Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Las Vegas 2006 Winter Wind-Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
When the heck did you guys take this picture and where was I???
I think you were with Jimmey.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Default Race Report

From 4 Aces Racing of Las Vegas

The 2006 Winter Wind Up has come and gone and what a race it was! This year marked the second running of the first big race of the season; and with nearly twice the number of entries as last year, this race is shaping into the premier early season National level event. Drivers from as far away as New York, Georgia, and Compton came to town to show their best early season form. Factory reps from Serpent, Mugen, Shepard, Delta, and Kyosho were on hand to help out privateer racers.
Track prep ended late Wednesday afternoon and some of the early birds got a head start on practice. With a majority of the racers showing up on Thursday, the bite came to the conditions racers are accustomed to, and if the stop watch was any indication, track records were going to be in danger the following day.
Qualifying began on Friday and continued through Saturday. With dual round points being used, all racers had to be in top form from the get go. In touring car it was all Darin Ishitani, as he cruised to the TQ spot with Vegas’ finest Scott Fisher, the Arizona terror Brad Toffelmire, and the old school stand in Tracy Grieger in tow. Privateer racer Jerry Rapp put in a couple of good runs to also make the show.
In 1/8th, it was a battle between Darin Ishitani and Kevin Jelich. Both drivers challenged the track record for qualifying but had to pit for fuel in each attempt. Serpent driver Chris Verano was also very fast but had tuning issues and limped into the main. Other notables were Alex Frank and Paul Ciccarello.
Throughout the weekend, the racers enjoyed clear and calm weather, and were treated to track side concessions by the Evil Café Crew. Team Taylor ran a near flawless program and provided trackside parts support with Arrows tires, Byron Fuels, GS products, Novarossi engines, and of course spare parts for all the cars.
Sunday morning saw the arrival of Brian Thomas and Jose Casas. These two dominated the C and B mains in Sedan and bumped to the A. In the A main, there were numerous lead changes between Ishitani, Thomas, Casas, Fisher, and Toffelmire. Nearly everyone in the main, including Ishitani, had to come of the track for repairs or adjustments at some point in the race. Some drivers had to change receiver batteries, others had to replace stripped gears, and a few just had bad luck during pit stops and had to search for the problems. In the end, Ishitani came out on top and took home the trophy with Mike Strack and Jose Casas following.
In 1/8th, Kenny Jones and Canyon Thompson another privateer bumped from the C to the B. The B main was the Garen Hagobian show, as he lead wire to wire with his Byron fueled Serpent 960. Quaid Simek drove a consistent race to come home in second. The A main started smooth for everyone except local hot shot Steve Jackson and Southern California old timer Dana Smelzter. With 1 Kyosho, 1 Delta, 3 Serpents and 7 Mugen’s, it was a good mix of cars. By the 10 minute mark the Serpent cars of Verano and Hagobian had moved into 3rd and 4th. Ishitani lead early but came off the track for repairs. With Jelich in the lead and Ron Calangi in tow, it was Mugen, Mugen, Serpent, Serpent. Verano then ran over some debris and hit the boards hard, and he was out for repairs. The order remained Jelich, Calangi, and Hagobian for most of the race. Ishitani slowly worked his way around traffic and passed Simek for 4th with about 20 minutes left. At about the 45 minute mark, Calangi developed transmission problems and fell off the pace. This allowed Hagobian to erase the 2 lap deficit and close to gap to just a few meters with less than 7 minutes of racing left. After making his second to last pit stop, Garen was a few feet behind Ron. After attempting several passes, Garen got an inside clean line and during the pass attempt, Ron unexpectedly shut the door, spinning Garen’s 960 hard into the wall and ending his day. Just a few laps later, Ron’s transmission problem proved to be terminal, ending his hopes of a top 4 finish. This allowed his Mugen teammate to move into second and the privateer Simek to finish 3rd,with Jelich taking home a well deserved victory.
So another Vegas race is in the books. Some got lucky in Sin City, and some could not find the Lady. 4 Aces would like to thank everyone who participated, and invite all racers to attend the Vegas Grand Prix this Spring, the Paris Memorial this Fall, and for all ROAR Region 12 members, the Regionals this Fall. See you next time!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Default THANK YOU

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that made the 2006 Winter Wind-UP a great sucess. We are very happy with the turn out and the quality of racing. I hope everyone received there post card. We have BIG things planned for the coming months that I am sure everyone will enjoy. We are already getting ready for the April Las Vegas Grand Prix. We should have things up and running in the next week or so. I will let you in on the latest its flat and 1.5 inches thick. See you in April
Old 02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice report Rich.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 02-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Tech Addict

Default richey

what duz that mean ?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

yo isuzuboy it means you should have been there lol
Old 02-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Default mike jones

da amn! check your pm mike jones .
Old 02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by richey
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that made the 2006 Winter Wind-UP a great sucess. We are very happy with the turn out and the quality of racing. I hope everyone received there post card. We have BIG things planned for the coming months that I am sure everyone will enjoy. We are already getting ready for the April Las Vegas Grand Prix. We should have things up and running in the next week or so. I will let you in on the latest its flat and 1.5 inches thick. See you in April
Rich u guys re-doing the track?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Please Check The Las Vegas Grand Prix Thread