Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC any need tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
I am going to try to give you the best advice...

Go to the track that u r planning on practicing and racing. Bring a pen and paper... Ask about the classes. As someone said do they have a stock class or boosted class... This will determine what esc u will purchase....this class is typically 17.5. Watch them run and see if u will like that speed... As a beginner u will break less parts with the slightly slower classes, but do what u want. The Justock esc is a great esc for the money... I had one... Falconsekido.com sells them and will double the warranty. They might even sell a combo for about 90. I am not sure about the hobbywing motors. I like the hobbyking track star motors... I used it with the justock esc... If u are racing boosted then u will need a different esc..... Before u build your car u must get two hex drivers. I believe u will need a 2.0 and 2.5 mm...please check te manual... I do not own a sakura......buy two quality hex tools...Mip or Hudy is good. Do not use the tools with te kit. U will strip the screws. Go to hobbypartz.com and order the 6.0 amp ac/dc charger. It's about 50. Futaba or airtronics transmitter.....u can always get help. I buy SMC batteries. Cheap and very very good. U could get away with one at first, but two would be better..... U need to ask at the track what milliamperes u need......too many and yor car will be heavier...too little and u won't finish races.... Ask as to what tires u will need..... U will learn so much by going to the track on a race day...go early.....or practice day... Good luck.
this is the description of their beginner class in which i'm interested to try. 2015 TQ Carpet Championship Series at Chino. this the closest track in my area

Rookie/Intermediate Sedan

Rookie-Intermediate 17.5
ESC: No-Timing, No-Boost ESC (ROAR Approved Non-Timing ESC)
Tire: Sweep QTS32 Real Blue Premount spec tire. Click Here
Motor: 17.5
Battery: 2s Lipo
Old 10-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh, you're going to race at TQ? I order from them all the time, they have great guys, go see them and ask questions, they will be able to even supply you with the tools, etc..
Old 10-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've been searching for prices for Futuba 3pm and i've came up with these 2 with big diffrence on their price. the other one is listed with FASST system and the other one doesn't. this is the first one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Futaba-3...item43ce9c0372

and here is the second one

http://www.rcmart.com/futaba-channel...ml?cPath=36_47

they have an 80$ difference. i'm not sure if they are basically the same or i need to buy the more expensive one? can anyone please help me. tyvm
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

between futaba s9551 and savox 1251 which one should i choose? what are the pros and cons. tyvm
Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheEarlyWorm
I've been searching for prices for Futuba 3pm and i've came up with these 2 with big diffrence on their price. the other one is listed with FASST system and the other one doesn't. this is the first one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Futaba-3...item43ce9c0372

and here is the second one

http://www.rcmart.com/futaba-channel...ml?cPath=36_47

they have an 80$ difference. i'm not sure if they are basically the same or i need to buy the more expensive one? can anyone please help me. tyvm
I have the Futaba 3PM-X. While it's a great radio and works well, I wouldn't recommend it. It requires 6 batteries and the FASST receivers are way too expensive. Stay away from all of the FASST systems!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I have the Futaba 3PM-X. While it's a great radio and works well, I wouldn't recommend it. It requires 6 batteries and the FASST receivers are way too expensive. Stay away from all of the FASST systems!
what transmitter would you recommend for me?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GSRrR
Thanks to everyone for all the helping tips and for OP for making this thread (hey, I'm also in Socal! Where are you planning on racing?) since I am in the same boat as OP and have the same questions.
i'm planning to race at TQRacing at Chino. i'm from East LA, where r u from?

how's your build going?

Last edited by TheEarlyWorm; 10-26-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheEarlyWorm
i'm planning to race at TQRacing at Chino. i'm from East LA, where r u from?

how's your build going?
I do not have everything yet. I am in Pasadena and I was planning to race at Tq too. Was thinking of stopping by next weekend to check things out. Have you been there yet? What equipment do you have/will you be running? I'll probably be in the novice 17.5 class too so maybe we can race together in the near future!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GSRrR
I do not have everything yet. I am in Pasadena and I was planning to race at Tq too. Was thinking of stopping by next weekend to check things out. Have you been there yet? What equipment do you have/will you be running? I'll probably be in the novice 17.5 class too so maybe we can race together in the near future!
Perfect! Im also checking that class prolly the best class for a beginner like me. I havent have my equipments yet. Still waiting for it to be delivered and with other parts i'm still not 100% sure so i'm still asking questions. Rather make sure now than regret it later. Keep me updated, most prolly we'll see each other in d track 👍

This is my budget build once finished(well, i'm trying to really lower down d cost for my first one. Need a lot of practice first before buying expensive stuffs)

Kit sakura xi
Motor turnigy trackstar 17.5T
Esc hobbywing justock
Servo savox 1251
Transmitter futaba 3pl

Last edited by TheEarlyWorm; 10-27-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

The savöx 1251 servo is not quite durable, as the gears tend to strip in a crash.
Futaba servos may be the better investment, but you can also consider a servosaver like the xray x-stiff servosaver
Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Worst87
The savöx 1251 servo is not quite durable, as the gears tend to strip in a crash.
Futaba servos may be the better investment, but you can also consider a servosaver like the xray x-stiff servosaver
Would the futaba s9551 do the job for me?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

any suggestions for a cheap but good lipo battery charger and power supply? tyvm

Last edited by TheEarlyWorm; 10-27-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

any suggestions for a cheap but good lipo battery charger and power supply? tyvm
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Accucel 6

With this p/s
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...637229&alt=web

This setup will be fine with almost any 2s or 3s. If your charging a 2s batt above 6 amps then your diminishing it's life for a faster charge anyways which I don't do.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Accucel 6 has been a workhorse for me for planes, cars, robots, whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.