Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New to 1/12 electronics help please >

New to 1/12 electronics help please

New to 1/12 electronics help please

Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Automatic is more convenient - although I'm one of those in the minority that prefers a manual truer. It really does come down to preference.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat as op and with a new hobby shop starting an on road program, I thought I jump back in.

I went with the Turnigy Trackstar 1s from HobbyKing. Just waiting on the program card from the overseas warehouse.

Just bought new foam tires yesterday at hobby shop, what size do I cut them down to? I still have my old automatic truer so at least I'm ok not having to rebuy that piece of equipment.

Last time I was into onroad, touring cars were still on foams, 6 cell NiMHs were being used and we were cutting coms, lol!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I got back into racing last year as well after a 6 year break. I started with some hobby king stuff to get me going as well. Been getting stuff as I can afford it, got a used hudy auto truer and its worth the $$ very nice. For starting tire sizes on low-med bite tracks at the club level I go with 42mm front and 43mm rear and high bite I go 41.5mm front 42.5mm rear those seem to be a good starting point. There's lots of info in the 1/12 fourm also check the sig in redbullfixx as Dave has put lots of good information together for us racers
Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scirocco
also check the sig in redbullfixx as Dave has put lots of good information together for us racers
Truer words, have never been typed.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John birmele
orca speedos and EA for batteries= a winning combnation!!
Originally Posted by Sean B.
I'm not sponsored by anyone. And I would second what he recommended.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scirocco
I got back into racing last year as well after a 6 year break. I started with some hobby king stuff to get me going as well. Been getting stuff as I can afford it, got a used hudy auto truer and its worth the $$ very nice. For starting tire sizes on low-med bite tracks at the club level I go with 42mm front and 43mm rear and high bite I go 41.5mm front 42.5mm rear those seem to be a good starting point. There's lots of info in the 1/12 fourm also check the sig in redbullfixx as Dave has put lots of good information together for us racers
Thanks for the info. It is new ozite carpet. Is that considered low or high bite? How do I determine that?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
Thanks for the info. It is new ozite carpet. Is that considered low or high bite? How do I determine that?
That depends... Once a layout is chosen and used for a few weeks consecutively, you'll find that grip levels typically go up. New layouts are often low bite at the beginning of the day, then gain grip during the event. Layouts that are 3-4 weeks old often start at "mid-level" grip, and progress to high grip shortly thereafter. Grip levels over the course of a race are also dependent on the total number of entries; more entries=more grip.

Assume low grip for a brand new track surface; once cars start "traction rolling" in corners, the track condition would generally be considered "mid-grip". High grip is achieved with a large number of entries and a lot of track time logged by the participants, making a true "high grip" situation a fairly rare occurrence.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks! I have forgotten so much about carpet. I finally am starting to have a handle on indoor clay offroad racing and now have this to learn! I love this hobby!