Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3 pin Deans for easy switching from brushless to brushed. >

3 pin Deans for easy switching from brushless to brushed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 pin Deans for easy switching from brushless to brushed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 3 pin Deans for easy switching from brushless to brushed.

I called up Deans to see if they had plans for making a 3 pin Ultra connector. Although he was not allowed to disclose any details, it sounded like it was coming soon. A Deans 3 pin (pole) Ultra connector would be perfect for switching from brushed to brushless while still staying compatible with all of my gear and my friend's gear.

So, in the meantime, I made my own connector with some superglue and a dremel.

Here is my setup with a Brushless motor:

And here is my setup with a Brushed motor:

I'm not sure about the Novak GTB, but for the LRP Sphere, all you have to do for a brushed motor is combine the blue and yellow wires. From one of the male Deans connectors I disassembled, I used a spare connector to short the blue and yellow wires:

This could also be done with wire.

I'm really happy with the results. The superglue holds extremely well, and now I can easily interchange my brushed and brushless motors with my new Sphere. Additionally, the 3rd connector on the brushed motors does not interfere when I use a brushed speed controller that only 2 connectors. I'm looking forward to when Deans releases their 3 pin version of the Ultra connector.

Last edited by Katana Man; 04-18-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

VERY smart. It's refreshing to see some genuine ingenuity here.

-Sean
Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I did the same thing to my Novak GTB and it works great!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice little innovation!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Very cool. Deans might just use yours as a prototype for their new connector.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a U-Force 75 and made up a 4 pin plug joining 2 plugs together. The U-Force has the 3 standard wires for brushless and to run brushed needs a positive off the battery. Should work great hopefully.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

That is a great idea. Glad I found this post I was going to do something like that......saves me using my brain to figure out how I was going to do it with deans ends. LOL
Old 10-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I don't know the brand but a friend of mine uses some low profile gold palted "bullet connectors to similar effect. He has no polarization though.
I've seen Novak's version of the brushed wiring and somehow it seems that you need all three wires on won of the negative pole and the positive direct. It's wierd.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Am I crazy or is this setup impossible? Wired this way there is a positive lead going to both poles on the motor.
Attached Thumbnails 3 pin Deans for easy switching from brushless to brushed.-gtb_system_1wire_1000px.jpg  
Old 10-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wow, that requires an extra wire compared to the Sphere. As seen by the above picture, the Sphere brushed setup is easier and cleaner.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i just got me a Novak GTB and 5.5 - i am wanting to use my GTB for my brushed motors as well - but it seems like it is going to be a major pain to use this ESC for both - you have to solder 3 wires on the negative tab of the motor -

anyone else with GTB figure out an easier setup for both brushed and brushless...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Mr. McGoo i just got me a Novak GTB and 5.5 - i am wanting to use my GTB for my brushed motors as well - but it seems like it is going to be a major pain to use this ESC for both - you have to solder 3 wires on the negative tab of the motor -

anyone else with GTB figure out an easier setup for both brushed and brushless...
Sounds like you need the same set up as mine. I have a GTB on its way as well which I will do the same as my U-Force. Get 2 Deans connectors and stick them together, hook the 3 wires off the esc to 3 terminals, then take a lead straight off the battery positive terminal on the esc and run it to the 4th pin on the plug. With the motor end, for a brushless motor, just have the positive wire from the battery not connected to anything, for a brushed motor, have the 3 brushless wires with a piece of wire or something across. I wish I had a camera as its hard to explain, but the way I've done it, it looks very good and does the job brilliantly.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

For brushed, why does it need all 3?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Alot of people are asking about wiring up their GTB and LRP brushless speedys so i thoguth i would bump up this thread.
Jamie
Old 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

I haven't used these yet but they look promising for this application.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHEB5&P=7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.