Wiki Posts
Search

Help on choosing tyre for season

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help on choosing tyre for season

I would appreciate your help for choosing tyre compound for next year's season. Currently we are using Take Off CS 27 with medium insert. It was ok tyre but on hot days one set was ok only for 3 rounds!! Do you have in mind another tyre combination?

Looking forward for you replies!

Nick

Last edited by nnick; 10-11-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Only three rounds! we have used ours for 30 plus, they are known for there longevity and durability maybe you should try firm inserts.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Shop Owner

On hot days yes. With used tyres (3rd time and after) the laps were even 1-2secs slower!!! Track's temperature around 50C

Maybe as you suggested we should use the medium-hard insert next year.
Another option is the LRP/Nosram Vtec tyre which is harder.

Nick
Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie O
Only three rounds! we have used ours for 30 plus, they are known for there longevity and durability maybe you should try firm inserts.
Yeah, that seems to be the norm. The cs27's last forever and a day.
Now as far as being slower after the 3rd use, I am no where near that good of a driver to comment on that.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Sorex 36's with Sorex C medium Inserts grip very well in warm/hot conditions. They are a fairly hard tire compared to the TO 27, but they do provide good traction, especially with the C medium insert as its a low profile insert so there is quite a lot of air-gap.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Shop Owner

Originally Posted by minicooper
Yeah, that seems to be the norm. The cs27's last forever and a day.
Now as far as being slower after the 3rd use, I am no where near that good of a driver to comment on that.
We don't consider ourselves expert drivers but AMB doesn't lie

The bad thing about Take Off tyres is that sometimes they don't look warn but they don't provide good grip!

Nick
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Shop Owner

Originally Posted by Jack2
Sorex 36's with Sorex C medium Inserts grip very well in warm/hot conditions. They are a fairly hard tire compared to the TO 27, but they do provide good traction, especially with the C medium insert as its a low profile insert so there is quite a lot of air-gap.
We used this combo at the 2004 Euro. They did provide good traction (suprinsigly) on the cold weather but again on hot conditions they worn out fast (slower that the Take Off)

Nick
Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Run a harder Takeoff, isnt there are CS32 or something?
I know there is a Sorex 40. 50 Degress celcius is pretty hot to be running a 27 compound.

Note: All rubber tires will get slower with subsequent heat cycles, its just how much grip you want to start off with.

Last edited by Besercoe; 10-11-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

There is a Take Off 37. I have never actually used them but it may be worth a try.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nnick
We don't consider ourselves expert drivers but AMB doesn't lie

The bad thing about Take Off tyres is that sometimes they don't look warn but they don't provide good grip!

Nick
I hear you nnick, I meant that I was not good enough or consistant enough to notice or give advice on reduced lap times.

I was just looking at a set of take off 27's that I have and they over a year old (actually two reedy races ago) and they look almost new. There is always so many things you can spray on them to bring the grip back up. Like wd40, tire sauce, simple green, etc etc... I guess that is why I keep them. Please money is tight right now
Old 10-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

The last time Hara came over to my club by invatattion of the local hpi distributor.Hara used 36R with C med inserts and after one run he cut up the tires,took out the inserts and glued a new set.Just 1 run !!!

Guess our place is very hot and the tires are only good for a heat cycle and then it just drop from there...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ben.C
The last time Hara came over to my club by invatattion of the local hpi distributor.Hara used 36R with C med inserts and after one run he cut up the tires,took out the inserts and glued a new set.Just 1 run !!!

Guess our place is very hot and the tires are only good for a heat cycle and then it just drop from there...

Hara is a sponsored driver! he gets all the tires & inserts he wants, i seriously doubt he wore out a set of any tires in one run!?, he probably wanted to try that particular insert with another tire combo thats why he cut them out.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

From what I've heard, the CS series of tyres is out of production (or will be soon), so they might not be around for the next season. But of course, there will be a replacement tyre from TakeOff, I can't remember their product names though.
Pretty much all manufacturers offer harder tyres as well, CS-27 was/is kind of medium/soft compound from TakeOff.

About wearing rate - speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Sure the silly fast guys run all tyres for one run and then bin them (or sell to the guy next to them for a fraction of the price). Easy to do that when you have a tire sponsor. The truth is that all rubber tyres loose traction while they wear, there's no way around it.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A 50c track is very hot. If the tyres you are using are at the soft/medium end of the range mabey they are just overheating. Try something harder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.