Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Dead shorting a stick pack? Is it possible? >

Dead shorting a stick pack? Is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dead shorting a stick pack? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Dead shorting a stick pack? Is it possible?

Is there any way to dead short a stick pack to get a bit more power out of it? The new spec class at my track requires stick packs, so I need to find some ways to get max power out of them.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

put them on a bulb discharger for atleast an hour after lights go out. Then make another plug that just loops over the pos and neg terminals. Put that one after you take the battery off the bulbs.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Is there any way to dead short a stick pack to get a bit more power out of it? The new spec class at my track requires stick packs, so I need to find some ways to get max power out of them.
Put a stick pack to 0V, means you need to get access to each single cells , you need to get at least 5 cable (or connection) out of the 6 cells. (You can also put a 0V easily between the full pack ... but in most of the case you will see that some cells have gone into reverse, and oder have not been fully discharged ... so you have a nice pack ready to put in the trash !)

I don't want to say that it is impossible, but it could take some time and skills for do it right, and at the end it is not very firndly in a racing environment.

I would suggets to get a Spintec BatMan, or a Trinity Pulse discharge ... this will work fine on a stick pack, and discharge the pack down to 0.85v taking care to avoid to reverse a cell.

The damage on a reverse cell it is far higher then the benefit to drop the voltage of a cell to much down !

So take care to equilize the cell time to time (with a 1/10 or 1/20 long charge) ... and use a deep discharger capable to prevent battery reverse like the two mention above.

e_lm_70
Old 10-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got yer stick pack right here! Just put different label on it and don't let anybody weigh your car!

http://www.tanicpacks.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=520

But....about the only way to do it right would be to build your own stick packs with "tap" wires to each cell. Probably easier and cheaper to just get a new pack every 3 weeks to cycle into your rotation.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WheelNut

At the tamiya championship race, past champions have to run a spec class. And part of it is that they have to run a tamiya stick pack and the races are 8 minutes long. He designed a way at the track, which dead shorted each individual cell. Before he figuered out how, he was dumping every run. After, he made it through the race with no issues and good power. Only problem for him, is that he took to much time off, and wasn't very consistant. Ling, might be designeing a system to sell to the public. So, I personally can't tell how he did it. Just wanted to let you know it is very possible and easy to do.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Very possible, been doing this for two years. Started with a modified Trinity discharge tray but last year moved up to a modified 'Frankenstein' Novak tray. Works great and my cells are very happy! May post pics at some point, but anyone who's attended a regional TCS race for the past two years has probably seen this, as I don't hide (much) and a number of people have asked me about it...Gordon and Elm70 are pretty close to the answer.
Later
Doc