Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road? >

What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

The XRC are LM/Sirio based
Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bishop
Smaller number = softer shore ratings, may or may not wear out faster though, mainly because you can strike conditions where the hard shore foam just spins and chews out faster, where the softer grips more and may wear the same or less, not always the case, but sometimes.

Vox, Reds, Sonic, all Picco based.

RB is Nova based.

New XR Cap motors are OS I think, as is Zac motors.
Thanks! The soft will be more stable on track?
I see many people use different numbers of foam tires front and rear, why?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

if different brands comes from same manufactory, that means the performance will be nearly same?
For the engine, i only have them from RTR cars. One is this VOX V1 from P8F CLUB, and the other is from X3 RTR. It is Taiwan engine.
Don't know other brand performance if they are coming same producer sometimes.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ho1aw
Thanks! The soft will be more stable on track?
I see many people use different numbers of foam tires front and rear, why?
Sort of, it depends on the amount of grip or bite in the track, too much traction and too soft a tyre shore will make the car twitchy and traction roll etc, also it can make the car hard to turn with too much traction in the rear.

People mix and match shores to dial in or out ability to turn, and even out wear front to rear, much of that can come down to preference and what your chasing.

As an example one person may like very sharp steering, lots or turn, so may run 32/35, another may like just that bit of push or understeer entering a corner before the car turns, so may run 35/35, it's tuning, although you can alter the cars to do the same, but often people tune with tyres for reasons of wear and to suit the track on the day.

if different brands comes from same manufactory, that means the performance will be nearly same?
For the engine, i only have them from RTR cars. One is this VOX V1 from P8F CLUB, and the other is from X3 RTR. It is Taiwan engine.
Don't know other brand performance if they are coming same producer sometimes.
Not always, the blocks and most all parts come out of the same factory, but the brand selling them will usually 'tune' or modify them to produce power in the way they want it to, torque and power curves etc.

Having said that, they often are fairly close to how they make power in the end.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bishop
Sort of, it depends on the amount of grip or bite in the track, too much traction and too soft a tyre shore will make the car twitchy and traction roll etc, also it can make the car hard to turn with too much traction in the rear.

People mix and match shores to dial in or out ability to turn, and even out wear front to rear, much of that can come down to preference and what your chasing.

As an example one person may like very sharp steering, lots or turn, so may run 32/35, another may like just that bit of push or understeer entering a corner before the car turns, so may run 35/35, it's tuning, although you can alter the cars to do the same, but often people tune with tyres for reasons of wear and to suit the track on the day.

Not always, the blocks and most all parts come out of the same factory, but the brand selling them will usually 'tune' or modify them to produce power in the way they want it to, torque and power curves etc.

Having said that, they often are fairly close to how they make power in the end.
It is really appreciated you replied me with so many details.
I think for the tires, i need many times to try with my car.I am now use both 32, i found it is really short time use, costy a lot...The car really has much traction. I will try other hard tires.I will buy different numbers of tires to try.
Many thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh, i have also want to ask you about the glow plugs use.The original my engine is with P6TC, but they also have different numbers of glow plugs, such as P5Tc, P7Tc. What is the difference of the numbers?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, i have also want to ask you about the glow plugs use.The original my engine is with P6TC, but they also have different numbers of glow plugs, such as P5Tc, P7Tc. What is the difference of the numbers?
Oxygen in Air compared to Fuel ratio.

If there's lots of O2 in the air (sea level cold climate) then you need more fuel, so you can use a hotter plug (generally lower numbers) if you run in hotter climates where O2 in air is thinner and less fuel in the mix, then a hotter plug may pre-detonate and you "ning ning ning" at idle and risk overheating engine as there's not enough fuel to cool it down at idle.

Also plugs have an impact on ignition timing, the more you (Edit: I'm wrong with this it should be retard with a cold plug) advance ignition with a cold plug, the more top end power. Use too cold a plug and you'll struggle to get it to idle well and your LSN mixture and idle will be out and your car will over run.

This might make you laugh, I wrote it to have fun but needs editing, it was rushed.

http://racing.beachmums.com.au/rc-ni...de-to-farting/

Last edited by blis; 10-24-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

O.S. Speed R2101 or Virtus.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blis
Oxygen in Air compared to Fuel ratio.

If there's lots of O2 in the air (sea level cold climate) then you need more fuel, so you can use a hotter plug (generally lower numbers) if you run in hotter climates where O2 in air is thinner and less fuel in the mix, then a hotter plug may pre-detonate and you "ning ning ning" at idle and risk overheating engine as there's not enough fuel to cool it down at idle.

Also plugs have an impact on ignition timing, the more you (Edit: I'm wrong with this it should be retard with a cold plug) advance ignition with a cold plug, the more top end power. Use too cold a plug and you'll struggle to get it to idle well and your LSN mixture and idle will be out and your car will over run.

This might make you laugh, I wrote it to have fun but needs editing, it was rushed.

http://racing.beachmums.com.au/rc-ni...de-to-farting/
Thanks! VERY useful.
I found myself started to learn more about engine.
Feel rather complex with the engine. They are more difficult than electrical...
For the glow, can i use other brands glow plugs in my vox c1?
It is not easy to find vox engine parts.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1FastVW
O.S. Speed R2101 or Virtus.
+1 I have both of them exceptional performance
Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default VOX V2 is a good choise

Need some suggestions on the engines as i want to change my old engine in P8F club.It is rtr vox v1 tech engine not pro. As far as i feel ok for it.I know it is picco production. I see they are now having VOX V2 pro. Or maybe i should also change another car? need some suggestions before i spend money.
VOX V2 is a good choise
Old 12-13-2014, 01:39 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, the car is Motonica P8F club.It is a gift . I am not the who race competitions,it is just my hobby.Very interesting, so i would like to know more.
This car is w/o suspension.Yes i still want to keep pan car. as i see if i change to their P81RS3 with VOX V2 PRO will be much cost for me at the moment.Even i know they are professional racing car.
BTW, i also want to ask about how to choose the foam tires. There are many numbers of the tires.any different? and any different between the carbon and white light rim?
Many thanks!
since you have use the tech version,i suggest you try the pro version.