Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX >

DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX

DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX

Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

here`s a pic
Attached Thumbnails DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX-yz-110p.jpg  
Old 02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

I also noticed that robitronic rebadged it as well
Old 02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have an ICE but I am going to pick up a CTX. Why? Because I am getting the CTX-D Discharger and want my charger & discharger to match
Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

here a link to the spec sheet from the yokomo one i just found? i guess this charger is even better than most think..

http://www.teamyokomo.com/japan/news/yz_110.pdf

but there must be a reason to buy the much more one, i really wish someone would do a comparison test among chargers, it would be really nice to see some true third party data.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jamescam
I have an ICE but I am going to pick up a CTX. Why? Because I am getting the CTX-D Discharger and want my charger & discharger to match
see i just bought a ctx-d, and this is why i am think of getting the much more units... just to match, i mean you pit area has to look cool doesn't it?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

First of all the CTX is the best charger for IB3800's hands down.
The boost charging method is awesome.
It really bring the cells up in punch and power unlike the ICE

Let me tell you why the ICE is going to be the charger of the future.

Todays Nimh batteries are pushed to the max in size and technology.
I don't really see the Nimh batteries getting that much more improvment in the future. Not going to happen!!

The ICE charges Lithium ion batteries...

Nimh batteries are going to go like the Nicad batteries.
I see the market shifting to Lithium ion batteries in the next 5 years...

There now you all know....
Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6g72tt
see i just bought a ctx-d, and this is why i am think of getting the much more units... just to match, i mean you pit area has to look cool doesn't it?
Now your talking!!!

You bet it does! Your pit station has to match.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech

I don't really see the Nimh batteries getting that much more improvment in the future. Not going to happen!!

The Cell Master also charges both Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries.

And, MuchMore will be introducing a new Li-Po specific charger soon.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nexus when will you get the CTX in stock?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech

what do u mean by boost mode?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamescam
Nexus when will you get the CTX in stock?
Cell Masters are arriving with the CTX-D's very soon. The shipment did not arrive today as we expected, so they should be here Monday.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't have the CTX and therefore can't comment on a comparison between the it and the ICE. I did read Nexus Racing's post regarding:
Essentially, the CM will deal with the extra heat generated by the super linear current by utilizing these fine peak detection settings. Consequently, you get a battery with a lot of punch without having to overcharge it.
and
With a Turbo 35 for instance, it is common to see a battery fluctuate in voltage as it peaks (with a .03v delta peak setting): 9.14-9.13-9.14-9.13-9.14 etc..
If peak detection is the only advantage, then I'll have to express my rebuttle. In my experience, I don't see how any charger could detect better than the ICE. As long as there is no false peak, a peak is a peak. It's the point where the cells won't take anymore and start to build heat and lose voltage.

The ICE has never false peaked for me so far. Additionally, if you want to, you can zoom out or zoom in and watch the digital graph curve and easily see it's peak. During racing, I usally set the ICE to show me the graph, and you can cleary see the curve showing the peak and start to fall. I don't see voltage fluctuations that Nexus Racing has mentioned. If I choose to, I'll stop the charge right at 0 peak. Even if I didn't predict the 0 peak exactly perfectly, I'd only be off by a few seconds at most.

This relates to either the instability of the current output or the charging pattern all together. A charger can have a net output current 55 out of 60 seconds due to unstable amp current or pre-programmed charging patterns.
How come I don't see this on my ICE? My charges are always beautiful continuous curves. No pauses, no abnormalities, and always a constant charge. Easy to predict the peaks. I do admit, that I do have a good power supply though. (My power supply can provide constant power for 3-4 seconds even while unplugged.)
Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by James35
I don't have the CTX and therefore can't comment on a comparison between the it and the ICE. I did read Nexus Racing's post regarding:

and

If peak detection is the only advantage, then I'll have to express my rebuttle. In my experience, I don't see how any charger could detect better than the ICE. As long as there is no false peak, a peak is a peak. It's the point where the cells won't take anymore and start to build heat and lose voltage.

The ICE has never false peaked for me so far. Additionally, if you want to, you can zoom out or zoom in and watch the digital graph curve and easily see it's peak. During racing, I usally set the ICE to show me the graph, and you can cleary see the curve showing the peak and start to fall. I don't see voltage fluctuations that Nexus Racing has mentioned. If I choose to, I'll stop the charge right at 0 peak. Even if I didn't predict the 0 peak exactly perfectly, I'd only be off by a few seconds at most.

How come I don't see this on my ICE? My charges are always beautiful continuous curves. No pauses, no abnormalities, and always a constant charge. Easy to predict the peaks. I do admit, that I do have a good power supply though. (My power supply can provide constant power for 3-4 seconds even while unplugged.)
The peak detection and the type of charge need to first be thought of seperately. The CM's SLC is a type of charge that usually requires a very fine peak detection to prevent damage to the battery from heat. I say "usually" here because if the battery is charged in a very cool ambient, it will not get as hot.
Certainly, both chargers will generate a full charge and peak the battery. An industry standard charger will charge further past the peak voltage than the Cell Master, and generate heat as it does so. In most situations, a battery charged with the CM is close to the ideal peak temperature as the battery reaches its peak voltage, making most of the extra heat generated by a high delta peak excessive, and possibly harmful to the battery (of course, the CM would cut off at your temperature cutoff to prevent harm in this case).

Do not confuse charging amperage with the battery pack's voltage. The [minor] inconsistencies I refer to are in the charging current; this is not indicated in a voltage curve until seeing the battery's response at the end of charge.

Overkill? Perhaps .

For a more detailed explanation: Delta Peak and Super Linear Current on the Cell Master
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have had many many different chargers. I got an ice last year to try. Well now I have 3. If they would have not put Duratrax name on them, I think just about everyone would have one. I have never had one problem them other that I crack my display one time because I was a dumb ass... Duratrax sent me a new display no charge w/ in a few days. WOW. They defiantly have great customer service. You can't go wrong w/ an Ice.....
Old 02-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't see why people think there is a benefit in the step charging on the ctx as a lot of team drivers have siad that there is no benefit in it and the best way to charge your batteries is a linear charge. Anyway the ICE has step charging like on the ctx but it is customizable. The ICE also does lipo batteries which would save even more money.
Go the ICE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.