Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with stock racing 21.5

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Syd
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with stock racing 21.5

I need some help with getting my laptimes down.

I run a VBC D06 on asphalt and need some general tips on how to get more speed out of my car.

Rules:

21.5 fixed timing motor (4 to choose from)
Rollout limited to 54mm
Spec Tires
Battery must be roar approved.
Minimum weight 1380g

Currently my car is a close as possible to the minimum weight and my rollout is 53.74mm.

At our last race I was about 1s down on my fastest lap from the fastest guy and the difference between my fastest and avg lap times was between 0.25s and 0.3s.

The car felt real good and predictable, car didn't understeer and had enough steering.
My belts is adjusted as loose as possible (1 up from slipping) with 0 deg toe in front and 1.5 deg toe in the rear.
Spool in front with 5k in the rear diff.
Bearings is in good condition and only lightly oiled.

I'm running a HW 21.5 paired with a HW Justock. ESC set to full punch with 0 drag brake.

Does anyones have some tips to get more speed out of the car?
Old 03-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

Run a diff in the front, it will reduce the scrubbing of the front wheels that you get with a spool, what were the 4 choices of motor, the HW's are pretty sweet and have 22deg of internal timing but you may have a better option.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 AM
Syd
Tech Rookie

The other motors options is:

Team Powers Racer Cup 21.5T
Team Wave Linear 21.5T
SP 21.5 Ultra Sportsman Stock* V3

The Team Wave and SP motors is hard to come by these days.

I will try a diff in front, what oil do u recommend?
Old 03-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syd
Does anyones have some tips to get more speed out of the car?
Click here http://www.rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/

You need to understand your setup first in order to make the correct changes.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Post up in the D06/ D07 forum you might get more usefull info. Also how is rotation through the corners. 5k rear fluid sounds a bit thick with a high turn stock motor. Try stepping down to 3k or even 1k.

With being that close to the pack average, it could be something as simple as hitting your line correctly. Im in a similar situation. I am in the middle to top of the pack as far as avg speed, and can sometime pull the fastest lap, but I just cant get it consistently enough to pull off a podium finish.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Syd
Tech Rookie

The rotation is awesome, I actually dial some steering out on my radio. The traction is quite high, since this was for the national series the track was well prepped and sugared.

Most of our tracks is quite a bit more open than the US tracks that I've seen.

I used to use 3k in the diff but the car lacked on power steering and acceleration out of the corners. With the thicker oil I can get on the throttle earlier and carry more speed into the straight. I finished 5th overall in the A-mains for 21.5T so the car is not slow and the setup was good, I just need that little extra.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My son Dean runs the D06 in 21.5 and he has had a few podium finishes.
As long as the cars drive train is free and the setup is reasonable, then driving style will make a BIG difference. A lot of it is about carrying corner speed and been able to put the power down. You want a setup to help with grip, but you don't want to be bogged down either. Dean has been using the flex chasis on our low grip tracks and it works really well. (Trying a new chassis soon a different carbon weave.)
In 21.5, it is critical you have a very smooth driving style. Diving into corners, hard braking, then smashing the throttle is not the way to drive fast.
We had a driver coach my son on driving smoother and he gained 1 second a lap in a 18 sec track.
Try Ryan Makers setup either the D06 or the D07 work quite well. It's on the petitrc site. Our low grip track we use 800 diff oil and for a high grip track we use 1k. I would think a spool would be faster than a front diff as it would apply the power down better, but for some driving styles a front diff maybe better.
Setup is another big part of been able to drive consistently fast. Tyres are the first thing to choose wisely. Also be careful on setups as some work for mod, 13.5 racing but isn't always the fastest for 21.5.
As the professor said, try the d06 forum or I can send you our setup.