Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

I've read your edited part. I decided only just to polish all the other pivot balls, except for the shocks, because my belief was/is a: it's a Xray and b: the shocks will face heavy vertical and horizontal force during a run, so my assumption was any thight movement will be resolved the very first runs.
I have build other Xrays, for other people as well, and I have never seen this before.

I agree what you say, I can hardly believe I have 4 bad shock tops or pivot balls, but this all still is a mystery.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Govert
I've read your edited part. I decided only just to polish all the other pivot balls, except for the shocks, because my belief was/is a: it's a Xray and b: the shocks will face heavy vertical and horizontal force during a run, so my assumption was any thight movement will be resolved the very first runs.
I have build other Xrays, for other people as well, and I have never seen this before.

I agree what you say, I can hardly believe I have 4 bad shock tops or pivot balls, but this all still is a mystery.
I understand your thought that you wouldn't need to polish because it's an Xray and they do have great overall quality. However, I think it is important to polish any moving part regardless of the brand because of the load/pressure that is placed on them as the car rolls. When you place load on those parts, any imperfection will be magnified and can cause a bind or inconsistent feel. Polishing the pins, pivot balls, etc. will reduce/remove any bind unless of course there is a bigger issue causing bind. It seems you have a bigger issue here, which is out of your control.

While I don't see it being likely to have this much bad plastic right out of the box, I don't believe it is impossible. Have you contacted your distributor? I would offer to send some of the plastic caps, but I don't have any extras at the moment and I'm not sure they would get to you quick enough if I did.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

I understand what you are saying. As I re-read my post again, I had the same idea as you. I think I should have done it, BUT I was afraid I would polish off too much (even if it's 0.05mm of material) and cause too much movement between pivot ball and eyelet. I have seen this happen on other brands (influence on the droop setting, caused by slop). No matter how short amount of time they where polished.

I agree as well on the bigger issue as well. I have send Xray a message, but I will most likely send my distributor a mail as well. Hope they will help me out.

Last edited by Govert; 03-04-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Edit: polishing also doesn't do the job...
Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Suspended

Edit: polishing also doesn't do the job...

Got ya. Well at least we eliminated all the variables that we can at this point.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Even better; Right now I've got a car next to me I fully rebuild a month ago for a fellow driver. It's a T3 and this one does not have the same problem. It moves freely, even when it's thight to the flat spot of the ball cup...
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I am not an X-Ray guy, but I am not see in how the motion. Your doing with the shock makes a difference. The question I have is; when the lower shock is no attached to the arm, is there freedom of movement in the shocks natural plane of rotation? Ie, rotating around the pivot on the x axis, not the Y axis as you are demonstrating in the video.

I will agree that the clicking thing seems unusual, but it looks like you may just be pushing the shock top too far. The outer click seems to give you more range of motion, and if it is free to move with no slop, then you should be fine. If the shock is tight in its natural plane, then you have an tolerance issue from either the pivot ball or the shock top.

Have you moved the shocks to other pivot balls? Just to eliminate a variable. Try attaching the shock to
to the lower arm pivot ball. Check movement. If its good, then the issue is probably the upper pivot balls. Attach the lower shock cup to upper pivot ball to verify.

Xray is very hi quality, but even the best can include back parts. However the likely hood that you have multiple bad of the same parts is highly unlikely. The exception would be if you aren't the only one with these same issues and X-Ray produced an entire bad lot of parts.

Good luck solving your issue
Old 03-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, it moves very freely on the X axis. No problem.

I'm not pushing or forcing the top of the shock. So I'm not pushing it in too far, it just some sort of clicks in without any serious effort. During a run the shock will certainly move to the place close to the shock tower, the problem area. As a result a restriction of movement will occur.

The shock is not tight in its natuaral plane, it can move freely. As long as I pull it away from the shock tower, the y axis is fine as well.

Since I have it on all four shocks, the chances would be highly unlikely the 4 pivot balls would be the problem. Especially because there is no difference between the lower pivot balls and the upper. Lower are fine. It would be very very strange and almost impossible just to pick all the 4 bad pivot balls out of 8 and install them in the upper position, and all the 4 good ones in the lower position. I do understand what you are saying, but chances are small to zero.

Thanks for your input as well as Robbie.

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I am not an X-Ray guy, but I am not see in how the motion. Your doing with the shock makes a difference. The question I have is; when the lower shock is no attached to the arm, is there freedom of movement in the shocks natural plane of rotation? Ie, rotating around the pivot on the x axis, not the Y axis as you are demonstrating in the video.

I will agree that the clicking thing seems unusual, but it looks like you may just be pushing the shock top too far. The outer click seems to give you more range of motion, and if it is free to move with no slop, then you should be fine. If the shock is tight in its natural plane, then you have an tolerance issue from either the pivot ball or the shock top.

Have you moved the shocks to other pivot balls? Just to eliminate a variable. Try attaching the shock to
to the lower arm pivot ball. Check movement. If its good, then the issue is probably the upper pivot balls. Attach the lower shock cup to upper pivot ball to verify.

Xray is very hi quality, but even the best can include back parts. However the likely hood that you have multiple bad of the same parts is highly unlikely. The exception would be if you aren't the only one with these same issues and X-Ray produced an entire bad lot of parts.

Good luck solving your issue
EDIT: I contacted the distributor and they are sending me new plastics. Great service! I will update about the outcome.

Last edited by Govert; 03-04-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Glad your gettin the new parts. But did you attach the upper shock cap to the lower pivot ball to see if the same thing (the clicking) occured. At this point I'm just curious.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Glad your gettin the new parts. But did you attach the upper shock cap to the lower pivot ball to see if the same thing (the clicking) occured. At this point I'm just curious.

Yes, did this while on the phone with the distributor. No difference.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Glad to hear your distributor is willing to work with you toward resolving the issue!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R Dodge
Glad to hear your distributor is willing to work with you toward resolving the issue!

Thanks a lot for your help. I will let you know if new plastics are the solution.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you for your answer Dodge.
Well, the vent holes are pointed towards the shock tower(s). I can understand the confusion, because it seems like there's this shiny ring on the outside of the top eyelet. It actually is a mark of a shim/spacer I used to pop the pivot in the eyelet (like the manual is pointing out). The bottom eyelet has the shiny side pointed outward, as you can see.

So the shiny side of the eyelet is pointing towards shock tower, as wel as the vent hole...
Hi, Govert.

What I see is not normal, what I dont see is the shape of the ball.
I check it on my t4 15 and it is not moving much lateral over the ball.
I dont know

Regards

Ed
Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eded1
Hi, Govert.

What I see is not normal, what I dont see is the shape of the ball.
I check it on my t4 15 and it is not moving much lateral over the ball.
I dont know

Regards

Ed
My thoughts as well, Ed. But the shape of the ball is normal. I already mounted the shock to the pivot ball of the T3 I have here, but same story.

I hope new plastics will do the trick...If not, they might be some errors in the production line...
Old 03-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

My thoughts as well, Ed. But the shape of the ball is normal. I already mounted the shock to the pivot ball of the T3 I have here, but same story.

I hope new plastics will do the trick...If not, they might be some errors in the production line...
OK, this is something that is missed by quality control.
If you write this including the film to M Hudy he will take action because they
are very proud persons and they know it harms Xray's reputation.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.