Wiki Posts
Search

NEW Proto-form G6 Body....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Its alright...LOL

I, personally like the "Sedan Proto-typish" look but I can see where guys are comming from with the whole issue. If you are worried about the direction its going in, get a GT class started at your track. Agree on a list of bodies you guys can run & what motor/tires to use and you have a pretty cool class there.
I like it too, don't get me wrong, but I feel that it's going towards a NASCAR-like approach. It's not as authentic as it should be (to me and others). I feel that racings getting boring now. Change it up a little so it'd be a little more authentic.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThePrfctGetaway
Yes, we can see the innovation BlackKat, but vtl1180ny is bringing up a point. In fact, a good one. This is slowly drifting towards how NASCAR is now. In NASCAR Nextel Cup Series, they're running the Charger, Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix (a handful), and Dodge Intrepid. Out of the 4, 3 of those are Front Wheel Drive cars. And last time I checked, NASCAR races Rear Wheel Drive cars. Ever see a RWD Intrepid? I think not. Back to R/C. I think they should allow more bodies to be ROAR legal and manuever and handle like the bodies that are ROAR approved now. But all in all I rate the looks of the new G6 body 9/10. Just looks too bubbled. Unless thats the picture and my vision is declining more than it is now.
Rich it actually has nothing to do with drivetrain.... Nascar bodies whether they be Chevy, Dodge or Ford are all the same body with a different front fascia.... All bodies must fit a template at tech.... Back in the 70's and 80's the big 3 would make changes to their existing car and produce 500 if something didn't work... The 80's fastback Monte and grand Prix SS's were in response to the better airflow the thunderbirds had due to the sloped rear window in relating to the Monte's flat back window... Now every so often you'll see a monte here and there with a sloped window, they had to make 500... Sports car racing has not gone that route and that's one of the things I like about it.... The cars raced are the same cars that you can buy off the showroom floor... Unfortunately us in the RC world are going towards the Nascar mindset, I am a Nascar fan BTW....

If we're going to sedan protytpe route than lets do it.... Take all the look-a-like names off the cars and start calling them something else... It'll save the manufacturers licensing fee's.... Come up with a body template for carpet and one for asphault and let each company make their own front fascia's... Protoform and DaHellion already do this....
Old 08-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
If we're going to sedan protytpe route than lets do it.... Take all the look-a-like names off the cars and start calling them something else... It'll save the manufacturers licensing fee's.... Come up with a body template for carpet and one for asphault and let each company make their own front fascia's... Protoform and DaHellion already do this....
Smart...
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePrfctGetaway
Yes, we can see the innovation BlackKat, but vtl1180ny is bringing up a point. In fact, a good one. This is slowly drifting towards how NASCAR is now. In NASCAR Nextel Cup Series, they're running the Charger, Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix (a handful), and Dodge Intrepid. Out of the 4, 3 of those are Front Wheel Drive cars. And last time I checked, NASCAR races Rear Wheel Drive cars. Ever see a RWD Intrepid? I think not. Back to R/C. I think they should allow more bodies to be ROAR legal and manuever and handle like the bodies that are ROAR approved now. But all in all I rate the looks of the new G6 body 9/10. Just looks too bubbled. Unless thats the picture and my vision is declining more than it is now.
RWD Intrepid? How about a two door Intrepid, or Taurus, or Charger? NASCAR should never be used as an example of how we shold govern our racing because their sanctioning body is as ridiculous as any on earth.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default G6

What does is it matter what it looks like? This body is suppose to help free up cars on high bite carpet. So as long as it helps shave a couple tenths why should we care how it looks. We should just be concerned with how it works on the carpet.

Later,
Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
RWD Intrepid? How about a two door Intrepid, or Taurus, or Charger? NASCAR should never be used as an example of how we shold govern our racing because their sanctioning body is as ridiculous as any on earth.
Is it Nascar or the fact that the big 3 don't make any mid or full size 2 door cars that can be raced in stock car racing these days???
Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If they don't make a car suitable for that class....then they shouldn't run the class....

Either the class rules evolve to follow the market and accept these non-conforming bodies...or they shouldn't be allowed to run...

I'm sure that NASCAR has made ammendments to their rulebooks to allow these cookie cutter bodies in lieu of the realistic bodystyles....

The sanctioning bodies in RC need to either do the same or start enforcing the rules that are already in place.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't bag on Protoform for releasing the G6! They had to in response to all the other legal cheater bodies out there. Is the Parma Alfa true to scale...NO! How about the Ride TSX or Stratus Type II. Yokomo's Stratus Type E, Tamiya's Subaru? None of these cars bear more than a passing resemblance to the real cars.

The Speed 12, Stratus 3.0 and G6 are responses to what the competition is already doing.

Dale Epp made an excellent body rule suggestion to ROAR 2 years ago that would limit how crazy body designs could get. It was a very clear set of dimensions that when followed would yield realistic yet R/C functional bodies.

I suggest ROAR review this set of rules again and scrap the current "Had to run in a sedan class" rules.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Adrian,

Those rules are in the hands of the correct people, they have been adjusted a touch, and passed by other industry leaders in body molding. Hopefully they will stick this upcoming year !
Old 08-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Don't bag on Protoform for releasing the G6! They had to in response to all the other legal cheater bodies out there. Is the Parma Alfa true to scale...NO! How about the Ride TSX or Stratus Type II. Yokomo's Stratus Type E, Tamiya's Subaru? None of these cars bear more than a passing resemblance to the real cars.

The Speed 12, Stratus 3.0 and G6 are responses to what the competition is already doing.

Dale Epp made an excellent body rule suggestion to ROAR 2 years ago that would limit how crazy body designs could get. It was a very clear set of dimensions that when followed would yield realistic yet R/C functional bodies.

I suggest ROAR review this set of rules again and scrap the current "Had to run in a sedan class" rules.
Let's see, unrealistic bodies, like the Mazda 6, Stratus 2.0, Alfa 2.0, MG, Contour/Mondeo. Come on!! I'm not baggin' on Dale for releasing unrealistic bodies, but let's be fair here, HPI and Tamiya are the ONLY companies that have ever released realistic looking TC bodies.

The problem, as Dale has so eloquently stated before, is that the dimensions of our cars don't really equate to perfect 10th scale copies of the real thing, making it really difficult to make the bodies look realistic. It's not just about the evolution of performance, it's about the physical fact that an item that's not to scale isn't going to look like the original artcle.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Adrian,

Those rules are in the hands of the correct people, they have been adjusted a touch, and passed by other industry leaders in body molding. Hopefully they will stick this upcoming year !
From what I heard the dimensions Dale gave weren't adjusted, they were squashed...

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Let's see, unrealistic bodies, like the Mazda 6, Stratus 2.0, Alfa 2.0, MG, Contour/Mondeo. Come on!! I'm not baggin' on Dale for releasing unrealistic bodies, but let's be fair here, HPI and Tamiya are the ONLY companies that have ever released realistic looking TC bodies.

The problem, as Dale has so eloquently stated before, is that the dimensions of our cars don't really equate to perfect 10th scale copies of the real thing, making it really difficult to make the bodies look realistic. It's not just about the evolution of performance, it's about the physical fact that an item that's not to scale isn't going to look like the original artcle.
So lets go with a spec type body that works.... Or lets go with scale bodies that fit our chassis's.... We're somewhere in the middle right now....

I have at least 1 of every body now, I'll be adding at least one G6 and if it works well I'll have more.... I have 5 EP TC's and 2 Nitro TC's, I always need new bodies.... Now if I can only get my 10th and 12th GTP fix I'll be set....
Old 08-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From what I heard the dimensions Dale gave weren't adjusted, they were squashed...
That would be par for the course when dealing with ROAR...lol!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Body dimension guidelines shouldn't be too difficult .... roof height, rear deck height, front end length past front axle, width, greenhouse volume, etc.... Heck, we already check a couple of these anyway. Unless the sanctioning bodies step up with more stringent guidelines, the "body wars" will produce unrealistic shapes that cause one-body races (aka: Parma Alfa on carpet).

I'm all for standardizing these measurements AND letting the body manufacturers mold the rest of the shape to meet their desired performance criteria.

p.s.- G6 on order
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Really, I heard he was ok with the proposal....
Old 08-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I will be releasing my own bodies soon.

one piece of saran wrap

one major car company sticker (authentic one)

shazammm one touring car body...

na. the G6 looks great, just need a place in fla to try it out other than once a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.