Wiki Posts
Search

Any Input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Any Input welcome

Hi guys,very new to 1/10th Touring cars,Its winter time down here and our offroad meetings are few and far between.So a few of us have decided to try some onroad action .We have an old indoor polished basketball court at our disposal which is awesome but we are having huge dramas getting any sort of grip at all,any suggestions on tyres to try? or are we fighting a losing battle..Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Due to the very smooth surface any dust ect will greatly reduce grip.

Make sure the surface is very clean.

You may not be able to but we used to use a tacky grease (kyosho) on the tyres as well.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Have you tried a foam tire? It wouldn't have the same issues with the dust nearly as much. Plus, on a surface like that, it could last indefinitely
Old 07-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Would it be posible to spray track with sugar water and let it dry before you run, then mop it up after ?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

We use to race in a like wedding hall on friday nights. We would get there and lay down carpet like three big rolls. Then put our track down over there tape over the seams and we went racing. Maybe you can do this there? No lack of grip on the ozite :P.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think it was Bolink, maybe Parma, but someone used to make precoated tires. The trick is silicone, plain clear silicone.

Just goop a thin layer around the tire and get ready it's gonna be on rails.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=239487
Old 07-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
I think it was Bolink, maybe Parma, but someone used to make precoated tires. The trick is silicone, plain clear silicone.

Just goop a thin layer around the tire and get ready it's gonna be on rails.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=239487
I remember doing this 25+ years ago. I know dirt oval guys used this trick.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've heard of people using mini-pin tyres on such surfaces in the UK. It might be worth a try. Unfortunately they don't last very long.

I used to race in a sports hall that was a similar surface but we used to lay carpet on top of it and roll it up afterwards. It didn't take long.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Lacquer finish the problem, have to roughen it up on corners. Straightaway maybe problem of drifting. Sugar water maybe to thin, has to be consisantacy of honey. Sugar water, grease may take years to break it in, unless you scuff the surface up. for it to soak it up. Surface suited for drifting.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

The best : Schum MiniPins, blues last quite a long time but yellows have more grip. With these tires you can have a decent grip.
I was told that Schumacher Rally tyres are also a good option.

Foam tires were the worst thing I tried on an indoor sports court. No grip at all, even with 35 shores.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Used to race on polished wood floors all the time, both with 1/12th and buggies.

Easy option are Schumacher yellow minipins, for both buggies and touring cars.
These buggies are all on minipins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOpmHrarUUc

The better option, but requires a bit of work from the drivers, is silicone. Either soft foam tyres, slicks or off road tyres with all the spikes removed will work fine. Foam is the best option as the silicone does grip the tyre surface better, but rubber tyres still work fine and make it easier to replace the silicone if needed.

To make them you don't need any special silicone, ordinary silicone sealant does the job fine. You will need something flat to roll them on piece of glass, plastic, laminate, etc, and get something to use as an axle through the wheels. Put some dish soap and water on your flat surface, coat the tyres in plenty of silicone and roll them across the soapy water to smooth the silicone out. Leave on one side for a day to dry out thoroughly. This should give you a set of silicone slick tyres. If the surface you are racing on is dusty, you can make spike tyres to cut through the dust. Once the silicone coating is dry add more silicone to the tyres and roll two tyres together, by rolling the wheels around each other it spreads out the silicone and creates matching spikes on the surface. Put to one side to dry. After racing, if the spikes have worn down just wash any dust off the surface and after drying just add more silicone and roll the tyres together again.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks heaps for the input guys! ill try some/all of these suggestions and get back to you
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

I have to ask!! You buy the floor? Or a building or gym? If it in a gym w/ B-bal and Volley ball court. I would not think they let you use grease or any made made concoction on the floor. Would turn the athlete into quadriplegic!!!
Just asking!!!!