1/8th On Road Losing Popularity? >

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Old 08-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike_Swauger
That sounds good.
Ah....not you, you are no expert, you are WAY BEYOND EXPERT.....
Old 08-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Funny how everyone's cost comparisons pit the cheapest, least competitive 1/8 equipment against the absolute top-of-the-line 1/10 sedan equipment. 1/8 is vastly more expensive to get into and continue to run than 1/10 sedan. That they are starting to overlap on the low end of 1/8 and the high end of 1/10 sedan is more of an indictment against 1/10 than an endorsement of 1/8. They have both gotten way out of hand; it's just a matter of degree.

1/10 sedan started out as an entry level gas class. Very restricted engines, rubber tires, and other rules meant to keep costs down have one by one been chipped away at until the original intent has been diluted.

So the answer now is a 1/8 "spec" class??!! My how things have gone full circle. 1/10 sedan was an answer to rising 1/8 costs. Now that the gamesmen with the deep pockets have gotten their way in 1/10, the poor folks looking for relief (again) are looking for ways to make 1/8 "affordable". Why not just return 1/10 sedan to its original intent?
I disagree that 1/10th sedan was the answer to rising 1/8 cost...235mm 2wd was the answer, which was very popular. 200mm was first introduced as an RTR Kit (HPI). As a result of the HPI popularity, all the other manufacturers stepped up and introduced 200mm chassis's to the racing scene, which eventually replaced the 235.

Most 1/8th racers who feel that 1/8th $$$ has gotten out of hand are not dumping all their stuff and running 200mm. They are being selective as to when and where they race.

Mike's right, slowing down 1/8th cars by running "SPEC" engines would save on $$$ on engines, rebuilds for engines, parts and most important tires...Combined this would reduce the racers total expenditures.

I will try to work with Mike and ROAR to develop some basic engine guidlines for a "SPEC" class...Perhaps some clubs will pick-up on it and it will gain in popularity.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Ah....not you, you are no expert, you are WAY BEYOND EXPERT.....
LOL!!! Ok, I will just be a pitman for this class!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Our goal should be a to find a way to reduce the cost of 1/8th scale with what we have available....not go backwards in 1/10th...

The last time I ran a stop 3-port 12 engine, I feel asleep on the drivers stand. A "SPEC" engine is a 1/8th still creates a thrill....
Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

I got dibbs on Swauger pit service No more lean bog
Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Anytime Carl!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A "SPEC" engine is a 1/8th still creates a thrill....
And even better if you install this engine into a sedan
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like the idea of the off-road engine, but doesn't it have a different crankshaft?
Can we do something to adapt it to our clutch system or we will need to change either the clutch or the crankshaft on those engines?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

See Carl I already made arrangements with Mike on this one sorry
Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

You are right, Carl, most 1/8 racers are not dumping it for 1/10 sedan. They are leaving altogether. The fact that a lot of folks that are staying in it are becoming more selective and racing less often also speaks loud and clear about the costs. It would be interesting if we could compare sales volumes (rather than revenue) of 1/8 cars and equipment now vs. 10-15 years ago. Participation is definitely way down.

I don't think many folks go back down the ladder from 1/8 to 1/10 sedan, I was thinking more of those that are starting up that ladder. There is no suitable intermediate step left. 235 2wd was great, but then came 235 4wd, and the usual upward cost spiral. It got so close to 1/8 cost-wise that it no longer made sense or attracted racers.

Gas racing as a whole, regardless of class, needs a relatively inexpensive starting class to attract people to gas. While driving a 3-port .12 sedan may very well put a seasoned driver to sleep, it certainly won't do that to the people the class was intended for. By the time drivers gets good enough to "outgrow" the restricted gas sedan class, is the answer to relax restrictions in gas sedan to appease them, or to keep it as an entry level gas class? The initial success of 1/10 sedan was largely related to cost - finally a gas class that would not break the bank. That appeal has since been lost, and it will lose popularity (actually is losing) just like 1/8 is now and 235mm has already.

Spec 1/8 may be an answer for those who want to step up from gas sedan. If it goes the way of 235mm, though, it will quickly lose any relevance, and then participation. There are certain aspects of 1/8 that it sounds like will not change in spec. Same chassis, same bodies, same tires; only the engine gets cheaper and longer lasting. I don't think it's enough. It will be too close to open 1/8 and will go the way of 235mm. I just wish gas sedan had not gotten caught up in this.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mike_Swauger
LOL!!! Ok, I will just be a pitman for this class!
Gee.....after spending $1500 for a fully loaded 1/8th, now we have to spend $250 per 5 minutes for the world champion - Mike Swauger to pit for 1 driver..? How much you charge per refill? what about engine tunning..? Charge per 180 degree lean/rich per high end or low end...?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wad
I like the idea of the off-road engine, but doesn't it have a different crankshaft?
Can we do something to adapt it to our clutch system or we will need to change either the clutch or the crankshaft on those engines?
All of the .21 engines have the SG style crankshaft. It should not be a problem.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
See Carl I already made arrangements with Mike on this one sorry
Sorry Carl!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Can someone share their opinion about the different of running 1/8th and 1/10th touring (200mm, not 235mm)........?
I have run 200m for the last 5 years......and 4 weeks ago got involved in 1/8th...........lets not talk about the ENGINE tunning issue, just talk about car handling, setting, maintainence and the durability of the car.........does ppl find out 1/8th is A LOT easier, faster and more fun then 1/10th TC?

I don't think I can say enough about 1/8th (only eight 5 minutes practice, 2 5 miinutes so-called racing...and MWS tomorrow, I will be sucks big time)...but so far, the car (with eye ball setup, have not buy a setup station yet) is on rail.......21 engine is super fast, I have only driving skill issue (car is too fast) and so different then TC...........but constantly, on TC, I have to setup differently to make it controllable or drivable...........

The only part is good about TC is....most ppl are racing TC here, if I want competition, TC is the only class.....

If we have at least 10 1/8th here and form a class or 2.....my TC will be on EBAy immediately.

Ppl like Mike Sauger, you ran both classes....what do you think the different between 2 classes..? Does your MRX4 handle better then MTX3 (or 4 now..)? Does your MRX4 has more fun then running MTX4?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

There are some great ideas exchange here in this thread. The "spec class" is a really good idea to help people race in this 1/8th scale class without having to drop alot of cash. In addition, when you level the playing field like this driver's ability is plays more of a role and makes this class fast, exciting and very competitive. Would this keep this hobby growing???? Think yes!

Mike may remember in northern california about 20 years ago or less we raced in a mall in Sacramento. We had people three rows deep watching these 1/8th cars. Like the other gentleman said, we answered all questions, showed them our cars, and had the announcer explain what the people were watching. We had new menbers coming into our club because of this expossure.

It would be great to have races at large traffic shopping malls for clubs that have a mobile track. Sure it is not the smoothest surface but once again the expossure makes this hobby grow. You start a 1/8th car up and put it on the track and these cars draw people like ants to honey. It makes the racing fun for everyone. And by the way in regards to surface, I saw on TV the cars race in the streets of San Jose...Wow, they had a rough ride!!!. so we to would just need to adapt.... having people watching the races makes it fun for us and brings in new racers....

There is no cheap hobby other than watching goldfish grow, however the spec class is great idea, and I am sure there are more answers out there... this combined with expossure will keep our hobby healthy..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.