Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AE Qualifiere APEX Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default AE Qualifiere APEX Shocks

My nephew got Team Associated Qualifier APEX 1/10 RTR, and i am thinking of upgrading it for him to practice, as its his first on road car.

I want to change the spacer adjusted shocks to threaded shocks, I tried Yeah Racing 55mm but they are short for this car. the original shocks are 60mm long. any idea where i can get those?

Also the steering links are fixed, and need to change them to turnbuckles.

Any opinion what wight diff fluid to use? as it comes with sealed diffs. more ideas are welcome : ) to get his car more stable on our low traction track. Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For fifty bucks you can put some nice shocks on it. Twenty more and you should be able to find some turnbuckles to put on there, but by then you are most of the way to a base level Spec-R R1 or Sakura XI. which could be had for $120. Used high end touring cars can be had for not much more. I say put some laps on it like it is and look for a used car that is on a higher level entirely.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Spec r shocks should fit fine. They blue even.
If they don't quite fit just change the rod end and related hardware.
I doubt there would be a problem though and for $22 they are very good shocks.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's a great idea. Also sometimes racers change to titanium hardware. They will have old steel turnbuckles sitting around. See if a good soul will give you their old turnbuckles. You will still need rod ends. They are cheap.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

The AE APEX is nothing more then a rebadged Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk DX & VX, you can also look there for option parts.

But I agree with snoopyrc, not worth investing $$ into it when you can get a XI SPORT for under $120
Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i was kind of expecting the specr stuff to be cheapy cheap but im very nicely surprised with it. and id easily recommend most of it over a 3racing kit. they make some little tuning stuffs like shims and turnbuckles i have no problem buying but overall, im very happy with my specr stuff.

For under $50 you could get a full set of plastic bodied shocks and all the spec r branded shock springs for tuning.
for Another $20 you can get a full set of titanium turnbuckles made by 3racing and tamiya ballcups which work just fine. they dont quite fit the AE balls in my experience but you can get a full set of spec r balls for like $4 lol..

you CAN get an S1/2 but you arent really getting any better than what you have save a few more adjustment features. you still dont get any "hopups" with the s1/2. just a different plastic car.

make this car adjustable. if its anything like the tc4 that im sure its based on, it should keep your son happy until he is ready to get into something more serious.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by valk
... if its anything like the tc4 that im sure its based on, it should keep your son happy until he is ready to get into something more serious.
Its not based on the TC4 and besides being shaft drive has nothing in common with one, its a rebadged TT Sparrowhawk.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OnePixel
My nephew got Team Associated Qualifier APEX 1/10 RTR, and i am thinking of upgrading it for him to practice, as its his first on road car.

I want to change the spacer adjusted shocks to threaded shocks, I tried Yeah Racing 55mm but they are short for this car. the original shocks are 60mm long. any idea where i can get those?

Also the steering links are fixed, and need to change them to turnbuckles.

Any opinion what wight diff fluid to use? as it comes with sealed diffs. more ideas are welcome : ) to get his car more stable on our low traction track. Thanks
Here are some ideas
Shocks: fill the shocks with 30wt oil, silver #3942 AE springs in the front and AE green #3941 in the rear, set ride height to 5mm with the preload spacers, dont worry about threaded shock bodies as you will set this once and never change it.
Turnbuckles: get AE #7160 ball cups and ... here is where you will need to measure and calculate the lenghts you need, AE has steel turnbuckles in many sizes : #6260-6264, 7251 7251, there are more but you need to measure out what you need first.
Diffs: rear 1K front 100k should get you going in the right direction.

good luck and have fun
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Here are some ideas
Shocks: fill the shocks with 30wt oil, silver #3942 AE springs in the front and AE green #3941 in the rear, set ride height to 5mm with the preload spacers, dont worry about threaded shock bodies as you will set this once and never change it.
Turnbuckles: get AE #7160 ball cups and ... here is where you will need to measure and calculate the lenghts you need, AE has steel turnbuckles in many sizes : #6260-6264, 7251 7251, there are more but you need to measure out what you need first.
Diffs: rear 1K front 100k should get you going in the right direction.

good luck and have fun

Thanks guys for the help, we used the AE springs and turnbuckles as moparSRT said... will test it today and see what we got, if everything fine will keep it for a while. then go with snoopyrc idea to get him Sakura or Spec-R and use the electronics from the Apex. Thanks again...