Best brushless motor, for truck??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best brushless motor, for truck??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

I run a LRP Sphere Comp with either a 4 star motor or a 6.5 in my Kyosho ZX-5 and have run over a half hour with no issues whatsoever. Motor will come off about 160 and ESC about 145. This is with an Orion 4800. Very smooth response, and great brakes.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LRP Sphere Comp and a 6.5 GTB motor.

I run that in my T4 and my BJ4We and its a dialed set-up....
Old 07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Okay, I think I'm going to dabble in the brushless scene to see if I like it. I've done some reserching and come up with either the LRP Neo 4 Star with the LRP Sphere Comp speedo or the Novak GTB w/ the 5.5 or 6.5 velociti motor. I've been racing for many, many years and I'm racing dirt oval on different tracks from high bite clay on a purpose built dirt oval car or a T3/T4 on a low bite track with hole shots. I'm mainly want it for the truck because it's a fun track and don't want to spend a lot of time rebuilding motors. I'm after a wide band of throttle control so when I need it, it's there. Can thses be turned down so they aren't so violent? All I need is to loop it coming off a turn even when rolling into the throttle. I'm also after reliability. They are both repitable companies. I've never had any issues with my GT7s, but I did have a Q1 go up in flames. Also, tunability. I hope I covered about everything without rambling too much. You can also email me at: [email protected]

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I run a gtb with 6.5 in my T4. It's an awesome setup. You can turn down the throttle epa if you don't need it all and still have the same bottom. I ended up running a 16 tooth pinion, with an 18 it was just to insane going from half throttle to full. But that would vary from track to track or different surface/traction availibility. It's easily adjustable, and the basically no maintenance factor.. well I'm loving that. Have to get info on the LRP/neo units from someone else as I've never ran one.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Howdy,

I'm racing a T4 with the GTB and Velociti 5.5. I've been racing it about 4 months now. I'm pretty happy with it.

The fan blades all snapped off in the first couple of weeks. For a while I ran without a fan at all (no problems) then I got one of the AE fans and glued it to the chassis just near the ESC. I've had no heating problems so far and it all seems to run reasonably cool.

I'm running (from memory) a 17T pin and stock spur. There is a heap of performance, and I think at a lot of tracks I would prefer to have a 6.5 or even 7.5, but our track is big and fast and I can usually manage to get to full throttle for a second or two down the straight and maybe one or two other places on the track.

For racing, the biggest difficulty is the ferocious bottom and mid range. On a brushed motor you can tune this out with brushes, springs and timing. On the brushless it ain't so easy. At the moment I'm running about -70% throttle expo.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

Mike B
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

If the individual that first posted is watching, I run a Novak SS5800 and a Castle Creations Mamba 5700 systems. Tha ss5800 is a great racing system with no heating problems, if you go with the gearing instructions. The Mamba is an animal on 6 cells, Its capable of 3s lipo or 12 cells, but haven't tryed that yet. I'm running these on associated's T3(mamba) and T4(novak)and both are holding up good.

As far as the smoothness issue, i can't tell a difference between them, both are excellent down low, at the top or wherever you want to run it.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Regional Moderator

Wow, great info so far, keep it coming. Is the LRP comp compairable to the GTB or is is compairable to the regular sphere? Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

i don't have a 1/10 brushless system but i do have a mamba system 8k motor in my mini, i also have the castle link i can program anything on the controller including throttle and brake curves. it is the best money i spent. it may be hard for some to get a computer at the track, but i think once you found a profile that fit you driving style you would leave it. if your track has a hobby shop they should definately download the free software. this link will work with the new 1/10 mamba system i think you shoudl give the mamba max a try.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I have seen them all Thermal, but imo, the Sphere Competition is the best, if used with a mild motor, 3 star, 2 star, etc. Then thermaling isn't a problem.

They work Very well, the only issue I've had is thermaling in 4w and truck with the low wind(high Kv) BL motors.

...Jim
Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A 5.5t motor works well on a really large 1/8th style track. Use a 6.5 for medium tracks, and a 7.5 for tight or really really loose tracks. The LRP sphere comp is the most powerful speedo out there right now. Never ran an LRP though, but my GTB was nice.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:19 AM
Regional Moderator

Man, it's still in the middle of the road...I'm leaning on the GTB 6.5 but found a deal on a sphere comp w/ a 4 star but I really don't want all that motor, yet. I'm just the person who can do better with a 19 turn than a 10-12 turn double. Some people just like all that speed down the straights but me, I say, fast in the straights is for the show, fast in the corners is for the dough. That even appied when I ran sedans on carpet. I miss those days. The dirt oval is okay, and offroad isn't for me, besides the only track that races offroad is mostly nitro and the track is good for 1/8 scale buggies because it has few turns, and jumps. Just a lot of straights. I can do that in my personal truck in town.

I also have a 6800kv mamba in my 18T. I have the data link to program it.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

ive got a GTB with a 5.5 in my T4. I think, no, I know I was faster in the corners with my SS5800 but on the straight the 5.5 flies. Its pretty brutal on the bottom with my heavy finger on the throttle. I could probably tone it down or ease into it more...but where is the fun in that

Mine only thermaled once and it was my fault. I didnt get one of the wires soldered back in all the way and it came loose and got hot. Resoldered it and no problems since.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Hey Darrell, where do you race your brushless at?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Regional Moderator

I ordered the Novak GTB with the 5.5 motor and if I need to back off the power, I dial it out of the radio, if I can. I use a 3PK and an M8 so I think I"ll be okay. Thanks for all the help on here.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ImGoinRCn
Hey Darrell, where do you race your brushless at?
I dont think I ever got to run it at M&M, they always wanted to run stock and I quit going. Ive ran it everywhere else though, Planet RC, INdy Slots...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.