Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you feel that? The winds of change thread! >

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt

I wonder if the move to ultra hard-packed, sugar-based "off-road" tracks is having an effect. I've tried it, didn't like it all. I'm sure tire manufacturers love surfaces that burn tires up, but as a participant I don't enjoy it. Wet, loamy clay is where it's at. Back to on road...bring on the revival.
^^This, is why i am shifting to on road for 2015. The off-road tracks are looking more like on road tracks with jumps these days!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

VTA and GT will never run together. Too many of the same people run both classes. Combining them would decrease the number of entries on race day. 17.5 should go away. I like the Australian model; Mod, 13.5, 21.5 for TC. USVTA and USGT, maybe some adjustments to them to seperate from the 21.5 TC. and good o'l 1/12 scale. Dont really know what to do about F1and WGTas they deserve some space and are pretty cool classes, but where?

Now all tracks wouldn't have to run or ofder all classes, most indoor carpet traxks would be too small for mod TC, and most outdoor tracks would be too large for 21.5 TC. but having a gap from 13.5 in iethwr direction helps to really seperate the TC classes as far as lap times on the track and gives newer guys that might not like the cool look of VTA/GT a real place to enter into TC.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tandum4056
^^This, is why i am shifting to on road for 2015. The off-road tracks are looking more like on road tracks with jumps these days!
I have one track near me that isn't very race-oriented, but they keep to the old formula of loose clay + water= fun. I haven't had a chance to get out there in some time, but I have to tell you that running something like Calibers (or an equivalent), and having them last many laps, is great by me. Some of these tracks I know of where tires are burnt up and useless in no time flat? Forget it.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Exclamation

I see what you're saying but having say 5 vta cars and 5 usgt cars running desperate heats/mains seems to be a bit bland when you compare to running together. Honestly this thread should be spitballing ways to help on road this time rather than keeping on the same paths that lead to extinction. Just my 2¢!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Nf ekt people around here are using slicks! Lol since when does off road require no tread patterns? I would've loved to have seen somebody try that in the late 80's and early 90's! Can you say last place?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Nf ekt people around here are using slicks! Lol since when does off road require no tread patterns? I would've loved to have seen somebody try that in the late 80's and early 90's! Can you say last place?
I'm probably a bit nostalgic in my thought process as well . But for sure, I can't subscribe to the brick hard, follow-the groove (or spin) way of "off-road" racing. Wet, loamy clay makes for a better experience and less hammering of ones wallet. Plus, who doesn't want to see a rooster tail getting sprayed up when you are ripping into the fast corners
Old 11-29-2014, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

I see what you're saying but having say 5 vta cars and 5 usgt cars running desperate heats/mains seems to be a bit bland when you compare to running together. Honestly this thread should be spitballing ways to help on road this time rather than keeping on the same paths that lead to extinction. Just my 2¢!
I understand the point your trying to make. What I am saying, using you numbers from above, is that if you combined them into one class/main, you MIGHT have seven 7 total. At least 3 drivers would be running both classes. If you run both, how can you run in a combined main? This would hurt more than help. Tracks would rather see 10 entrees with 2 5 car heats insyead of only 7 entrees.

A problem some tracks have though is the fight between USVTA and ROAR VTA. Now I do say thats crazy. The only real difference between the classes is motor and limited batt mah. Why not pick one and stick to it. Running both with 4 in each makes the race day that much longer.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpeedySST
... Maybe with the mod class the participants can agree on a motor for the race day and call it good.
The whole point of Mod is that it's open.
It's up to drivers to choose what is best for their driving and track.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

They did, on clay tracks that had blue grooved enough they were running tyres with the spikes cut off, and then they found foams worked even better when shaped to a buggy tyre profile and grooved. That's why ROAR rules specify that buggy tyres must be rubber only.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

We're kind of spiralling off topic,but yeah I'm sure some places that was the case. However on the tracks in my area(not mostly clay based but actual dirt)that would've met with horrific results as tracks dried and became dusty. Today's tracks are all clay and between being smoothed,sugared,and watered,they have essentially become outdoor carpet tracks.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

Oops.....double post!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I know in my area we had a good strong onroad following about 5-6 yrs ago and it fell on its face and went to zero onroad racing.

Last yr a carpet track opened in a mall. It started slow but by the end of the season we were averaging about 40 entries.

During the summer they ran one race a month and kept the 40 entry average.

Now that carpet season has really got going we are running a 6 race points series.

First race we had 50-55 entries
Race 2 66 entries
Race 3 72 entries with a handful of reg that didn't run

So it's definetly picking up. There are new faces every week.

There is even a new carpet track that opened about an hour an a half from the one in the mall. The guys there have a 1st class place.

100x48 on a sub floor.

So we went from 0 places and racers to close to 100 racers and two awesome tracks

Glad on road is going strong in my area
Old 11-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imprsme
I know in my area we had a good strong onroad following about 5-6 yrs ago and it fell on its face and went to zero onroad racing.

Last yr a carpet track opened in a mall. It started slow but by the end of the season we were averaging about 40 entries.

During the summer they ran one race a month and kept the 40 entry average.

Now that carpet season has really got going we are running a 6 race points series.

First race we had 50-55 entries
Race 2 66 entries
Race 3 72 entries with a handful of reg that didn't run

So it's definetly picking up. There are new faces every week.

There is even a new carpet track that opened about an hour an a half from the one in the mall. The guys there have a 1st class place.

100x48 on a sub floor.

So we went from 0 places and racers to close to 100 racers and two awesome tracks

Glad on road is going strong in my area
That's awesome.....makes me wanna move back to Va.!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Oops double post.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At MMR, where I race, we don't run USVTA, We Run a version that was one of the stages during it's development and call it MMRVTA. 17.5 1s 1280g. It's relatively slow but nimble and is a great entry class. Teaches line and the importance of corner speed. Hardly ever breaks. And very tight racing. This year we added USGT and it's a great stepping stone to 17.5 TC which we also run. Yes, that's 3 touring car classes, but with a 1.5 second difference in lap times each. So there is a difference. I know USVTA is popular, but I can't really see much of a speed difference to USGT, and VTA bodies are allowed in USGT so it fits both the older guy looking to run his Mustang as well as the young guy with his Honda.
17.5 TC and 1/12 stock in our area is national level racing. Wicked fast and filled with guys that can A in Vegas or Birds. No place for an entry guy. Mod TC would only be maybe .3 faster and couldn't fill an A, or if it did, only suck from 17.5.
It's a constant battle to try and talk the entry guy into the slow class. Instead he jumps into 17.5 TC, has no success, breaks often, and goes away. So I don't believe the answer is to shove people into one class or nothing. See it for the tight race and not the speed.

And for those of you experiencing a surge in onroad, enjoy it. It feels like we're in a low point of the cycle right now here. SUPPORT your local club racing!! GO when it's open, or it may not be there when you want it to be. And support the new guys. Congratulate them when they win! Don't be that guy that walks off the stand after winning by a lap and says "Man, my car was junk!".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.