Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Motor issue (mount or graphite chassis?) >

Motor issue (mount or graphite chassis?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor issue (mount or graphite chassis?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor issue (mount or graphite chassis?)

Anyone ever come across an issue with either an alloy motor mount or graphite chassis causing a brushless motor to stop functioning.

Car in question is a VBC Racing Wildfire D06 touring car chassis. Motor is a Speed Passion Competition 3.0 10.5R.

The motor when not mounted in the chassis spins up fine in both directions. Mounted it will no longer turn (just clicks in both directions). Its not the motor mount screws, i've backed them out and also removed them completely just holding the motor in place. Move the motor away from the chassis and it functions perfectly again.

Can the alloy mount become magnetised and cause it ? This is the first carbon chassis i've worked with, something there causing it ?

Any advice to solve this will be much appreciated.

Thanks Richard
Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RichB Bkk
Anyone ever come across an issue with either an alloy motor mount or graphite chassis causing a brushless motor to stop functioning.

Car in question is a VBC Racing Wildfire D06 touring car chassis. Motor is a Speed Passion Competition 3.0 10.5R.

The motor when not mounted in the chassis spins up fine in both directions. Mounted it will no longer turn (just clicks in both directions). Its not the motor mount screws, i've backed them out and also removed them completely just holding the motor in place. Move the motor away from the chassis and it functions perfectly again.

Can the alloy mount become magnetised and cause it ? This is the first carbon chassis i've worked with, something there causing it ?

Any advice to solve this will be much appreciated.

Thanks Richard
sounds like something isnt plugged in correctly, or your motor is bad. When you soltered the motor are the tabs or the solter on the tabs touching, it also could not hurt to resolter them and make sure your connections are all solid. When you tested the motor off of the chassis, did you unsolter it or just take the screws off and hold it?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by thecaptain
sounds like something isnt plugged in correctly, or your motor is bad. When you soltered the motor are the tabs or the solter on the tabs touching, it also could not hurt to resolter them and make sure your connections are all solid. When you tested the motor off of the chassis, did you unsolter it or just take the screws off and hold it?
Motor has been running fine in a 1/12 oval car and is still soldered to the same ESC. Definitely not caused by bad solder.

Yep tested away from the chassis held in my hand and not unsoldered.

Thanks for the reply anyway.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Aluminum is not magnetic, so that's impossible. Carbon is conductive, but only when in contact with the source of the power. What it sounds like is your motor is soldered backwards. Make sure that the A terminal from the esc goes to the A terminal on the motor. If you mix up A and C the motor will just click and jiggle like you stated. I had a similar issue with one of my motors. It's just harder to see the problem when it's off the car, it still clicks.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mschumi101
Aluminum is not magnetic, so that's impossible. Carbon is conductive, but only when in contact with the source of the power. What it sounds like is your motor is soldered backwards. Make sure that the A terminal from the esc goes to the A terminal on the motor. If you mix up A and C the motor will just click and jiggle like you stated. I had a similar issue with one of my motors. It's just harder to see the problem when it's off the car, it still clicks.
ESC wires are colour coded to the coloured A B C motor terminals and its been used in a 1/12 oval car (plastic motor mount and GRP chassis in that) and hasn't been de soldered so its definitely wired correctly.

It spins up fine away from the chassis and then, holding the motor by hand, as its moved into position it cuts out.

Am just trying electrical tape placed into the chassis recess where the motor sits to see if that solves it. Does seem like its conducting somehow.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Be careful to not use screws that are too long for mounting the motor. If the screws are too long they will short the stator and not allow the motor to work. Try shorter screws.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by samsking
Be careful to not use screws that are too long for mounting the motor. If the screws are too long they will short the stator and not allow the motor to work. Try shorter screws.
Yep tried that too, even removed the screws completely and just held the motor in place. Off the chassis works fine, put it in place and it stops.

Update-

Have just laid a thin piece of rubber on the chassis where the motor sits, held the motor in place again and it now runs fine. The graphite chassis is affecting it, not sure how but it is.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The chassis is conductive, make sure that the motor and the leads do not touch the chassis. Also check to be sure your leads are not cut or have any chafing / wear that could be causing a short circuit.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Maybe take apart the motor and check that there is nothing stuck in any vent holes or the stator. If say a body clip was picked up and is lodged in the stator, and then touches the can, it could put a current through the can, which would then be affected by the carbon chassis. So take it apart and ensure there is no junk stuck in it and that none of the stator wires are loose and also touching the can.
It sounds to me that something is wrong in the motor and creating an open circuit when it comes in contact with a conductor (I.e carbon fiber).
Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Other possible issue could be the sensor wire, if it has one. If one of the leads is intermittent or touching the chassis, it could cause the issue you are describing.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

problem with the sensor lead?

edit, beat me too it
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can the car wheels spin freely without motor geared up?
If they can't, there must be issue with your chassis build.
Test with another motor, or replace esc.
If esc is faulty, it may cause the situation like this as well.