Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freezeframe007
I am late to the party I know. But, I recently acquired a sc5m with several upgrades and have only ran about 3 packs. I have yet to race it though. It is a mod sct class. I put a Reds VX 8.5, HW SCT pro and Savox 1258tg for electronics. I was so impressed with the truck and heard great things about the 5 series cars, I purchased a T5m. It is going to replace my 22T 1.0 with exotek steering rack and captured rod ends. I was also running the exotek slipper eliminator.

This will be run in a 17.5 stock class. I plan on using my same electronics for the build...they are pretty new (Red VX 17.5, Justock, and 1258tg). I ordered the slipper eliminator for this one as well. Will decide after the build if I want to install it.

My track is fairly small and usually technical (avg lap times 23-26 for middle to front of the pack), fairly smooth, couple bumps here and there, medium to medium-high bite.

Looking for inputs on the build? It should show up today and I will start as soon as possible. I am picking up on the kyosho gold springs and one step lighter in shock oils from the stock setup as well as the shorty pack for stock. Should the shorty be inline or lt/rt? I already ordered the 8.5 al rear hexes, Ti turnbuckles and al rear hubs.

Anything else I should know and do on this build?
Best $ I ever spent on my T5M was the Schelle oiled ceramic gearbox bearings. Otherwise build it and enjoy it! The JConcepts rear camber block is really nice also but it's just bling really and an extra hole to try out. Tires and practice can go miles!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aeRayls
A 10.5 without any massive timing or boost needs about 25/78 to start.
I have an app that will let me pick a model vehicle (internal gear ratio), tire diameter, gear pitch and then plug in my spur and pinion to come up with the FGR and Rollout. I understand that increasing the spur or decreasing the pinion adds torque, increases FDR and lowers top end, likely lowering temps. Increasing pinion or decreasing the spur, on the other hand, lowers torque, lowers FDR, increases top end speed and will increase temps. Did I get that right?

The part of the equation that I haven't wrapped my head around in where the motor turn spec/kv rating comes into play. Is there a chart somewhere that shows how the relates to or impacts the FDR or end performance result?

I ask because you made reference to the motor turn in your post...
Old 05-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

So, my kit just arrived. I haven't done anything today except paint the body and wing and assemble the two pieces.

I recently picked up a SC5m (very lightly used...one day I think) and it has the 3 gear tranny in it. I like the way that feels on the track. I am thinking of putting the same thing in the T5m.

What is the parts list that I need to make the conversion from 4 gear to 3 gear? Also will the AE 3 gear parts directly swap over to the MIP tranny case or do I need to get their complete transmission?

TIA
Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by setsharp
I have no idea if I am in the right place or not, but I am getting tired of searching through pages and pages of threads. So here I am with a question, pardon my ignorance if I'm asking in the wrong thread.

I recently bought a T5M after running a friends at our local indoor clay track and falling in love with the chassis. I bought a lightly used roller from the buy/sell section of RCtech, and got it in the mail today. I installed a castle brushless system with a 5700kv motor, flysky receiver and a savox servo on it to test it out until my Tekin RSX and sensored motor come in later this week.

The car drives and handles fine, but makes a terrible noise under full throttle. It sounds/feels like it is slipping somewhere (it sounds alot like an old vacuum cleaner). I tightened the slipper clutch beyond where that could be what is slipping, and it still makes the racket and experiences slippage. I then locked up the spur/pinion with an extra pinion gear and slowly spun the tires manually. It is not slipping at the slipper clutch. I can not think of anything else it could be except the differential? I am extremely novice at RC mechanics and don't know how the insides of these diffs are setup, but have a basic knowledge of a full size vehicle diff.

Where do I go from here? is the differential adjustable? am I way off track thinking that is the problem? Do I need to rebuild it?

P.S. the chassis appears to be extremely new. no scratches or wear anywhere on it.
P.P.S. my friend who's T5 I first drove spoke with me today and said that his car is now experiencing the same problem.
I just experienced what I believe to be the same thing on my SC5m. Initially, I thought I had lost my mesh between the spur and pinion. I didn't have any tools with me at the time. When I got back to the house, I pulled the slipper cover only to find the slipper, pinion and mesh were perfect. So, I pulled the whole rear suspension assembly and removed the tranny. When I opened it, I found the idler gear completely stripped and two teeth missing from the diff gear as well. Mine has the 3 gear tranny.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So, my kit just arrived. I haven't done anything today except paint the body and wing and assemble the two pieces.

I recently picked up a SC5m (very lightly used...one day I think) and it has the 3 gear tranny in it. I like the way that feels on the track. I am thinking of putting the same thing in the T5m.

What is the parts list that I need to make the conversion from 4 gear to 3 gear? Also will the AE 3 gear parts directly swap over to the MIP tranny case or do I need to get their complete transmission?

TIA
3 gear conversion, gear cover, motor plate, transmission cases. MIP trans has been discontinued, maybe you could find one used, if your track is medium to high bite you should consider a laydown though
Old 05-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Carpet setup

Does anyone know what Cav's set up was or any other T5m driver for the EOS? I'm getting a front sway bar from Wallie_Builds that I know Cav had on it. But it would be interesting to see everything else like oil weight, springs, spring cups ect.. Cav is here in LV this weekend for worlds warm up. Maybe I should ask him? Lol
Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What tires do you guys use on the ST on carpet? In know Schumacher makes some but the front stagger ribs look really tall in the pictures. And do you need foam in them?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikos2002
What tires do you guys use on the ST on carpet? In know Schumacher makes some but the front stagger ribs look really tall in the pictures. And do you need foam in them?
Schumacher is the only one making carpet tires for stadium. And we run yellow or blue compound mini pin on rear w/ proline foams. Schumacher cut stagger with open cell foams in front yellow compound. If you need a little less side bite you can cut the tread outside on rear.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default carpet

I did see a guy last weekend run with out foams in hid fronts It did not work some one gave him bad information

Have any of you ran or been around a t5m running on carpet with a laydown conversion like they run in the B5m. wondering if they would help enough you could tell a difference?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't run a laydown transmission in mine. Just a standard 3 gear, 45wt on all 4 corners, 20-22mm ride height and yellow springs in front. Schumacher ribs in front, schumacher Vee-2 rear tires with proline open cell foam.

Last edited by Dave H; 05-09-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default crpet

your are running heaver oil than I am did the heaver oil make it more stable in the corners
Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

there was video of cav talking bout his truck at eos i dont thing he ran a sway bar just stiifer fr spring. also he ran his cactus clssic set up w the only change being fr spring if i ca find it ill post it
Old 05-08-2016, 04:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TOBAMA
Does anyone run one of these in their T5m's? If so what Spur and pinion gear ratio are you running for a 13.5 motor. Thinking about purchasing one of these for my truck.
I put one in my 22T shortly after I built it. I was news to 2wd and chasing setup to get traction and such. I loved it. In that truck I had a 69T spur. I found that helped with my handling probably because I gave up a lot of torque with the smaller spur. That helped me with traction in a round about way.

I am still building this truck and already bought one an installed it. The build isn't finished yet but, I will run it in a 17.5 stock class. I chose a slightly larger 72T spur. I will still have the 69T if I need it and plan on getting a 75T also to give me some choices.

I am hoping I get T5m to the same point or better than 22T. That said; the SC5m I picked up is setup for mod sct and has a slipper and seems to handle pretty damn well. Not sure if that is because I am getting better at 2wd or if the truck is just awesome. I guess I will see when I finish this build and put it in the dirt.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

So, I am at the point in the build that I am ready to put the shock package together. I have read most of the 200 pages in this thread. I will be running stock 17.5 on a fairly small track (1/10 scale layout). The common tires for our local track are Holeshot and when it grooves up nicely a barcode. This is what I got so far...

Reds VX 17.5 motor
HW Juststock ESC
Savox 1258tg servo
SMC 4400mah shorty

-I built the truck suspension assemblies and steering rack as per the manual with regard to spacers and such
-blue AE hubs with the 4mm ball studs no spacers
-blue AE 8.5mm rear hexes
-Ti turnbuckles
-AE 3 gear tranny with standard ball diff
-trinity milled 3 gear motor plate (also added one vent hole in each milled section)
-I removed the plastic from the front of the battery cradle (so I can move the Justock back through the opening with the rx immediately in front of the esc)
-ordered the 3D waterfall so I can add the 30mm fan as well

-white springs for the rear (pair of green and black on standby)
-gray springs for the front (blue stock on standby)

Based on all this info...what am I looking at for shock oils?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

So, I am at the point in the build that I am ready to put the shock package together....what am I looking at for shock oils?
Just build it to kit setup and you'll be pretty happy with it. Then make small adjustments from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.