Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW Proto-form G6 Body....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Looks like they're available at Tower now. Any report on how they performed at IIC?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think Barry ran one in the Mod Foam A main.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up G6 Bodies at IIC

I just got back from Vegas. What a phenominal event! But that's a whole story in itself.

I was very encouraged with the performance of the new G6 body. I really wasn't expecting too much in light of the problems (5 week late decals etc.) we encountered getting them out to shops and racers. Because of the magnitude and prestige of the International Indoor Champs, most racers obviously want to show up with a set-up and combination that's a "sure thing", and there simply wasn't much time to test.

In spite of the lack of testing time, the PROTOform G6 was the body Peter Robinson used to TQ in Stock-Foam, the largest class there! Andrew Grey also ended up with a podium finish using the G6. Barry Baker used one to get in the show and Walt Henderson just barely missed the A. Eric Anderson was positively "on fire" in the C and pretty much lapped the field with his awsomely painted G6.

It was the first time I actually saw the G6 on a track, so I was able to better get a feel for its future potential. I was able to talk to most of the racers who used it and I came away pretty darn excited. 90% of the comments were very positive. We are addressing the concerns of the other 10% with some minor mold "messaging".

I'd like to say a big thanks to all the guys who did run the body. I hope its at least a sign that there's "no grass growing between our toes" here at PROTOform.

Dale
Old 09-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Default MobileIT's ideas

I got a chuckle out of your ideas of possibly using the Speed World Challenge series "rewards weight" - for rc sedan racing. I know it sounds totally disrespectfull of me to chuckle at your ideas, so I guess I should explain where I find the humour.
The thought of someone at ROAR actually researching out a viable wind tunnel and then taking the time to do all the very complicated and costly things you suggested is so unimaginable, all I can do is chuckle. Hey, ROAR has been a group of guys who for the last 12 years have had serious trouble with things as un-complicated as returning a phone call. (Tim Potter is the exception)

No offence please.

Dale

Last edited by daleepp; 09-27-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Dale, I saw you running around getting shots of your bodies in Vegas. I didn't get a chance to introduce myself though. Were you planning on posting up any of those shots? Barry's car looked awesome.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Jon;

Nuts! Would like to have met. Next time, please give me a tap on the shoulder. (Snowbirds or Cal. Reedy Race?)
Do you think I should post a few photos? I don't want to be accused of shameless promotion.

Dale
Old 09-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

please post them!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Hell yes. Shameless promotion? What do you think we're doing on here. Promoting our sponsors. Go for it. Besides, I'm trying to put together a bunch of pics from the race.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

daleepp,

It wasn't just the G6 body that got those guys their finishes. In most books, the body probably counted for 10% of that. I believe that their driving ability/skill probably got them there more than the body. The racers you mentioned probably could have finished in the same positions with the CTS-V body. Point being that the G6 is a nice looking body, it is not all of that. Like a few others that have posted earlier, a wider variety of bodies should be available to run at these "sanctioned" races. I guess the G6 will be the flavor this time, if it is up to the manufacturer and sponsored drivers running them.

Last edited by JLock; 09-27-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Oh, since the G6 is looking to be the flavor at this time, will Protoform produce one for the 200mm racers? Got to have all of the nitro guys flocking to the latest craze!!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Exclamation Body Shape VS. Performance

JLock: thanks for your technical insight. It all helps. Some day, hopefully, I will get this all figured out.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a 200mm G6. It simply aint gonna happen. You've stated that the body has very little effect on performance - well...hate to say this but: the G6 body shape on a gas car might just challenge your theory.

Dale
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go ahead and make G6 200mm, when I see those bodies on the competition, I can count how many guys will be behind me just from the starting grid. PF Mazda 6 is they way I like to roll with my Nitro TC.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is the G6 comparable to the Ride Accord? Looks kinda similar from the photos.I have one on order, hope to see it arrive this Fri. Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dale post the pics.

And Jlock, while you are correct that most of the finish is skill, at this level of competetion 10% is HUGE. If it were not, the Parma body would not be the ONLY body in the recent past that won every foam TC Race. Not to take anything away from Barry's skill, thats not a question, but he would not have made the main with a caddy... Dale has taken alot of time,effort,money and feedback( some painful) to create a body that works well with the FOAM TC crowd. We could get into a 10 page discussion on what the issues with the current crop of Sedan bodies are, but thats not for this thread.

And just to make something clear, there are ALOT of bodies that are legal for racing, but only a couple that work well for specific instances, thats why you see them all the time.

Originally Posted by daleepp
Jon;

Nuts! Would like to have met. Next time, please give me a tap on the shoulder. (Snowbirds or Cal. Reedy Race?)
Do you think I should post a few photos? I don't want to be accused of shameless promotion.

Dale
Old 09-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

True that, Tim. The 10% is a fictious number I pulled just to make the point. Most racers never see that skill, along with the right set-up and tires play a bigger role in winning than just the body shell that is on top of it. When I started racing onroad r/c back in 1999, it was the Protoform Honda Accord that was the flavor of the time. Then, it was the Volvo S 60. Then came the first Stratus, then the first Alfa Romeo, the Stratus 2/2.1, the Alfa 2/2.1 and Parma version Alfa, the Mazda 6, and now the Stratus 3/3.1. Yes, there are other bodies out there but there are others that do work just as well as the "only" ones that most racers tend to use. It is unfortunate that many of those bodies have been discontinued. The point being is that many of us racers are bandwagon fans that jump on the first thing the "big boy racers" use to win, regardless of whether or not it fits our driving skills/abilities or circumstances. Many of us want more of a variety of legal bodies to run, other then the limited few that are produced or listed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.