Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Charging 2500mah batteries for 3PK >

Charging 2500mah batteries for 3PK

Charging 2500mah batteries for 3PK

Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Charging 2500mah batteries for 3PK

I just brought 2 packs of 2500mah AA Rechargable Energizer batteries for my Radio (Tx), I put them on the 3PK battery tray and hook them up to the Reedy Quaster Pro charger, charge it at 1amps (that is the limit for 6 cells or more), however, I have no idea what is a good discharge rate of these AA 2500mah...so I set it a 3 amps, and delta peak at 5.......and I cycle it 3 times.

After a full days.........it ended up only charging 332mah and about 250mah discharge......seems like I cannot charge them fully (way below 2500mah)....what did I do wrong here..?

I do not have the energizer charger, I thought our RC charger should be capable to charge these Nimh for 2500mah..........My charger can charge 3700 GP, but seems like it cannot pick up the 2500mah AA...

Do you guys think my delta peak is too high..should i set it to 3..? Or any other solution...? thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

try setting ur delta peak to 8. i have 2500 batts and they charge just fine w/ my ice. i also equalize them w/ the smart tray.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dakrat
try setting ur delta peak to 8. i have 2500 batts and they charge just fine w/ my ice. i also equalize them w/ the smart tray.
Thanks for the reply....but my charger cannot set anything higher then 5 at delta peak.... I think it is my charger problem...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Thanks for the reply....but my charger cannot set anything higher then 5 at delta peak.... I think it is my charger problem...
i charged mine at 0.5 amps with 03 delta peak... and ive never discharged it before. i just run it in my radio until the voltage says 9.7
Old 09-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I charge my rx batts in a four AA batt holder. I was told you can't charge all 8 batts at once fully unless you have a turbo 30-35 or equivalent with a real good powersupply.

Doing 4 at a time, I use .05 detect and charge at 1 amp. I do discharge them with a lightbulb also. I don't need to do it only every couple weeks or so.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if ure charger cant deal with high delta values i would sugest to use a lower charge rate. The lower the charge rate, the lower Dv value needed. Also, if u charge 4 cells at one time then .4v would be equal to charge 8 @ .8v

I wouldnt bother to discharge them also. You dont need high voltage on AA batteries, and nimh have almost no memory efect. But just in case, try to charge them at different voltages. If u charge them at the same voltage (like hebiki said) its more likely to gain a memory efect.

I have AA nimh with almost 2 years that were completed discharged only 1 or twice. It doesnt seem to harm them if u charge before complete discharge. In fact most manufacturers say they SHOULDNT be completely discharged.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for all the help......I am going to try using the stock 4 cell case to charge only 4 at a time.....I have to agree, charging 8 at a time does have some kind of "misunderstanding" between the 2500mah and the charging, again, I do not have a high end charger, but I thought the Reedy Quaster is AVERAGE enough to do this kind of a job....
Again, I will try charge them 4 at a time.....what do you guys think the AMP that I should set at...? 0.8 to 1 amps...? What about Delta Peak...? 3, 5 or 8 (again, 4 cells each time...)
I want to discharge my cell cause I do want to see the # of mah displaying on my charger, but I keep seeing 300mah or so on the charging and it is peaking at that rate.....that is just not right.

Thanks......
Old 09-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Set your delta peak as low as you can go. I use .05 just like my car batts. I'd go with 1 amp. You can go lower if you want but it will take forever.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Set your delta peak as low as you can go. I use .05 just like my car batts. I'd go with 1 amp. You can go lower if you want but it will take forever.
Actually, i like it when it takes forever
As a general rule, the lower the charge rate, bigger lifetime you get from youre cells. Since high discharge voltages are not important for these kind of cells, you dont need to use high charge rate (unless you are in a hurry).

I found that you can get a lot more capacity from cells charging at 0.1A. Yes, it will take almost 2 days, but they give a lot more amps. I use 1800mha nimh batteries and they give almost 50% extra mha charging at low rate. also, this way they will never get warm, wich is good because heat kills cells. i use 20mv for 4 cells. at +0,5A i use 10mv.