Search

What exactly is a "rally" car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default What exactly is a "rally" car?

What exactly is a "rally" car?
The best I can come up with, it is roughly, a 4WD On-road car that
has been altered to run on a track which is not carpet or smooth asphalt.

Alterations are primarily treaded tires, heavier springs and shock oil, higher ride hieght and a rally style body.

Is the above correct, is there more to it?

Are their tracks that have regular organized competition with these style cars.
I see no mention anywhere of any national or regional championship races.

Is being able to go over jumps part of being a rally car. Is running on a bumby, unswept asphalt parking lot "rally" racing?

Are there "rally" cars which run on your average dirt off road track?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

you are right on what a rally car is .. as for a governing body i've never heard of one but i could be wrong . as for going over jumps i say no rally racing is like on -road in the dirt .
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

rally racing is basically taking a car down a smooth fire road. not an offroad trail. but a fire road the same time of dirt road you could drive your personal car down. so they usually have 4 wheel drive for traction and at the speeds they go they are capable of jumping very high and far if you have ever watched world rally championships. you would see that on some tracks they get airborne quite reguarly but some tracks involve stages of asphalt. so its hard to run a r/c race. for example if you tried to do an accurate r/c ralley one day you would be in a parking lot the next you would be at a dirt track with small jumps. oh and the drivers would not be allowed to practice on either tracks before the race. if you were to hold a rally at a r/c track it would be good if it was a track where you would drive off of a dirt track into the parking lot thru a road course back into the dirt track. swap out a battery and keep going for 10 min. then the next time you could run the track in the opposite direction to keep it interesting. also tight lanes would keep the racing more realistic with staggered starts think that would be fun.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default I should have been more specific

I have a good idea about what full scale rally racing is.

I was interested in what the definition of RC 1/10 Electric "Rally" Racing is.
I have never seen any "rally" race event covered by the Mags.

ALSO,

I could see some positive points with having a racing class you could both run on and practice on, a generic un-prepared asphalt parking lot.

A clean smooth,blown off, treated, asphalt track has such different traction from the parking lot down the street from where you live; that practicing on it is pretty worthless.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Back in 2000 ( HPI may have done this elsewhere as well, I dunno ) RCMadness in Enfield, CT held an HPI Challenge series race. Being that Madness has both an onroad circuit and an offroad track, they ran the HPI Rally cars, I forget exactly what they were called. Half of the qualifiers for the Rally class were run on the onroad track, while the other half were run on the offroad. It was really quite the show to watch.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

as an owner of an hpi rs4 rally, i can say for sure that rc rally cars are VERY cool. i think that all tracks should support a class for rally cars if there are people there to run them.
i've mostly just heard of them being run at the hpi challenge events too, but im sure that they are raced elsewhere. like how in europe, 1/5 and 1/4 scale touring cars are more popular.
even if there isn't a track nearby, an rc rally car is good for areas that don't have such perfectly paved streets. they also handle snow better than regular touring cars.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

what types of tyres do you guys use for bumpy and dirty streets...cause my street doesnt have really good paved streets and im looking at getting a nitro on-road and making it a rally or like a hybrid.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Here is a good example of a rally car. It is a G.V Super Cobra. G.V. made 2 versions, the touring version and the buggy version. The only difference was tires, wheels and a body. Take a different set of tires and fit them on the buggy rims with the touring body and voila! Insta-rally! Check it out at www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/SuperCobra.html.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

the only rally tires i have used are the regular hpi rally tires. they are pretty much an all purpose off road tire, but wear out fast from constant asphalt running. hpi also makes a "pirelli T" tire for rally use, and i think tamiya makes some good block pattern tires. but i havent tried them yet.
that g.v. cobra is cool! it kind of has an almost "cartoon" look to it because of its shape and dimensions.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Well I bought the extra body to keep as a show body. It was sitting in a box in the LHS and it caught my eye. After about 5 minutes of eyeballing it's dimensions I realized that it would indeed fit the GV. I took it home for $10 and tested it out. Like a freakn' glove! All it needed was new holes...but I will wait till' I have better mounts. The current mounts are little standoffs made by the previous owner. They will work for now but soon I will look into a better, more professional way to mount the body.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

you should try making some aluminum body mounts. rally cars can take some hard hits if a high-speed drift goes awry. (into something)
Old 11-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Default Oragnized Racing ?

Is there any scheduded organized racing of "rally" cars.

If so what surface what kind of track. Rough Parking lot?
Dirt? Jumps or just kind of rough dirt terrain?

5 minute heats stock motors. Touring style 4wd drive cars or off road vehicles with sedan style bodies?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

i think a good r/c rally course would consist of aspalt, hard packed dirt, an area that crosses over some shallow water for maybe 2 feet, possibly some short grass, and gravel.
throw in some nice elevation changes to get the cars to do those cool short jumps, (like in full scale rally racing) and turns that allow for high speed drifting
and maybe some track hazards to avoid, like branches or something. (just to make it realistic.)
the vehicles would likely be based on touring cars, but with suspension and transmission modifications. probably like tc4's with rc10gt shocks and a slipper clutch.
as for motors, you would probably need a good powerful mod motor. it would seem fitting, because the majority of rally cars are turbo charged.

Last edited by rs4rallydriver; 11-16-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

I do run in rally events. Its one of the most exciting categories I heve ever tried. You can run in dirt tracks, smooth asphalt, smooth slipery surfaces, whith jumps, etc.

Here we do organice races, and as in real rally you have to make your best lap in a period called "prime". Some other times we race dual events, where you run 2 different tracks in opposite direction whith the other racer. (Rally of champions in Islas Canarias, Spain)

No, you can not practice because the circuit changes every day, but you do have to practice how to take turns correctly, how to use the brake and when to brake. If you see real rally events it is similar lo drifting but in a dirty bumpy track and much faster.

We use small plastic cones to draw the track, and if you hit them, your lap time is penalized.

In one season you have to run many different tracks in many different surfaces, but you have to use the same car throuout all the season.

Here we use HPI rally and Associated TC3 with rally conversion kit.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

between the tc4's with the rally conversion, and the rs4 rally, which cars seem to be better? or are they like the same with their own advantages and disadvantages?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.