Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112
quick question.. what are yalls opinions on battery plugs.. i been using the bullet connectors for my touring car.. i use deans plugs in all other cars.. i popped my ESC this weekend.. cuz the orca batteries are able to be flipped over.. and plugged in backwards.. so.. i was thinking of using plugs to prevent this in the future..
I avoid batteries that are either opposite my normal packs or that you can flip over and reverse the plugs for this reason. Just not worth the risk IMO.

As far as plugs go, I'm sure for most applications they are just fine but I do like the security that the bullets have when you plug them in. I don't think I've ever seen once come unplugged.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

quick question.. what are yalls opinions on battery plugs.. i been using the bullet connectors for my touring car.. i use deans plugs in all other cars.. i popped my ESC this weekend.. cuz the orca batteries are able to be flipped over.. and plugged in backwards.. so.. i was thinking of using plugs to prevent this in the future..
I use some cheap red paint and paint my batteries on the corners around the plugs. I have some batteries in which the post goes all the way through and I just be sure to paint both sides.
This way I can clearly see which is positive.

tim
Old 08-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

ok, thanks for yalls input.. i do have the wires set so one wont reach the other.. i think plugging the opposite side would be a good idea.. the Orca look same both ways.. cuz the tape on the side.. not on top.. thanks again.. i might just fill solder on one side.. lol.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I put a piece of black electrical tape over the terminals on one side of the battery. That way, I always place that side of the battery down, and thus the positive and negative terminal are always in the same location/orientation.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Deans plugs are great, infact better in performance than bullets but not as neat.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Cover the terminals on the unused side with tape and cut one wire short so it will only reach one terminal. No more costly errors
Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DamianW
Deans plugs are great, infact better in performance than bullets but not as neat.
not for mod tc
Old 08-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eded1
not for mod tc
Deans are better in mod but irrelevant provided they don't get hot as there is power to spare.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DamianW
Why are they better in performance, and why, then, doesn't the pro drivers use deans?

And when we drove 1/8 scale off road E buggies deans were never used, EC5's were the favorite connectors.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

I think it's partly to do with how the wires are connected inside the packs themselves.
Deans wired packs have their wires attach directly to the cells, where a lot (though I believe not as many any more) of the stick poacks used to have to have a PCB at the end of the pack soldered on the cells, then the tubes soldered onto the PCB, so two solder joints instead of one.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Question? Unless the battery is prewired with Deans plugs, how are they more efficient? You still have the bullet style connector in the battery on the Deans pigtail.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Question? Unless the battery is prewired with Deans plugs, how are they more efficient? You still have the bullet style connector in the battery on the Deans pigtail.
Good point!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I think it's partly to do with how the wires are connected inside the packs themselves.
Deans wired packs have their wires attach directly to the cells, where a lot (though I believe not as many any more) of the stick poacks used to have to have a PCB at the end of the pack soldered on the cells, then the tubes soldered onto the PCB, so two solder joints instead of one.
Why can't a normal hard case lipo with let's say 5mm bullet holes not be soldered directly to the cells in the lipo in the same way as a "deans lipo"?

Even a hard case lipo with bullet hole conenctors are wired to the cells the same way as a lipo with wires and a Deans connector I would assume.

They are essentially the same. You have two solder joints (esc and cells in the lipo) and a connection. In one case the connection is externally via a Deans plug and in the other case "internally" in the lipo via the bullet holes.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
If you look at my post I mention that the Deans packs are wired internally, i.e. I was only talking about prewired packs.

Originally Posted by Salkin
Why can't a normal hard case lipo with let's say 5mm bullet holes not be soldered directly to the cells in the lipo in the same way as a "deans lipo"?

Even a hard case lipo with bullet hole conenctors are wired to the cells the same way as a lipo with wires and a Deans connector I would assume.

They are essentially the same. You have two solder joints (esc and cells in the lipo) and a connection. In one case the connection is externally via a Deans plug and in the other case "internally" in the lipo via the bullet holes.
The 4 or 5mm tubes (by the way, every time SMC have tested them, 4mm show lower resistances than the 5mm, strange but true) have to be held in position somehow, this always used to involve the tubes being mounted on a PCB at the end of the pack.

When I first started buying Thunder Power packs (nearly 7 years ago) I spoke to Jim Skinner who asked why UK drivers wanted 4mm tubes on their packs when Dean's packs had lower resistance. He also asked if they would sell more if they were fitted with 4mm tubes and I replied yes. So they started shipping lipo's with the 4mm tubes.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The 4 or 5mm tubes (by the way, every time SMC have tested them, 4mm show lower resistances than the 5mm, strange but true) have to be held in position somehow, this always used to involve the tubes being mounted on a PCB at the end of the pack..
OK, I see

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.