Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Buying my first electric r/c >

Buying my first electric r/c

Buying my first electric r/c

Old 09-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default Buying my first electric r/c

I am going to buy an electric r/c touring car and i wondered if anyone could give me a few websites. So i can deside which one i will pick. Or if you could give me your own advice. That would be even better. Its going to be my first one so i want to make it a good one
Thanx Hicksey
Old 09-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First thing is first, have a search of these forums for similar threads, there is quite a few.

Other than that, go to your local track and have a look at what the popular brands are, and also your local hobby shop - check thier parts supply and the brands they carry. The smart thing to do is get a car that is popular where you live so that spares and help are easy to find.

You cant go wrong with any of the RTR cars on the market, they're perfect for someone new to the sport. If you buy one like I mentioned above, you shouldnt have any problems.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

the thing is at my town we dont have a track the nearest track is 2 hours away. And our hobby shop (toyworld) only carry XB or already put together models.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Yep. Round my way the xray is probably the most popular chassis, And something like a t1r is the type of chassis that would be very suited to a new comer, as they are simple, strong efficient and competitive, and spare parts are fairly easy to get hold of.

Buts it's more of a case of what the other guys are using at your local club, Nothing worse than having a chassis you can't set up with no-one else being able to give you a hand, or a spare part when needed, saying that the way chassis are made nowadays any top line car you pick will be a good one.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds like from your location you wont be racing. So likely you'll be running in the streets or in a parking lot correct? Also your hobby shop only carries RTR and Tamiya XB cars.. Sounds to me though that your looking for the full experience including building your own car(the best way to get your car is in kit form)

Here are some i suggest for your application that will be fully race worthly if you ever make the 2 hour drive to that track. Otherwise these will work well out doors and have long lasting drive trains:

-LOSI XXXS GRAPHITE PLUS- very low priced for a pro level car and sealed belt
-AE TC4 TEAM-great shaft drive kit with tub chassis that will take the bottoming on pavement and not look like crap as a graphite plate chassis will quickly. (FT version is full carbon plates but for bashing its an expcive option that will look like crap fast if your not going to stay on race tracks)
XRAY T1RAYER- Sport version of the Factory kit that is based on a tub chassis. Drive train is exposed but the price is rite and its a very race worth car.

The LOSI and AE are my best suggestions for your situation. since your LHS seems to suck it dont much mater what car you get your not going to have parts support. Replacement parts will likely all be special order.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've got a great deal going on mine...check it out!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84539
Old 09-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

terry i posted i might buy yours
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dude get like a tamiya TB-02 or TA-05, they are both tub but they still both are stiff/strong. If ur locol hobby shop carriers them it will be easy too. They are usally low maintence cars,good for newbies ( especially the shaft driven ones). The tb-02 is still a very nice car with tons of hop up parts.They can be very fast just like the other cars.