Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Hyper8 stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by symbology
It is also 4 of the top 10 with Kortz in 4th. I think this is suprising some folks.

Top 10 Buggies
4 = HoBao
3 = Mugen
1 = Kyosho
1 = Jammin
1 = Xray
Thank God I have Hyper8
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rocket42
5 hyper 8's in the top 15 at the worlds hopefully they can bring us a win.
Too bad..... Kyosho did it again.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

ok its time to stop mourning over our loss at the worlds and get this thread moving again.

hey guys i just want to let you guys who have been running my setup know, that i have given up on the 3,3,2 diff setup. if the track is extremely blown out i might go back to it. This setup makes the car extremely easy to drive but i feel like i am giving away too much power to the front wheels in a high traction track. I am trying to gain a little bit of time exiting corners and i find with my driving style, i like to slide deep into corners and then shoot out so i am looking for a little quicker acceleration to pick up a .10 of second a lap. so far i have gone to a 4,6,2 setup and i will let ou know how that goes for me. One part of the problem was i was running a hot mod p5x and the power band on that engine was not very smooth or linear and when i had 5k in the center before it was hard to drive. But now that i am GO Tech powered the powerband is perfect smooth and linear i feel like i can get away with a heavier center diff oil and the car will still be easy to drive.

also here is a old tip and i have just done this to my hyper 8 i will let you know how it works, (i have doen this to electric cars with great success) i took a drill bit and put a slight countersink into the bottom holes on my shock pistons. This makes the piston react similar to a 2 stage piston and funnels the oil on shock rebound making rebound slightly faster than compression. if there is any washboard sections on your track you will really notice how much it makes your wheels stick to the ground in that type of section. Its worth a try if you have some extra pistons laying around. i will let you guys know how it goes, i will be taking my car to the last west division r/c pro series race in october in hemet ca. I am sitting 2nd place right now in points for the int. class, i have a chance to win the series but it will take a lot of luck. ok talk to you guys later.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Hey everybody;
I haven't had a chance to race for about 2 months now ...To much school, work, and homework, and not enough time or money. This weekend will be the last 1/8th scale race for me this season I imagine...Already can't wait for next spring...lol.
Good luck to you Rocket in your RC PRO west series finals!!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

well i didnn't do to good in the main i blew 2 plugs but kept on going. for you guys who are interested i came up with a dialed setup for the dirt racepark in hemet, i haven't settled on diff oils but i will either run 3,5,2, or the 4,6,2, that i have been running i will stick with the latter again to see if i like it. ok here is another setup for you guys thts worth a try. start from my base setup, and go to 22* caster blocks, mugen blue shock springs and lower camber hole on shock tower. in the rear go to mugen blue springs 32.5 or 35wt. rear shock oil, long wheelbase and upper inside camber hole on rear hub carrier. this is a rough track killer you can just power thru the bumps. The mugen springs are stiffer so they keep you on top of the bumps plus will give you more pop coming off the jumps which is good if the track is rough and you have trouble getting speed to clear the jumps. you will need mugen or jammin lower shock collars to run the big bore springs.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, I got my hyper 8 last week and I love it. Thanks to my friend, I couldn't have it running very soon if he didn't help me. Before I get one, a guy at the closest off-road race track claimed his friend got one and it breaks easily when I was waiting for the track to open so that I can take a look how it's like, but that's not the truth! I jumped it, cartwheeled it, and it didn't break! I just leave the suspension geometry settings stock for now. I filled the shocks with 45 wt in the front and 35 wt at the back with 1.4 pistons at all corners, all diffs at 3K. All the settings together works for me so far. I'm just bashing the car for now. I'll have access to a track for practice soon (cost 100 to join the club for the first time ). The RB S5 works great for me so far and has good power as a beginner engine.

When I was installing the throttle servo, the two holes on the radio box end didn't fit along the holes on CF radio tray, so I cut the two studs of plastic and have nylon-threaded nuts to secure the screws and hold the throttle servo in place. I thought it could cause durability/structural issue, but the CF servo tray doesn't break yet. I should have milled the radio tray instead but didn't think of that until after the servo is installed.

Another question is what's the function of the center diff other than acting like a slipper? How does changing the viscosity of the diff oil in the center diff affect the car?
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-dscn1979.jpg   Ofna Hyper8 stingray-dscn1980.jpg  
Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

the center diff does work similar to a slipper clutch for tunning but it also effects on power steering and rough track acceleration. heavier the oil the more on power steering and harder to control during the rough, 3k will work fine in the center diff of the hyper 8, a lot of cars that are heavier like 7k, so depends on your engine and driving style. basically you have to increase diff oils to suit the tracks traction, your setup is fine if the track is low traction but if it is high traction 3k in the center will slow straightline acceleration. and you will be able to get more power to the ground with heavier diff oil.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have noticed that the lighter the center diff oil the more power is transfered to the front wheels. i was having problems with the front tires staying glued to the front rims with 3k in the center so i had to take it easy but then i went to 4k front 5k center and 3k rear every thing feels great and i can push it a lot harder if there is any need. car is ballistic just the only complaint is the cheap plastic the car has developes way to much slop to soon compared to others and ofna has no set-up or any kind of tuning advice on there site for the car. I do like the car.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default OK GUYS(HUB CARRIERS)

Ok guys here are some pics of my hub carriers that broke and then there are also some pics of the hub carriers I used once from a Kyosho just for comparison.Sorry if they are blurry but my camera sucks for close ups!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Shoot what happend to the pics try again!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Shoot!

For some reason my pics won`t attach! I guess I need to make them smaller or with less quality!Be back soon
Old 10-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

#1 & #2 broken hub carrier #3 & #4 comparison between the Kyosho hub carrier and the Hyper 8 carrier.The Kyosho has the caster block built in.Sorry about the blurr but my camera does not do good close up!
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-dcp_0002.jpg  
Old 10-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-dcp_0003.jpg  
Old 10-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-dcp_0004.jpg  
Old 10-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-dcp_0005.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.