be 3 or 4 hours
Old 10-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

It seems completely ridiculous to spend all the time and money to go racing and only run a 5 minute main. Most time wasted at the track is the time between heats. We run ten minute mains at our home track and all the guys love it. If you are worried about getting home you shouldn't be at the track in the first place. The biggest turnoff when traveling more than a couple hours to a race is finding out they are planning on running a skimpy fourth round called the mains.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dynamiteracer
It seems completely ridiculous to spend all the time and money to go racing and only run a 5 minute main. Most time wasted at the track is the time between heats. We run ten minute mains at our home track and all the guys love it. If you are worried about getting home you shouldn't be at the track in the first place. The biggest turnoff when traveling more than a couple hours to a race is finding out they are planning on running a skimpy fourth round called the mains.
Heck we get 2 heats and a main. And when it is a really light turnout they still rush us like crazy to be done
Old 10-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You know of a competitive stock racer who could easily go 15 minutes? People are dumping batteries in 8 minutes
I think you need to keep in mind what the runtimes are relative to being competitive.

If I told you that your main was now 1 minute long, you would see vehicles geared differently among other things.

How things are setup will work itself out based on the amount of runtime you need.

Its why you will see people who run say 1/8 E-buggy recommend certain pack mah minimums for 10 minutes versus say 15, etc.

awhile ago there were people running I think what they called pro truck which was a 20 (yes, 20) minute main, mod class with 2wd stadiums they made the mains fine.

The fact that people dont' want to spend more time at the track is very interesting when you are on a track that has nitro ran since it appears lots of time get burns up with warm ups, etc. especially if you as an electric only guy has to corner for them. that I always found funny.

All in all I would say pitch it to the track owner and go from there.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jslider
Heck we get 2 heats and a main. And when it is a really light turnout they still rush us like crazy to be done
We run nitro once a month at the local indoor track and get three seven minute heat races with a thirty minute a. Ten minute mains for electric is awesome.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I think you need to keep in mind what the runtimes are relative to being competitive.

If I told you that your main was now 1 minute long, you would see vehicles geared differently among other things.

How things are setup will work itself out based on the amount of runtime you need.

Its why you will see people who run say 1/8 E-buggy recommend certain pack mah minimums for 10 minutes versus say 15, etc.

awhile ago there were people running I think what they called pro truck which was a 20 (yes, 20) minute main, mod class with 2wd stadiums they made the mains fine.

The fact that people dont' want to spend more time at the track is very interesting when you are on a track that has nitro ran since it appears lots of time get burns up with warm ups, etc. especially if you as an electric only guy has to corner for them. that I always found funny.

All in all I would say pitch it to the track owner and go from there.
This is true, but this would mean people would need to loose speed and attempt to try and save power. People want to go faster and push the limits not hold out.

It is all about who wants to do what but honestly I cant go longer than 8-10 minutes on the stand without loosing my vision from not blinking lol
Old 10-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

You would need to gear towards runtime, but it is easily doable.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Our MNRC series is a two day program. Saturday qualifying and Sunday's mains. We run 15 minute A mains for all electric classes but pro4 and e buggy. Those have two 8 minute A mains. Not one of our stock Buggy guys have issues making 15 minutes. SCB and sportsman 2wd also clear 15 minutes with ease also.

For multi day races I am all for longer electric mains, but for short one day or club racing, keep them 8 or under.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I've never seen a buggy pull more than 1100mah in a 5 minute run. You're more likely seeing their power fade due to excessive heat (they're doing it wrong). Yes, racers would have to trade a little speed on the 1st 2 minutes of the run to keep from overheating but it'd be easy. My motors don't get very hot no matter how long I run.

Thing is, people don't actually want 15 minute mains, even if that's what they're saying. What they want is for more of the race day to be well, racing. Why not change to an MX format with 2x mains? Less qualifying, more racing.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We run all electric Friday nights at Indy.
All classes run 7 min qualifiers and 10 min mains.
1/8 buggy, truggy, 1/10 buggy & truck, and 4wd short course.

It seems like just the right amount of time.

Our short course class was doing 8 min mains until we all agreed to the 10 min mark. Some had to step up to a bigger mha battery as the 4wd do suck some power while on the track. I usually come off with 30% left in my 7200/100c
Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I was always bothered when tracks chose (what I viewed as) unnecessarily short mains. I race ebuggy, and can easily do 10 minute main with warmup. So I dont like when tracks pick anything less than an 8 minute main. To me it seems like it wouldnt extend the day that much to make the electric mains a few minutes longer, especially when nitro mains are 15-45 minutes. Right now our 1/8 series does double 8 minute electric mains. I know they did it for the the increased track time, but the double mains certainly drag the day out. My favorite format was 7 minute qualifiers with a 10 minute main.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turtlex
Any of my cars 1/8th or 1/10 with these huge batteries nowadays can run half hour no problem. It's all a time thing/tradition I think. Figure 10 classes three quals each plus a main or heaven forbid double or triple mains. That's a long time. It doesn't seem like much but it really does add up. Even on a day with a "smaller turnout" the race program already runs all morning and into the night sometimes having to turn all the lights on
1/2 hour?! Seriously?! You must be on your lid alot. In a 10 min main in e buggy I burn approx 4500mah...now way in hell i could ever make 30 min unless I ran 6s with some huge batteries....
Old 10-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

a lot of runtime is also track condition specific.

Probably a big thing may be to look at what your day involves during a race. Do the heats get up and going in the timeframes set or is there more goofing off in general.

to me personally I enjoy a mix of the racing action a well as the environment and communication with other racers during the day since it does go on longer. It was something that when I was in CT I really enjoyed during the early days of touring cars.

Last edited by Cain; 10-28-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.