Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation help meltdown

i recently put a 12 turn motor in my traxxas bandit. the motor burned up my batterys they like melted and no longer work. when this happened my motor was almost to hot to touch. if any one knows why this happened and/or knows how to fix it or what i should do please tell my or email me.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weirdkid
i recently put a 12 turn motor in my traxxas bandit. the motor burned up my batterys they like melted and no longer work. when this happened my motor was almost to hot to touch. if any one knows why this happened and/or knows how to fix it or what i should do please tell my or email me.
Could be a few problems there. First off, if you are using the original "Tamiya" battery and motor connectors, then there is your first problem. Second, if you are using the original pinion, then you are way over geared and need to drop teeth. Third, if this is the stock ESC, then your in for a world of hurt. You can't just drop a 12-turn modified motor in a RTR and expect it to work.

BTW, what kind of batteries are these, and did the batteries themselves melt (which would be REALLY hot), or was it the shrink wrap around the batteries (which is what I assume you are talking about)?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

ok thank u for replying. i have a 12 turnesc or what ever u call it. i have a few different batterys lets see i have a sanyo cadnica battery that melted the bottom mlatic pice and unsoted a metal piece and is all melted and cracked on the metal part. i also have dyna-fun 1500 that melted the shrikrap and the like glue or smthing. my pionon gear (i am a bad speller) has 26 teeth on it i dont now if thats the stock one or not i bought the car used. i also heard that i might be working my motor to hard and is get hot and making the battery hot. they he said i might have to change spur gears but i dont now what way to go up or down in teeth i have a 78 tooth spur gear on it now. now what should i do?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHY IT IS DOING THIS?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sounds like you are way over geared for this car. I went to Traxxas' website and found that the original gearing is a 18t pinion and 78t spur gear. Here are the links for the parts list:

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ndit-parts.pdf

and here is the exploded view so you can see what part numbers of the gears and anything else on the transmission you might want to know.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ndit-trans.pdf

I would start with the original gearing and work from there. This way you know where to stop with the gearing and everytime you change gearing and run the car, chech to see how hot the motor and battery get. I figure this might help you and also figure out a gear ratio that is not going to kill your motor and batteries.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I second w2hat Carlos said: if you are running a 26-tooth pinion, and the stock pinion was an 18-tooth (for use with a 20-turn motor according to the diagram), then you are WAY over-geared. You should be down towards 14 or 15. I'm suprised you haven't mentioned the smoke coming out of your motor.

As an additional note, I have to wonder if your hot modified and low-turn ESC are pulling too many amps from your old battteries. Those older batteries were only designed to pull so many amps, and that motor and ESC may be overtaxing them. You should get new batteries (NiCads are durable, but I don't think they are going to survive this). At the very least, stick with a stock motor.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

You sound very new to this hobby, so we'll start with the basics. Do you run you batteries back to back to back without letting them cool down for at least two hours, or do you charge them right after you run them in the car?