Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After Run Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 02:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default After Run Oil?

Just curious to find out what brand after run oils you guys use? I've heard some guys use Marvel Mystery Oil (mixed with automatic transmission fluid?...50/50??)...does anyone recommend this? And is it true that it is bad to drop the after run oil into the carb...i heard it eats up the orings?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 10-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

If you go and buy after run oil, it will almost always be pink - which means it's Marvel! heh heh.

I just use Marvel straight.

All you're trying to do is to get a coating of oil on the piston, sleeve, rod, etc. that will be water repelling rather than water attracting. Any decent oil will accomplish that.

I don't know about putting it in the carb. I make sure my fuel lines are empty then pop about 4 decent drops down the glowplug hole and then crank the motor for a few seconds to splash it all around.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

dunno about you guys, but i'm always having a hard time starting up the engine if I've used some after runs.
here's what i do (taken from a pro advise), when you're done for the day, clean the tip of the muffler, then put the air compressor on the exchause tip and blow it. the excess oil from fuel will be blown back to the engine, that'll sure cover every part of the engine from rust.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

that is danger !! never let any thing go into the engine without a filter(either fuel or air filter) i am sure no one want wasted oil reaching their engines.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Redsand

Just look at your site. those tool boxes are cool ! do you ship them to Hong Kong?
Old 10-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by redsand
dunno about you guys, but i'm always having a hard time starting up the engine if I've used some after runs.
here's what i do (taken from a pro advise), when you're done for the day, clean the tip of the muffler, then put the air compressor on the exchause tip and blow it. the excess oil from fuel will be blown back to the engine, that'll sure cover every part of the engine from rust.
That sounds like a very bad advise
Firstly its that fuel and oil that your trying to eliminate because its hydroscopic ( absorbs moisture ) and corrodes your engine !
You don't won't to blow it back in after you just ran it dry
And what about all the carbon deposits and grim that builds up in your exhaust, don't think you'd want to blow that back into your engine in a hurry
Old 10-04-2002, 09:09 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

I would be VERY wary of taking ANY advise from this "Pro" driver if he is telling you to blow crap back into your engine!!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

I`ve used Marvel Mystery oil for 25 years with no problems ever. Hell I`ve dipped clean motors in a can of the stuff,then pulled them out and stuck them in a container for storage. P.s. No way in hell would I blow any thing back into a motor.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

NEVER blow back with an air compressor. Pipes get filthy and in an offroad situation you can bet there's dirt in there. marvel Mystery oil is the best after run and it's very cheap, a few bucks for a quart at Checkers. I usually remove my motor at the end of the race day and clean the exterior. I'll then remove the backplate and flush the insides out with WD40 to displace moisture. I then put a mixture of engine treatment/Marvel Oil (a tablespoon to a quart) and lube the insides and drop it into a ziplock bag for the next race. I find my motors always run extremely well and last for years.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

I agree completely - don't blow crap back into your motor! Crap=baaad!

Pretty much any good clean oil, though, is going to displace the fuel that is bad to leave on the guts of your motor. Shoot, you could prolly use 30 weight. . .
Old 10-05-2002, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I personally use the novarossi engine maintaince oil in my engines.

For those who run jp engines be carefull when selecting an after run. Those that are WD40 brand have been known to disolve the crank ramp.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

My LHS sells "Prather After Run Oil". I see all the other racers at my club using it, so that's what I bought. No complaints so far.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

If you race every weekend, you don't need after run oil. If its more than a week or two between races put 2-3 DROPS of Marvel Mystery oil in the carb. Your engine will stay lubed till your next run.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Well that may be true where you live, it is relatively humid where I live and things rust real fast. But any after run is much better than none
Old 10-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Manticore
Redsand

Just look at your site. those tool boxes are cool ! do you ship them to Hong Kong?
Manticore,
We currently do not ship to International addresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.