Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR removed Trinity Epic D3.5 13.5 and 17.5 from ROAR motor list

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Bring back Modified as the "premier" class and never worry about this issue again
Only Racers can do that...so far they are not.

Whatever the reasons are, racers has decided with their participation.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Only Racers can do that...so far they are not.

Whatever the reasons are, racers has decided with their participation.
It's because its a more even and fair playing field than it would have been if not for roar. I mean we all run 17.5 we all run 2s lips we all run a certain width and length and height. We all run a certain weight and in blinky mode. These are some of the things that make it a more "level playing field".
Old 04-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't those same rules apply to the mod class?

I know mod TC is SUPER fast and tough for the average guy. But with anything practice will help. Perhaps it's time to look at the cars/platform and figure out how to make the cars easier to drive at speed. Wider/bigger tires? Heavier chassis? Wider chassis?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

I know mod TC is SUPER fast and tough for the average guy. But with anything practice will help. Perhaps it's time to look at the cars/platform and figure out how to make the cars easier to drive at speed. Wider/bigger tires? Heavier chassis? Wider chassis?
They had that with foam tires
Racers voted on rubber
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Foams were no good. They had great traction but wore way to fast for indoor racing. With a hot motor and high bite track you could go through a couple sets a day to mantain the same roll-out and suspension characterstics.

I am wondering why everyone is so upset. I get that the 13.5 kinda came out left field, but as far as the 17.5, if no one can run them, then everyone is in the same boat. As far as peopke now having paper weights, there are a ton of tracks out there that dont care, so sell your motors to the people that run at those tracks, and buy some faster, legal paperweights.

I know motor makes a difference in stock classes, but for me that is less than 5% of the equation.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
It's because its a more even and fair playing field than it would have been if not for roar. I mean we all run 17.5 we all run 2s lips we all run a certain width and length and height. We all run a certain weight and in blinky mode. These are some of the things that make it a more "level playing field".
You bring up a point that in a lot of ways, we, as racers, keep fooling ourselves. There will never be an even/fair/level playing field because of this thing called "human nature". When we race, each one of us always wants to be better than the competition because we want to win. In doing that, we will always seek out ways to push the envelope of the rules to that very edge to have an advantage over the rest of the competition. Some will go over that edge into illegality if it means not getting caught and getting that win. So, no matter how much we fool ourselves or how much an organization (ROAR, IFMAR, etc) tries to level the playing field for all the competitors, said competitors will never keep it level because they want to win and will do whatever it takes within the rules (for those that follow them) to get that win.

Last edited by JLock; 04-02-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Grammer and spelling
Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A little surprised that Australia sticks to ROAR rules... doesn't Australia actually belong to FEMCA?

Comparing this with our rules here** (well 2013 rules, 2014 have not been published yet - at least not on the net*)...

A list of just 3 legal motors in 10.5T
A list of just 4 legal motors in 13.5T
no list for 17.5T, just measurements, for can, rotor, wire, etc.

Really curios what the 2014 rules will be here...

EDIT:
* just saw they were published today. The lists got a little longer.
** = DMC rules (in Germany)

Last edited by DirkW; 04-02-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Clarification/Correction
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
You bring up a point that in a lot of way, we, as racers, keep fooling ourselves. There will never be an even/fair/level playing field because of this thing called "human nature". When we race, each one of us always wants to be better than the competition because we want to win. In doing that, we will always seek out ways to push the envelope of the rules to that very edge to have an advantage over the rest of the competition. Some will go over that edge into illegality if it means not getting caught and getting that win. So, not how much we fool ourselves or how much an organization (ROAR, IFMAR, etc) try to level the field for all the competitors, said competitors will never keep it level because they want to win and will do whatever it takes within the rules (for those that follow them) to be the best.
True but what I mean by that is that no one is running a 3 cell battery, or a 13.5 motor or something like that. While the rest of us are running 2cell and 17.5
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Can anyone tell me if the D3.5 13.5 is still legal??????

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
Can anyone tell me if the D3.5 13.5 is still legal??????

I guess not since it is not on any ROAR approved list. Which was a surprise.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm not an on road guy and definitely not a spec class guy..I'll let another mod decide how long this pointless debate goes on.

don't make me come back here.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thecaptain
I agree, there needs to be conformity, its easy to check the cars weight, hieght width ect but IMO motor classes are in themselves the cause of a problem. The power of a 17.5 blinky is limited, having a motor that spins a little faster or gives a little more torque than another will always give an advantage, as to are speedo's that blink when they shouldn't (I'm not saying thay has ever happened). With open modified there is generally more power than you can use. Modified motors run cooler, gearing is less important, speedo setting less critical so cheating becomes pointless.

So is modified too fast? Lap times are not significantly faster than 17.5, the car will only go as fast as you push the lever and the truth is that fast guys are fast guys regardless of the class of motor they run.

Bb
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Perhaps but, Manufacturers build it, we decide if we like it, then run it. Believe it or not, the ball is currently not in our court.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer1812
I'm not an on road guy and definitely not a spec class guy..I'll let another mod decide how long this pointless debate goes on.

don't make me come back here.
I'm sorry, but what is the issue with discussing a current, relevant topic in pretty civilized manner? It may have strayed a little off topic at moments. Is that the reason for threatening to close the whole thread? I'm really confused by your comment

ROAR said the d3.5 17.5 motor wouldn't be legal in April. They did not mention the 13.5. The 13.5 wasn't banned back when the 17.5 motor was banned, yet it suddenly was removed along with the 17.5. It seems to me like a pretty valid reason for discussion. What's the problem? Perhaps if you explain the issue, everyone could avoid the behavior that prompted your comment on this.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

ROAR has chosen not to use rctech as an outlet for information, it's always second hand, this question really should be addressed in their forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.