Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Anyone interested in 1/8 on road in AZ? >

Anyone interested in 1/8 on road in AZ?

Anyone interested in 1/8 on road in AZ?

Old 11-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Initiate

There are 4 of us now that are interested in getting something going...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It only takes 1...

.... build it and they will come
Old 11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh jesus man, I WISH!

I don't want to sound like a pit bitch, but GET REAL!

One person never did anything by themselves that was ever worth while except Jesus and none of us are him last time I checked! LOL . It takes at least 10 to 15 people to get a project like this off the ground and some serious ones at that.

There needs to be no dissolution about the time and energy spent on a project like the one we are talking about starting up. It's all fine and dandy to talk like we do here about starting a project like an on road racing track, but you will soon find out who the talkers are and who the walkers are when the 1st meeting comes around and commitments are to be made.

I am an enthusiast but I have also been a participant and know very well what kind of fortitude is required for this kind of endeavour.

I know I will be front and center...

Are you ready?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i'll join in
Old 11-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

I'm all in! I know there are more guys out there too so lets do this. Speak up guys and lets see how many serious people we can get together on this. I really can't stand just looking at my XP4 anymore!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

you know i was really up for doing something here in arizona about onroad gas racing. i've talked to sam felish, scott hendrickson, sean sanchez (dawn's husband), and many others about starting one. i guess, the first start is to have a club and have a group of guys who are dedicated to the project. i know for a fact that SRS is not as big as other tracks out there but we go there every week and run our cars because that's me and my brothers passion. we love running our cars. it may be a small track but we always show up and on a number of occasions, even stayed there just to run our cars on breaks (it takes at least 3 cars to have a race). we always show up and race to try to promote the nitro sedan class because we want it to get bigger here in arizona.

mr. sam, you were talking about someone who was not helped when you were over at SRS... you may be talking about a new electric racer then, because me and my bro help people out over there. there was one guy who stopped by and raced (he's probably like 19 or 20 yrs. old) but he left early due to his curfew being 10pm and him living in anthem didn't help either. but if it was electric, i probably need more help than a newbie

we used to have a minimum of 10 gas sedans every week racing at SRS consistently. but financial, family, work, and a number of other issues made a lot of them drop the hobby. newcomers are very minimal. i guess the reason for that, generally, is because of the lack of support of the stores locally. i mean, where can you locally buy a gas sedan that is race worthy (i.e. mugen, kyosho, etc.). almost every week, i get questions from somebody asking where to get the car we are driving. i then go out telling them about online stores and i don't think it's appealing at all. it's always nice to have something inside a store where the customer can actually look at the product. and besides, a lot of people still don't trust online transactions 100%.

so get those sedans out and dust them off and race! it may not be a killer track (SRS) but it's still competition and it's still racing. show up consistently and let's start a club. from there we can then go up the ladder... one step at a time!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

SRS was a joke when i went there. Honestly even if I did get a sedan again, I still wouldn't run it on that track. But it's nice to see that you and your bro are willing to help the racers that you can. Talk to the other guys that go to SRS with you and tell them about what we'd all like to do. We're going to need a lot more than 4 or 5 guys to do this!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking

This is great conversation and feedback so far. I agree that in order to get things organized you need to start a club. When I was in Portland, Or we formed a great club there, but the dates, locations and organizing always came down to the three of us out of the 25 who were active members.
However, we always could count on them on race day. nearly every person would help set up and tear down. We could get it all done quickly. Our biggest obsticle was getting someone to run the race. Now with the new lap timing software you can pretty much have the race run by computer. But you should still always have commentary and that means someone needs to call the race, identify the persons name and car number. We had ratating club members do it, each sacrificing a race day. This was ok until you decided to run a points series.Also, some guys were just plain awful.

Sorry, I sometmes go in to too much detail.

What we should all be activley doing over the next couple weeks is looking for a site to race. I will be looking and already have a couple things in mind. I have to leave next Tuesday for a week. When I get back I would like to suggest that we meet at a pizza parlor someplace neutral to all of us (or as close to it as possible) so we can see what others have discovered and hear suggestions from each of us.

One more question, is there a roar sanctioned club that is already established here inthe Valley? That would make the process easier. We should involve as many people as possible.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

i am not a nitro racer,i do race electric at srs and i though someone who had a positive beginer experience there should chime in,that person is me!!a few friends and myself got into the hobby over the summer and started racing at srs in august,everone there,including the gas racers were kind enough to answer our newbie questions with a smile,scott was great as well.as with any hobby/sport you have a few ppl with the attitude(not the good one)and we quickly found them by the"i dont run that car so dont bother me"type responses we got.as a whole,srs,scott and the racers have helped us come a long way in a short time,we love the hobby and arent going to quit anytime soon.

as far as a new track,if it was sized to accomodate 1/10 electric, i would love to be a part of it,i wouldnt mind trying gas either,but right now the funds dont permit it.

p.s. jo G is always asking"so,when are you gonna get a gas car???"
Old 11-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Derek K
i am not a nitro racer,i do race electric at srs and i though someone who had a positive beginer experience there should chime in,that person is me!!a few friends and myself got into the hobby over the summer and started racing at srs in august,everone there,including the gas racers were kind enough to answer our newbie questions with a smile,scott was great as well.as with any hobby/sport you have a few ppl with the attitude(not the good one)and we quickly found them by the"i dont run that car so dont bother me"type responses we got.as a whole,srs,scott and the racers have helped us come a long way in a short time,we love the hobby and arent going to quit anytime soon.

as far as a new track,if it was sized to accomodate 1/10 electric, i would love to be a part of it,i wouldnt mind trying gas either,but right now the funds dont permit it.

p.s. jo G is always asking"so,when are you gonna get a gas car???"

so when are you gonna get a nitro car?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spdtch
SRS was a joke when i went there. Honestly even if I did get a sedan again, I still wouldn't run it on that track. But it's nice to see that you and your bro are willing to help the racers that you can. Talk to the other guys that go to SRS with you and tell them about what we'd all like to do. We're going to need a lot more than 4 or 5 guys to do this!
yeah SRS may be a joke to you and to other people, but it's the only track right now to get to race our cars. the other option is to go out of town which a couple of our race buddies are doing very consistently. but for me, family, time and money don't allow me to be able to go out of town a lot. there may only be 4 or 5 of us showing on friday nights, but i'm pretty sure that those 4 or 5 will be willing to help because they can show up consistently on a "joke" track as you described it, so what more if they have a track meant for their cars and just like i mentioned in my previous post, for those who have a nitro car, go race it even at a small track like SRS because it's the start. show up consistently and show your dedication and let's form our club then go up the ladder one step at a time.

i'm from the philippines and when i was young i used to love playing basketball. not having any basketball court, me and my buddies built our own little court on a dirt yard. it may not be the right size and it wasn't pretty at all (heck, we had to fix the damn ring everyday), but we used it just because that was the only one we had. i'm not gonna wait to have a phoenix suns style gym in town just to go out and play!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Stew
One more question, is there a roar sanctioned club that is already established here inthe Valley? That would make the process easier. We should involve as many people as possible.

as far as i know, no there's not.

last year, i spoke with sean sanchez (dawn's husband) and his wife was a roar officer (but i think she is retiring at the end of this year). he was interested in having a roar sanctioned club here and said he was gonna try to get us started. but it all faded away, i guess because of what he saw as far as the number of gas sedan racers in the valley. but this is only my assumption. i am not sure why all of the sudden it all faded away.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

I appologize. I really wasn't trying to rag on SRS at all and I give all you guys credit for trying to make something out of it. But honestly we do need a bigger and better facility to help the sport grow. As you said there are those 4 or 5 guys that show up every Friday and are dedicated to the sport and I'm sure they would love to see it grow into something much larger than it is now and so would all the beginners. In my opinion I think its horrible that they have to travel to another state to race, and it puts people like you that don't have the time or money out of the action. Like you said, we have to work our way up the ladder and I think its time that we start doing so. Lets do what Stew suggested and get together when he returns and talk about what we can do to start that process.

Canyon
Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

oh no need for apologies canyon, it's all good. we've been dreaming of a bigger track forever. i remember 3 years ago when i first went to vegas and saw the "real" deal. it was awesome! instantly, the 1/8th scale onroad became my dream car. i've always wanted to have one but it's really tough to shell out a lot of money for something that will not be used on a regular basis.

but yeah, let's all get together and talk about it. i'll let the other guys know.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Yeah 1/8th scale has always been my class of choice. My dad used to race when I was a little kid back when they ran only 2wd with the Delta Eagle. He got my little brother and I involved in it when I was 14 with the BMT 891 Austin. It was the most fun I've ever had. Anyway, yeah talk to the other guys and we'll get a location and date for a meeting.

By the way Jo, are you considering getting into 1/8th scale?

Canyon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.