Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya 1/10 On-Road - What is the difference? >

Tamiya 1/10 On-Road - What is the difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya 1/10 On-Road - What is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Default Tamiya 1/10 On-Road - What is the difference?

So here may be a silly question or one that has already been asked, but I have been checking out Tamiya 1/10 On-Road cars lately, and can any one explain, clearly, what the difference is between all of these:

TT-01
TA-01, 02, 03, 04, 05
TL-01
TB-01, 02
EVO

Now, the numbers, such as the TA-01, 02, 03, etc, is obvious - new releases and generations of the TA line, correct? But what do the TT, TA, TL, TB and EVO have to deal with?

Oh, and then I noticed some that had R and SS and other lettering after the Tx-XX numbering.

Just some clarification on this would be great, if anyone knows.

Thank you!
PD2
Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

These are all types of chassis of On-Road Vehicles Tamiya has to offer to suit the different needs of different racers.

Basically, the abbreviation TRF means "its the best we have to offer".

The TA is a belt drive line of cars. The newest one and currently popular is the TA05. They have their own thread on this forum.

The TL-01, TT-01, is more of a beginner chassis. Some will argue against that, but I would say they are not really "out of the box" competitive.

The TB is a shaft drive line of cars. EVO means evolution (usually only found behind shaft driven cars), any TB car with the words EVO behind it means "its a class above the normal TB". Its got more hopups etcs.

The hottest car tamiya has to offer right now IMO interms of belt and shaft are:

belt: TRF 415MS (the 415MSX version is appearing soon)
shaft: EVO IVMS

my $0.02
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
These are all types of chassis of On-Road Vehicles Tamiya has to offer to suit the different needs of different racers.

Basically, the abbreviation TRF means "its the best we have to offer".

The TA is a belt drive line of cars. The newest one and currently popular is the TA05. They have their own thread on this forum.

The TL-01, TT-01, is more of a beginner chassis. Some will argue against that, but I would say they are not really "out of the box" competitive.

The TB is a shaft drive line of cars. EVO means evolution (usually only found behind shaft driven cars), any TB car with the words EVO behind it means "its a class above the normal TB". Its got more hopups etcs.

The hottest car tamiya has to offer right now IMO interms of belt and shaft are:

belt: TRF 415MS (the 415MSX version is appearing soon)
shaft: EVO IVMS

my $0.02
Thanks!! That makes a lot more sense.

As far as parts and ability to take hop ups from one line to the other, do any of the chassis share any common parts? In other words, if you had a TT-01, did some hopups and upgrades, then wanted to go to a TA-05 or the TRF, would any of the hopups and upgrades from the TT-01 work on the TA-05 or TRF?

Thank you!
PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
TA-01 and TA-02 are not belt driven !
TA-01 & TA-02 are still available in some off-road Tamiya car in the market.

e_lm_70
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by e_lm_70
TA-01 and TA-02 are not belt driven !
TA-01 & TA-02 are still available in some off-road Tamiya car in the market.

e_lm_70
Interesting.......so what makes that chassis a TA? Has to be some rhyme or reason to the name conventions, right?

PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe I can help out with the part interchangeability question:

TA04, TB02, TRF415 (standard suspension) and the new TA05 all share the same suspension components (except the 415 have graphite filled nylone versions of the same arms and front/rear hub carriers) Most of the universals and diff components are interchangeable as well (except for specific parts like belts, pulley, gears (depending on transmission type)) but components like diff balls, thrust bearing, diff nut are interchangeable The universals shares same components for these cars, with difference in universal bone length.

TB02R, TRF415MS, EVO IV and EVO IV MS have the new light weight suspension components. The above mentioned cars can all be converted to the new light weight suspension kit with conversion kits offered by Tamiya. Again, most of the universals and diff components are interchangeable as well (except for specific parts like belts, pulley, gears (depending on transmission type)) but components like diff balls, thrust bearing, diff nut are interchangeable The universals shares the same components for these cars, and again with difference in universal bone length.

TT series and TL series each have their own unique suspension setup

Shocks and springs are the same for all these cars, so it is interchangeable.

Hope that helped a bit

Steve Wang
Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some parts are shared among the models.. The TA04 arms and suspension bits can be found on most of the current line, Evo III, TB-02, TA05, and I believe the TRF414 and original 415(?). Now, the new kind, the lightweight suspension found on the Evo IV, can be used for all of those cars as well.

TRF Shocks, aluminum wheel hubs, suspension blocks, and universals can be used in any model (well, relatively.. you still have to watch the shaft lengths), but other than that, there are just specific bits that are borrowed here and there. TA05 has the Evo IV's front bumper brace and Front sway bar, but the 415's rear sway bar (or vice versa), TT-01 can use the Evo IV's aluminum shaft, and little stuff like that.

Hop-ups like shock towers, one-ways, pulleys, motor mounts, etc. are rather specific to the chassis by design, but Tamiya's pretty good about telling you what part can be used on which kits.

edit: I guess you just beat me to the punch, steve!

Last edited by Jam-ehz; 09-08-2005 at 09:25 AM. Reason: hah...
Old 09-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Some parts are shared among the models.. The TA04 arms and suspension bits can be found on most of the current line, Evo III, TB-02, TA05, and I believe the TRF414 and original 415(?). Now, the new kind, the lightweight suspension found on the Evo IV, can be used for all of those cars as well.

TRF Shocks, aluminum wheel hubs, suspension blocks, and universals can be used in any model (well, relatively.. you still have to watch the shaft lengths), but other than that, there are just specific bits that are borrowed here and there. TA05 has the Evo IV's front bumper brace and Front sway bar, but the 415's rear sway bar (or vice versa), TT-01 can use the Evo IV's aluminum shaft, and little stuff like that.

Hop-ups like shock towers, one-ways, pulleys, motor mounts, etc. are rather specific to the chassis by design, but Tamiya's pretty good about telling you what part can be used on which kits.

edit: I guess you just beat me to the punch, steve!
hehehehe, I guess we were posting at the same time. Quite a few small components like you mentioned are interchangeable as well (wheel hubs, suspension blocks) also small items like ball studs, turnbuckles, ball cups...etc. Usually the header tag will tell you which chassis it works with, but some of the older components will not list compatibility with newer models.

Steve Wang
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Ultimately it sounds like staying away from the TT and TL series will allow for the most flexibility with hop ups and interchangability too, correct?

So then what is the major difference between the TA and TB line when it comes to the stock kits? Is one better than the other?

Thanks for all your input guys! I really appreciate it!

PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 12:19 PM
PD2
Tech Master

In addition to my above questions, what about the TT-01R chassis? Seems like a hopped up/upgraded setup, right? Worth a darn?

PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

i do not no the abbreviation for ta series cars,but in my opinion,starting from the lowest cost/spec to the highest i see it like this.

TL series
TB series
TA series
TBEVO series
TRF series

now TLO1 is the cheapest with lowest specs of them all.very few hop ups.
TB tub chassis more specs then TL range.
TA next level down from TRF belt range,but upgradable to top spec.ie,the TA-04 could be upgraded to TRF 414 spec.but TA04 out of the box was cheaper and lower spec.Also i think TA05 can be upgraded to a TRF415MS spec i think?or as near as damit.stcok pats on TA and trf range are almost the same.
TBEVO series cars are all shaft driven.this have been below and above the perfornmance cost to TRF cars.
The ultimate though is the TRF range,these cars arethe highest and most expensive that tamiya can offer.these have normally been the tamiya to have.
hope this helps a little
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Great info! Thanks! But what about this TT-01R?

PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PD2
Great info! Thanks! But what about this TT-01R?

PD2
i would put the tto1r just before the TA range,as i dont think you can hop it up as much,plus its opotential isnt as good as TA05 range.
are you wandering which one to get?or just for personal reference
Old 09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trf racer
i would put the tto1r just before the TA range,as i dont think you can hop it up as much,plus its opotential isnt as good as TA05 range.
are you wandering which one to get?or just for personal reference
Kind of both. I wouldn't really want to fork out a ton of cash on a TRF today, but would want some thing race worthy for club racing. May be have a few upgrades, but also was looking at the Tamiya cause it appears that you can take some, if not all, hop ups and switch them to different chassis' depending on what is compatible, right?

PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PD2
Kind of both. I wouldn't really want to fork out a ton of cash on a TRF today, but would want some thing race worthy for club racing. May be have a few upgrades, but also was looking at the Tamiya cause it appears that you can take some, if not all, hop ups and switch them to different chassis' depending on what is compatible, right?

PD2
If i was a local club driver,didnt want much flash,didnt want to fork out a hell of a lot money,but was quite upgradable to a higher level,i would go for the TA05 range.
now i havenmt driven one,or even seen one in the flesh,but i heard that against other cars,its very competitve.
i THINK it takes TRF415 damper mounts,with TBEVO4 carbon fibre bumper plate,TRF flourine dampers,springs etc.
its probably the most ugradable car,with the highest performance level then any of the cars i have listed before.[WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LATEST TRF AND TBEVO4 RANGE].
i would definetly think about investing in this if that what i wanted,a cheap,high perfornmance car which is upgradable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.