Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock Position settings ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Shock Position settings ????

Hi there people, could you please explain to me the shock positions on the shock tower and the lower arms.

I run on mid grip asphalt using rubbers.

Thanks for looking
Old 11-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll try

If you move the shocks inward on the tower or arm, it makes the shock act a little softer. Moving them out has the opposite effect. If you lay the shock down it will produce a little more grip at that end of the car but it will react a little slower, so if you lay them down it will give more mid corner and exit steering, but sacrifice turn in. Standing them up gives more turn in but less mid corner and exit steering. Also, if you move the position on the arm, it usually has a greater effect than moving the position on the shock tower.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And for most setups you should try having the rear shocks out a little further compared to the fronts, and they should be layed down a little more. Hopefully this helps
Old 11-02-2005, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

beer drinker, (ha! bloody aussie ) i think you are a tad wrong with some of the stuff you said. this is how i understand it:

-springs/tower pos/arm position all play a part.

HIGHER ON THE TOWER (further out)
places the shock at a greater angle. this means that a greater force is needed to be applied through the arm (via sideways movement and force) for the shock to react.

SUBSEQUENTLY:
this makes the car "slide" more. not necessarily "slide" but the time it takes for the arm to move (ie make the rear end slide) is longer.

WHAT EFFECT DOES THIS CREATE?:
-basically on a slippery track the shocks high on the tower measn the car will slide around the corner more before gripping. this is good for a tight twisty track but not good for a open flowing slippery track.

-this setting also creates the feeling that the car is more "agressive" and "agile" ie it feels like it reacts to your steering inputs quicker.

REAR SHOCKS LAYED DOWN?
basically oposite effect. the car feels more progressive. ie small steering inputs won't create a "jerky" "responsive" feel as it did witht he shocks high up. you may feel like you have better grip,b ut the car will also be slower in entering and exiting the corners, but will not slide as much.

INNER HOLE ON THE ARM/OUTER HOLE?
IT IS THE SAME EFFECT AS LOWERING OR ANGLING THE SHOCKS. but i think from memory, the arm position has a greater effect. ie one hole up or down on the arm means like 3 holes difference on the tower.

in conclusion:
the best way to know is to have the right set of tires on your car for your track.
1)put the shocks at the most layed down position
2) then at the highest most angled position and see the difference for yourself. it is very specific to your track/conditions/grip and tyres.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

venom isn't this a RC forum? I tell ya the liberals are losing their minds.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

shock on outerside of wishbone.this makes the suspension stiffer giving better turn in or quicker reaction but doesnt offer as much grip med-exit corner.

shock on inside of wishbone.gives a slower reaction but creates more traction med-exit of the corner.

outside hole on tower.same as outside wishbone

inside hole on tower.same as inner part on wishbone.