Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aluminum Pipe difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Aluminum Pipe difficulty

Hello, I have been trying to figure out a problem for over a week and I finally figured out what was wrong as of today. I have a 1/10th scale buggy with a VX .16 engine. I recently upgraded from the stock plastic pipe to an aluminum pipe. At the same time I changed from running Sidewinder Pro 30% Blend to Werks 30% Race Blend and I think the Werks fuel is fantastic! I started running the new fuel and pipe and found that my kit would run for a while but after half a tank it would start to muffle down and bog. It would idle fine until I hit the throttle and it would die out. I tried changing carbs, resetting to stock needle settings, retuning, shimming the head, tore apart the engine and changed glow plugs.

I finally got to the point where I took a break from it and gave up. Even the stock needles didn't run right at all. I saw my old plastic pipe on the shelf and decided to put it back on since I was out of options. I started my kit up again and was on stock needle settings and it ran perfectly fine! I retuned it and went through 5 tanks of gas today with no problem. What could be wrong with the other aluminum pipe? The only thing different about it is it doesn't have a diffuser like the plastic one. I can't believe that's all it was after all that work for nothing.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guitarguy19
Hello, I have been trying to figure out a problem for over a week and I finally figured out what was wrong as of today. I have a 1/10th scale buggy with a VX .16 engine. I recently upgraded from the stock plastic pipe to an aluminum pipe. At the same time I changed from running Sidewinder Pro 30% Blend to Werks 30% Race Blend and I think the Werks fuel is fantastic! I started running the new fuel and pipe and found that my kit would run for a while but after half a tank it would start to muffle down and bog. It would idle fine until I hit the throttle and it would die out. I tried changing carbs, resetting to stock needle settings, retuning, shimming the head, tore apart the engine and changed glow plugs.

I finally got to the point where I took a break from it and gave up. Even the stock needles didn't run right at all. I saw my old plastic pipe on the shelf and decided to put it back on since I was out of options. I started my kit up again and was on stock needle settings and it ran perfectly fine! I retuned it and went through 5 tanks of gas today with no problem. What could be wrong with the other aluminum pipe? The only thing different about it is it doesn't have a diffuser like the plastic one. I can't believe that's all it was after all that work for nothing.
Sounds like there is something in the other pipe choking it down and killing the engine. Get a flashlight and look down in there and see if you can find anything. Who knows....