Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
which motor for my T3 Associated >

which motor for my T3 Associated

which motor for my T3 Associated

Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default which motor for my T3 Associated

Wondering which motor i should run in my T3 associated. I can only run 19T motor(club rules and 3000ma batteries) the track is 30X60 feet on carpet with ramps and many turns. Was thinking of the checkpoint 19T. looks like its rebuildable and you can by a new armature for it also

thanks.

Last edited by Smooth; 10-06-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would run one of the following:

Reedy Quad Mag with Trinity XXX brushes
Team Orion Element (regular style or V2)

The magnets in these are excellent, they are rebuildable, and they put out great power. For standard style motors, use the trinity XXX brushes.

The Quad Mag will make overall more power just by the nature of quad magnets (confirmed this with the late Big Jim).

What I like about the element better than the Reedy Quad Mag is the amount of low end torque it had. Was excellent for truck and other high torque applications. Not sure however how the V2 style one is with torque however.

From what I have seen in full mod, V2s seem to be more RPMish than a similar motor with that endbell. This was good in standard offroad conditions where too much torque just causes wheel spin but as you are on carpet, it shouldn't be an issue.

I did truck racing on carpet over jumps, very fun, 19 turn motors really rip on that surface.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

David basically has you covered. Now that Checkpoint and Orion have their new style motors which are more efficient and produce slightly more power. I would go with those then the conventional (if you can call it that) Reedy Quad.

Sean
Old 10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default wondering

Thanks for the input fellows, was also wondering, if i use a cheap ESC that is designed for down to 13 turn VS using an ESC design for as low as 8 turns, would there be much of a diff but still having to run 19 turn
thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Legend

An ESC that is rated lower probably has other features that are better (more power to the motor, better BEC, etc ) than a more sport ESC.

What I would look for mainly is if the ESC has BEC of 6Vs . what all the power you can have to your servos so they perform the best.

I personally really like Tekin. There G-9, and G-10s are awesome ESCs. That new one probably is even better as the top of the line one incorporates features from both the G-9 and G-10 and you don't need a big capacitor either. Lots of power, extremely easy to customize as well.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ESC

The ESC that i have is the one that came with a T4 associated truck. Its called the AI esc, its stock when you buy the truck. Would such an esc work well with an element V2 motor, Or should a person uprade to much more ESC. The AI is rated for a 14 turn
thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Legend

that ESC should be fine with the 19 turn Element V2 motor, especially for club racing.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey Rob if you want to upgrade your ESC you should go with something like the Novak GTB or the LRP Sphere, then you can run brushless motors as well. Both of those ESC's have all the racing features you need as well, not to mention they both have very very little resistance.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Hey

Hey thats great. Why didn't i think of that will look into it more. Thanks ding dong.