Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro mini chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Nitro mini chassis

Does any one know of a nitro 210mm wheelbase chassis other then the hpi mini rs4? I already try asking this at rcgroups but no one responded.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
Does any one know of a nitro 210mm wheelbase chassis other then the hpi mini rs4? I already try asking this at rcgroups but no one responded.
OFNA use to make one called the mini Colt. It was basically a copy of the HPI mini nitro as some parts were interchangeable. All the rest of the mini cars that I can remember were all electric.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

You'd have a hard time getting everything in place for a short wheelbase like that if it's 4WD. We can barely pack everything in 1/10th scale tourers and we mount engine transversely.

It would have to be a RWD 2WD direct drive chassis to make it work with tank and steering shifted forward which then gets in the way of steering columns and such. Then by usuing a smaller engine, it makes it more complicated and more expensive overall.

Why not consider a 200mm track width IC pro tourer and get a larger mini shell, they're a dime a dozen and will be better value in the long run.

PS: Havent seen the HPI car, I'm working from experience in 1/10th scale pro touring and the complications they pose.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blis
You'd have a hard time getting everything in place for a short wheelbase like that if it's 4WD. We can barely pack everything in 1/10th scale tourers and we mount engine transversely.

It would have to be a RWD 2WD direct drive chassis to make it work with tank and steering shifted forward which then gets in the way of steering columns and such. Then by usuing a smaller engine, it makes it more complicated and more expensive overall.

Why not consider a 200mm track width IC pro tourer and get a larger mini shell, they're a dime a dozen and will be better value in the long run.

PS: Havent seen the HPI car, I'm working from experience in 1/10th scale pro touring and the complications they pose.
blis,

I actually have a mini nitro RS4 along with its electric chassis sibling. Found the nitro one in a local pawn shop (had top plate and front half of the rolling chassis, missing the rear half) for $10USD. Since the majority of the parts outside of center belt is the same of the regular RS4 (which I have tons of parts), the rebuild was a breeze. It is a fun little car but don't put too much power in it or becomes a tumbler (very uncontrollable).
Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I asked because I saw one of the hpi mini rs4 at my track and thought it was cool I have never seen a nitro mini, I only seen electric one. When I got home I look up the mini rs4 and saw how hard parts for it are to find that way I asked if there are any mini nitro
Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
blis,

I actually have a mini nitro RS4 along with its electric chassis sibling. Found the nitro one in a local pawn shop (had top plate and front half of the rolling chassis, missing the rear half) for $10USD. Since the majority of the parts outside of center belt is the same of the regular RS4 (which I have tons of parts), the rebuild was a breeze. It is a fun little car but don't put too much power in it or becomes a tumbler (very uncontrollable).
I've never seen one so it was hard to believe we could get smaller than 1/10th, I'll Google it and have a look at the layout as now I'm interested in seeing how it all fits.

Wow, they fit it all in there some how!!! It's a cutey and I expect you really have to love RC to keep it maintained, I struggled to see the belt and there it was, hidden under the top deck.
Must say it's impressive a design to pack all that into such a small chassis. Just saw the other side in a different pic and the short side belt.

You learn something new every day!

Last edited by blis; 09-28-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

I've never seen one so it was hard to believe we could get smaller than 1/10th, I'll Google it and have a look at the layout as now I'm interested in seeing how it all fits.

Wow, they fit it all in there some how!!! It's a cutey and I expect you really have to love RC to keep it maintained, I struggled to see the belt and there it was, hidden under the top deck.
Must say it's impressive a design to pack all that into such a small chassis. Just saw the other side in a different pic and the short side belt.

The first time I saw one, I was in Orlando, FL and saw a dude bashing with one is a parking lot at a local junior college. His has the HPI 2-speed transmission on it with a red-head OS .12CV in the car. It was a rocket from takeoff but once the 2-speed kicked in, don't make any turns with the car. If you did, it tumbled like a boulder down a mountain-side.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

I asked because I saw one of the hpi mini rs4 at my track and thought it was cool I have never seen a nitro mini, I only seen electric one. When I got home I look up the mini rs4 and saw how hard parts for it are to find that way I asked if there are any mini nitro
I have stocked up on a few parts over the years. Luckily, the bulkhead and diffs are the same from the regular sized RS4/RS4 2/Racer/Racer 2 so you can still find a few of these parts in LHS bargain bins. The arms are shared between the electric mini. You can use the rims, tires and bodies from the Tamiya minis and even the dogbones in a pinch. The rear belt is the same as the regular-size RS4 so the only thing is trying to get the center belt that drives the front diff.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

tumbled like a boulder down a mountain-side.
Hehe... Live long and prosper!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Harry

I can you give you a hands on looksy if you like. Abbey has one brand new in the original box.

Speed Chaser: Kyosho have made one too from memory, remember a guy at the original Wynnum club had one he use to race against our Kyosho V-One S. Funny thing was it was the same as the real deal and quick through the corners, but we had an advantage on the straights.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Andy, would love to catch up with you before we head to Thailand...
Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Andy, would love to catch up with you before we head to Thailand...
Harry,

We will be away this weekend, but should be out next Friday night at the GT night. Running that rubbish R10 for the last time

Tonight begins the new build!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)

Xray has a mini nitro car, that have many of them here is a link to there XRAY NT18

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...p?prod_id=1610

and a link to other cars:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/ind...773a7526fff15a
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racerx1920
Xray has a mini nitro car, that have many of them here is a link to there XRAY NT18

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...p?prod_id=1610

and a link to other cars:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/ind...773a7526fff15a
The Xray was a micro nitro, not a mini nitro. The Xray nitro car is 18th scale whereas the HPI and OFNA were 10th scale short chassis cars.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the micro x-ray nitro sedan and I could stay with the 12th scale cars on the pavement. I couldn't get more than 4 1/2 minutes run time though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.