Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Brushed motor hop-ups? >

Brushed motor hop-ups?

Brushed motor hop-ups?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Brushed motor hop-ups?

I have a Legends car that I run in doors on carpet. We run a Duratrax Photon speed 2 motor. Does anyone know of a way to make this motor faster? Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Put enough water in a large jar to submerge your motor. Hook your motor up to a low-voltage source (I use a spare 1-cell, 4.22v LiPo with Dean's connectors). Hook your motor up and let it free-rev (no pinion), and slowly sink it into the jar. Let it run underwater for about two minutes, then take it out. Keeping it running, let the water spin out of the motor, and continue the process until the water turns a light grey color.

Take the motor out of the water, and give it a good shot of motor spray. Let it air out, then oil the bushings. Put a few drops of comm drops on the armature through the slots on the can just prior to racing. Before you set the car down on the track, give it some throttle until the comm drops settle in.

That's it.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

You can use 2 d cells ran in series also and just let the motor go until it dies.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have heard that u can put the motor in a vice and turn the com arm counter clock wise to advance the timing. Is this true?? Has anyone tried it?? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Um not sure but if the timing is adjustable then loosen the screws and adjust the endbell. If it's not adjustable then what your trying to do is cheat and that's just not cool.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

There is not much you can do to improve this motor's performance... You also can try zapping the magnets, if your lhs does it for a small fee, but after that you'll need to call the red dot tuner...lol.....
Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

who will zap the mags for a fee?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

i still have lots of brushed stuff to make the motors fast... really fast. i spent years tweaking stock and 19t motors. send me your motors... i will tune for your next win! pm me for more info
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

I always sent my cans to alphaslotracing.com , and they sent them back to me with a full before and after charge gauss reading... They did require me to send the can only though, so I don't know if they'll zap a complete silvercan motor ... After zapping, my stock trinity monster horsepower motor was ballistic, and was constantly making that unwinding noise down the straight, similar to the noises coming out of the pro drivers' cars... They did a great job, but the guy that nails it when it comes to silvercan motors is the Rccardr(red dot) guy... You will have to purchase your new silvercan from him with the 20t specifications... You can write him at [email protected]... Good luck...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

...And so we have come full circle to brushed motor performance secrets.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I always sent my cans to alphaslotracing.com , and they sent them back to me with a full before and after charge gauss reading... They did require me to send the can only though, so I don't know if they'll zap a complete silvercan motor ... After zapping, my stock trinity monster horsepower motor was ballistic, and was constantly making that unwinding noise down the straight, similar to the noises coming out of the pro drivers' cars... They did a great job, but the guy that nails it when it comes to silvercan motors is the Rccardr(red dot) guy... You will have to purchase your new silvercan from him with the 20t specifications... You can write him at [email protected]... Good luck...
Red dot silvercans are a different animal, each individually hand-built. Johnson 540J motors (the red-dot) are durable, and can be built to perform. I have ran them plenty of times. The Duratrax 20t the OP is talking about (what their series specifies) is not nearly as robust... geared conservatively they will run for awhile. Try tuning these and they will not last long. The brushes are not durable, nor is the rest of it... so in short you could spend money on one, but why?

OP- if you can get it zapped that might help. comm drops too... plus the water break-in method. Don't try to get nutty with that motor. It's a weak basher-grade motor only. You will see more performance out of good batteries, good maintenance, set up, ect.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for your help.