Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Hyper8 stingray

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The diffs are alot easier to access than the hyper 7. The chassis has a nice layout and Ho Bao has done a great job at keeping the key components nice and low. I will be testing the car out at the Canadian Winter Nationals in Red Deer, Alberta at an indoor venue next thursday. I will post my thoughts on the performance of the Hyper 8 thursday night. Looks like a great turnout with over 90 entries in 1/8th scale buggy alone
Thanks......Dwayne Flodell
Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

well my 8 is on the way i will post my thoughts after i get some wheel time with the car as i know for sure the parts quality is on.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Guys....the Hyper 8 is outstanding! An excellent day tuning at the track. I will post a setup for a large indoor prepared surface after the weekend. The car is really good and did not require alot of wrenching and not one after market or hopup part. Very competitive right out of the box.....nice!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

my hyper 8 came yesterday i went thru the car and it is great parts look superb car is light, low, and looks mean i can't wait to get her on the track, any tuning option you could possibly want is right in the box and easy to adjust. one thing though i have a nova p5x and it didn't quite fit with the stock engine mounts anyone else have this problem.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

well i raced my hyper 8 the other nite and it was great had tons of steering and is lightweight. it was really on edge and i need to adjust for stability but it is a great car. now that i've made some adjustments i can't wait to get it back on teh track.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

Can you post about parts quality ? ... i asked about the Hyper 8 to a couple of spanish stores and they replied me that they will not sell the hyper 8 cause its not up to the quality they want on a buggy, instead told me to better buy a Mugen, XRay or Jammin one ...

thanks in advance as usual guys,
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Rocket 42,
you said you had a jammin, was it the rtr or the pro? and honestly how would you rate your current experiance, tunability and impression of the 8 compared to the Jammin?
I have heard the 8 is a bit twitchy.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

tabushi on parts quality the plastic seems stiffer than the jammin plastic, especially the a-arms and i believe the quality is easily as good as the jammin buggy. also some parts are cheaper then the jammin. for example it uses dog bones instead of center universals. the dog bones are alumn. so they are extremely lightweight but they are only $12 to replace as opposed to the jammin which are around $35. all the hinge points use inserrt so when slop starts to develop you can just replace the small plastic inserts. instead of say a new rear hub carrier. the stores are probably concerned with the price as it is $100 cheaper than the jammin buggy, but it was better designed, it was designed to be cheaply built but offer all the features the other buggies have.

etracer, i had the jammin pro buggy and i race in the expert class i did not have the big bore shocks on my jammin though but i had the new shock towers. now remember i have only raced the hyper 8 once and it was not with a pros setup it was a setup i came up with while rebuilding the kit. first off the car has a ton of tunining options you can change in the rear toe in from 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and anti squat from 1,2,3, by removing 2 screws and loosining 2 screws. you can adjust front kick up from 5,6,7,8, you can also change caster from 18, 20, 22, easily and best of all. all the parts to make these changes are included right in the box. honestly i would rate my first experience as good i didn't get a chance to test to many testing variables, the car was not twitchy but it does have a ton of steering compared to the jammin buggy. my only complaint was compared to the jammin it is not as stable and because of the steering it is easy to push the car too hard, if you can keep this car smooth on the track you will be extremely fast. now the jammin buggy is known for its stability so it is really comparing opposites. i have made some adjustments to the car to help stability and i will have to adjust my driving style but i will not go back to my jammin buggy. hope this helps, if you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Hyper 8 Pro Kit!

Hi Guys!

Does the Hyper 8 Pro come with a tune pipe? Is shows it in the photos i have seen but it is not listed in the specs etc. Also is there any problem running a Force .21 pullstart on this chassis?

Look forward to reading your replies.

BB
Old 03-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rocket42
so does anyone have any pics of their 8's or first driving comments, how does it handle, is it easy to work on, how does it respond to tuning changes. i will be ordering one soon but i want to know what the current owners think

Dude, I love your avatar...does she have a sister???
Old 03-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default It's on it's way!!!

I ordered my H8 from tower ....best price I've found so far...$439 less $20 promo discount = $419...not bad. I am going to drop an RG in it and use the stock pipe. I plan to rebuild the diffs using 5, 5, 1k. and 40wt shock oil all around. What is a good base set up for toe, camber, etc????
Old 03-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

any one have any pictures of their hyper 8 or who they like it compared to their old buggy???
Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

you can see pics in the forums at ofna.com
Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Guys,

I took a couple of vids and merged them about the Hyper 8 on a Mexican Track last March 18th ... was the first run of that buggy for that pilot ... and the setup was box stock ... and he was FLYING ... :

Hyper 8 in Mexico

hope you enjoy it ...
Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking WOW!

I watched a guy drive a Hyper 8 last night. He is a Traxxas employee and is more noted for racing oval. This thing has stupid steering. He was running the wrong tire and the thing was dialed. On power or off it didn't matter. He could go around anyone at will (padon the pun Will).
Talked with Mark Davis (OFNA racing guy) and he confirmed alot of what I saw. Parts quality has been reconsidered in every respect. Original thinking and great execution putting the thing together. I always had a problem with the freeness of of the Hyper drive train and how they wear.
I tell you this guy was running a 3.3 TRX motor and had no problem. He needed more gear because it would pull it easily.
Very Cool!
I'm in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.