Wiki Posts
Search

Gearing Question XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Gearing Question XRAY T3

I am new first of all, trying to learn some about gearing. I am running a T3 VTA car and the top 2 cars in the class are both pulling away from me on the long sweeping turns and straight. One of the cars is running the exact same motor I am, Novak Balistic 25.5. On the long straight and I am at full throttle and 100% on transmitter throttle trim. Currently I have 96 spur, 52 pinion. This seems to me to be an issue of needing a different set of gears? What would you recommend? Should I be looking for higher or lower final gear ratio? I'm not sure if I need more top end speed or more acceleration?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Bigger pinion for higher top end speed, but less torque out of corners.

Track size, layout, surface, etc all have a factor in gearing. Is the track pretty large? I was running 96/48 on a small medium sized carpet track (about 96 ft straight I think.)

Also, corner speed is a huge deal in VTA. Your driving line is going to get you faster than any motor/ESC/pinion/car upgrades. If you can run your car without hitting a board with consistent laps, then look at other factors.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Novak states that you can run a 3.3 FDR on the 25.5 motor which means you can go to as much as a 55 pinion. You probably don't want to increase the timing much at that and you could raise it at your current FDR which is about 3.5. Make sure you check the motor heat every two minutes and keep it under 170! Less timing gives you more torque and higher timing will give you more top end. Find a happy medium that works for your track.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run on carpet at The Gate in Cleveland. I usually run between 48 and 52 /96 with the timing all the way up. Make sure you run a fan on the motor as it makes a big difference. Car setup is really critical in VTA and so is driving style. You don't want to be scrubbing off corner speed. One other thing I like in my car is a gear diff in front.

chuck