VBC Lightning FX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
FXM
thrust bearing?
That would be nice, just include the Tamiya one. . .

Originally Posted by disaster999
Fair enough. I hope they did fix the massive slop in the front end tho

Also, it would be interesting to see how the rear pod holds up to the rear wing mount. I hope it would be a lot stronger than the swiss cheese of a x-brace wing mount before, but wouldnt be surprised if people starts breaking cracking the CF since all the energy is going through it in a crash.

Well it seems like, to me, they revolutionized something that didnt need revolutionizing and left the flawed parts still...flawed.
Where is the massive slop in the front-end? Does that take I while, haven't run mine much?

I've got pretty good slop in my 12R5.1, but it's a rocket ship.
Have tried to get rid of it, twice, to no avail. Replaced all the plastic bits and tried new bearings, ball cups, etc. Works great though. My TRF101 has no slop in it, though.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aracefan
That would be nice, just include the Tamiya one. . .

Where is the massive slop in the front-end? Does that take I while, haven't run mine much?

I've got pretty good slop in my 12R5.1, but it's a rocket ship.
Have tried to get rid of it, twice, to no avail. Replaced all the plastic bits and tried new bearings, ball cups, etc. Works great though. My TRF101 has no slop in it, though.
Im not sure on the newer kits, But when the FX first came out the pivot balls were too small for the eyelets so there would be a few degree of camber change when the car moves around. It doesnt seem to handle handling much, but its disconcerting when you see your car coming out of a corner and the front wheel is wobbling around.

There are mods where people replaced it with yokomo parts to help with the slop
Old 09-13-2016, 02:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

FYI the manual is available for the FXM.

The FXM doesn't come with an actual thrust bearing kit i.e Slapmaster, Tamiya, Yokomo. Instead it uses a large bearing. But, if you look closely at the manual shows a very simple and an effective design, which I assume will do the job. However, those who are looking for another option you can go ahead and remove the large kit bearing and replace it with a Yokomo thrust bearing - which I prefer.

The upper ball and ball cups have been redesigned so there is no slop. Hurray!

The FXM isn't done yet... trust me.

VBC is continually developing and producing new option parts for their current line of on-road kits.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these kits before Yatabe AOC.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 09-13-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Part# for the yokomo thrust?
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
Part# for the yokomo thrust?
Thanks!
Sorry, not off of the top of my head.

Google - Yokomo R12C3 thrust bearing, and thrust cone with Belleville washer.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Sorry, not off of the top of my head.

Google - Yokomo R12C3 thrust bearing, and thrust cone with Belleville washer.
Correction.

I've found a better setup than the Yokomo thrust cone and Belleville washer.

Watch this video to find out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2wCogQGcHY

One thing I didn't mention in the video that I USED the kit thin shim.

So... it goes like this,

kit bearing, Yokomo thrust bearing, thin shim, Kawada thrust cone, 3 Kawada Belleville washers, and wheel nut.

Boom- Bob's your uncle.

Super, super, suuuuuper smooth differential.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 09-14-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Like that they fixed the slop problems on the upper king pin assembly and center shock. The redesigned back of the car looks to be very positive improvement. Curious if the FXM main chassis is same as the FX. Will find out as soon as the new kit arrives and will build it up to run at the IIC in Vegas in October.

Panda
Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
Fair enough. I hope they did fix the massive slop in the front end tho

Also, it would be interesting to see how the rear pod holds up to the rear wing mount. I hope it would be a lot stronger than the swiss cheese of a x-brace wing mount before, but wouldnt be surprised if people starts breaking cracking the CF since all the energy is going through it in a crash.

Well it seems like, to me, they revolutionized something that didnt need revolutionizing and left the flawed parts still...flawed.
Not sure which flawed parts you speak of. You can complain about the slop in the front upper king pins but it's all in your head as far as it making a difference. Out of the 7 tracks I have been to in the north west the Lightning fx was the fastest kit around, whether it was in my hands or someone else's. As far as it goes I'm not really sure where all this negativity is coming from
Old 09-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

The FXM main chassis is slightly different to accommodate a new rear pod design. Steering bellcrank hole shifted forward slightly and some extra mounting holes on the side for something...

That's pretty much it.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlexPate
Not sure which flawed parts you speak of. You can complain about the slop in the front upper king pins but it's all in your head as far as it making a difference. Out of the 7 tracks I have been to in the north west the Lightning fx was the fastest kit around, whether it was in my hands or someone else's. As far as it goes I'm not really sure where all this negativity is coming from
Haters will be haters and not worth the time to worry about certain peoples comments. I cured the front slop only because it bugged me by putting the plastic parts bag over the ball then popping the end piece over it, then trimmed the plastic excess. I don't think it really made the car handle any better but it did make me feel more warm and fuzzy but it shows VBC is listening that they improved it. I think a certain person also forget to mention how many times they smacked a wall hard before breaking the wing mount. I broke one before but less times than the X-rays I run against on our indoor carpet track broke their upper carbon front arms at $ 20.00 each.I think the FXM is going to be a even more stable car and easier to adjust with all the changes made to the back half and can't wait to debut mine at the IIC in Vegas in 3 weeks. And the FX is still such a good car, I already have offers from two friends at my local track who want to buy my current car.

Panda
Old 09-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Haters will be haters and not worth the time to worry about certain peoples comments. I cured the front slop only because it bugged me by putting the plastic parts bag over the ball then popping the end piece over it, then trimmed the plastic excess. I don't think it really made the car handle any better but it did make me feel more warm and fuzzy but it shows VBC is listening that they improved it. I think a certain person also forget to mention how many times they smacked a wall hard before breaking the wing mount. I broke one before but less times than the X-rays I run against on our indoor carpet track broke their upper carbon front arms at $ 20.00 each.I think the FXM is going to be a even more stable car and easier to adjust with all the changes made to the back half and can't wait to debut mine at the IIC in Vegas in 3 weeks. And the FX is still such a good car, I already have offers from two friends at my local track who want to buy my current car.

Panda
Very well said. Wishing I was able to go to Iic as well.
I'm also happy to say that the new brass bulkhead fits the standard Tamiya wing with out any modifications required. The only downside is this meant I had to put a new wing on lol.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Alex, these guys are making it hard to NOT pull the trigger on the "M". I'm still waiting patiently (not) on the aluminum chassis to come in from GripworksRC!!

I may have to get myself an early Christmas F1. . .
Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Alex, these guys are making it hard to NOT pull the trigger on the "M". I'm still waiting patiently (not) on the aluminum chassis to come in from GripworksRC!!

I may have to get myself an early Christmas F1. . .
I spent 3 hours looking for that chassis, turns out it fell off the wall into a box that got places on the top shelf... I wanted to cry. Was so happy when I found it
Old 09-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AlexPate
I spent 3 hours looking for that chassis, turns out it fell off the wall into a box that got places on the top shelf... I wanted to cry. Was so happy when I found it
Hahahaha!! That's so funny, and happens to me all too often. when I don't need it, I know right where it is - when I'm looking for it, it's gone!

I can't wait to put that thing on there! Just the cool factor is going to shave a few 1/10's off my lap times, can - not - wait.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Hahahaha!! That's so funny, and happens to me all too often. when I don't need it, I know right where it is - when I'm looking for it, it's gone!

I can't wait to put that thing on there! Just the cool factor is going to shave a few 1/10's off my lap times, can - not - wait.
I really wanted one but I couldn't get my hands on them until the end of carpet season. And now they are all gone😭 But there is a new kit to build when I get home next week 😄😄

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.