Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daytona Prototype Class Rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default Daytona Prototype Class Rules

There seems to be a very wide variety of RC road racing classes and body styles being used in the U.S., almost to the point of total confusion. Since the Daytona Prototype class is one of the most visible and competitive forms of full scale road racing in the U.S., it seems there should be a national class established for RC racing. Here is a basic guide line for such a class. I think keeping the rules simple and straight forward is the best approach.

Batteries- 2 cell, 7.4V

Motors- 17.5 Brushless (I would even suggest a single specific motor for local racing)

ESC- Non advanced timing speed controls (Blinky)

Tires- Any rubber tires

Chassis- Any 4WD Touring Car Chassis, 200mm max width.

Bodies- Daytona Prototype bodies current within 3 years .

At this time there are three bodies available...
Corvette DP, Riley DP and MXP-DP (early Riley)
Attached Thumbnails Daytona Prototype Class Rules-289-19-corvette-dp-copy.jpg   Daytona Prototype Class Rules-297-2-riley-dp.jpg   Daytona Prototype Class Rules-255-51-mx-p-dp.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i like the idea of 17.5 blinky. gives the cars more hp than vta and usgt.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, In my opinion there would not be much interest in a Daytona Prototype car
as the body available is totally ugly in the rear spoiler section. Until there is a decent body out there people will not buy what is available now. Regards
Norman2
Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

I like the idea of a DTP class but I feel it belongs more on a pan car chassis. If WGT and DTP were to swap chassis types it would be a more natural fit.

DTP is a natural fit for RC because the real cars all have standardized measurements. Wheelbase, width, and height all are the same no matter the brand of car making it much easier for body manufacturers to fit to our chassis. No more distorted looking Lotus or NSX type bodies.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think until a LeMans type class is ran with success and growing it will be hard to start yet another spec class. I like the idea and love American sports car racing but it has an uphill battle. Just run that body in USGT.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Corvette DP is a very good looking car!
Attached Thumbnails Daytona Prototype Class Rules-p1020648.jpg   Daytona Prototype Class Rules-p1020661.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If you are in the Chicago area there is a special one-off race coming up in November that will have DP as a class. It has a thread here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...r-hobbies.html. Pretty much 17.5 blinky with the DP body, as stated above. Looks like it will be a cool, unique race.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

FlyingM, what is your real name? I think we've met but I can't place it...
Old 03-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I think these bodies need to be required to be ran at any vta or usgt national event....
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Are there any other manufacturers that make this style of body, or am I taking the original post(er) the wrong way?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have not seen any other datona prototype bodies anywhere. seems like a conspiracy. hmmm. lol.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

flying m is Gary McAllister from McAllister Racing

as far as if anyone else is making the bodies - nothing is stopping anyone from making them...but really who cares - there are 3 bodies and those w/ interest have some cool bodies for a different class...which is enough to get something started.

Build the class - others may make bodies -
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Thisbwould work better on a pan car chassis like wgt. There are to many rubber tire classes already!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flyingm
There seems to be a very wide variety of RC road racing classes and body styles being used in the U.S., almost to the point of total confusion. Since the Daytona Prototype class is one of the most visible and competitive forms of full scale road racing in the U.S., it seems there should be a national class established for RC racing. Here is a basic guide line for such a class. I think keeping the rules simple and straight forward is the best approach.

Batteries- 2 cell, 7.4V

Motors- 17.5 Brushless (I would even suggest a single specific motor for local racing)

ESC- Non advanced timing speed controls (Blinky)

Tires- Any rubber tires

Chassis- Any 4WD Touring Car Chassis, 200mm max width.

Bodies- Daytona Prototype bodies current within 3 years .

At this time there are three bodies available...
Corvette DP, Riley DP and MXP-DP (early Riley)
M,

Make the DP bodies a 275 - 280 mm wheelbase and it would be perfect for the LM-1 chassis. A 10th scale DP would be 199.39 mm Wide x 279.4 mm wheelbase. The SP LM-1 is 200 mm x 280 mm. The class is starving for more options.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Hey- Thanks for all the feedback and opinions.

The reason we make the Daytona Prototype bodies is because I feel RC road racing should reflect the top level of Road Racing in the U.S. Just my opinion of course, and keep in mind these rules are just suggestions if you are interested in this style of racing. There is no big organization involved, just trying to promote a certain style of road racing.

As for Pan Cars vs Touring cars....I've raced Pan Cars longer than most of you have probably been alive, so I love Pan Cars such as World GT, but obviously the Touring cars are much more prolific and you can't argue with the suspension technology of today's Touring cars. So, our DP bodies are oriented to the Touring car chassis, but you probably won't have a problem fitting our MX-P DP body to a World GT chassis.

If you are not interested in the Daytona Prototypes, just pass by this thread, please. If you do follow full size road racing in the U.S. and would like to have that style of racing for RC, this is the place to post your thoughts.

One extra note. We will have detail decals available for our DP bodies soon.

Thanks
Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.