Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Stupid question

Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Just want to ask, when would you know when to replace brushes? Is it when the serration are gone from the brush? How many runs would you do before its due for replacement?

And i heard diff diameter of the commutator makes a diffrence? In this case will the monster go quicker when you cut the comm down to a certain diameter?

SOrry for the ignorance.

-Luie
20-30 runs is quite alot imo...i rebuild my motors every 5-7 runs depending on performance...sometimes after 2 or 3 runs...theres better brushes out there then 767's especially for the Monster stock...try a Putnam green on the Pos. and Putnam blue on the Neg. ...or try Hurricanse golds....both blow the 767's away as far as performance
Old 05-04-2004, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default motor spring

To all motor guru's out there, I notice with most stock motor
builders they use hard spring's on the neg side of the motor
I have a few motor's from different builders and the neg side is much harder than the pos side, what I notice is in the first min
of the race the motor will be fast but from that point on the motor
get soft, and to the end of the race it get worst, what I think is that the spring is too hard so it put a drag on the armuture and that will slow the motor down when it get hotter, on the dyno
the motor looks good but in a race it not as good, can any motor
guru give me a good setup for a stock motor with spring for a short tight track.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Fatdoggy

Originally posted by David Root
767 and 729 are the same Quasar compound. One is lay down and one is stand up. That is why you are getting the same performance.

I have the best of luck with the 767 on both sides of all motors. After the serations wear off, I drill a 5/32 hole in the center of the brush. It keeps the brush face clean with no arcing or burnt marks on the brush. Try it, no jig needed, just hold the brush in your hand, make sure you hit the center and drill with your hand. I have a small Pin vice (drill bit holder) and I just turn the bit with my fingers.

Try it and see how clean your brushes stay.
No see that's the thing, I'm getting completely different performance with the stand-ups. If you've ever run a stock mvp with full face 766 brushes you know what I mean. SLOW! Now with the 729/766 in with the stand-ups hoods, 36 degrees timing and a p2k/p2k2 arm, and bearings it flies(torque as well as top-end). There is no burning/pitting or discolouration on the brushes (stand-up 729/766), with laydowns in the mvp I ALWAYS had some burning no matter what the brush and it lacked top end.

I'll drop a laydown endbell with 767's on it this weekend and run it back to back too with stand-up 729/766's to see if it really is the stand-ups that made the difference or the higher timing.

I'll give the 5/32 hole a shot after a few runs and see how it goes.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 05-04-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi!

I bet everyone wants that stock motor perfoms well, with little tuning or not tuned at all.

Just read forum at following link, maybe then you have more to think about stock motors.
http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=19

Just my 0,02 cents
Old 05-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Stupid question

Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
20-30 runs is quite alot imo...i rebuild my motors every 5-7 runs depending on performance...sometimes after 2 or 3 runs...theres better brushes out there then 767's especially for the Monster stock...try a Putnam green on the Pos. and Putnam blue on the Neg. ...or try Hurricanse golds....both blow the 767's away as far as performance
I cut my comm after about 7-10 runs though...this is running indoor carpet though
Old 05-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A stiffer spring should always be used on the posative (+) side. It makes the motor more efficient. It the negative is harder, then it will be less efficient and have more amp draw and will make you "get soft" before you finish....your race.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

if you have a trinity monster, use the red and green springs on it to give it more power. use the red on pos. green on neg. if you want more torque, like in a truck, use both red springs. if you run it in a buggy, use green springs on both sides, for more rpm.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

purple springs is all u need
Old 05-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by mafiaracers
A stiffer spring should always be used on the posative (+) side. It makes the motor more efficient. It the negative is harder, then it will be less efficient and have more amp draw and will make you "get soft" before you finish....your race.
No wonder I wasn't satisfied....I did really well and she couldn't keep up with me til I got soft and dropped like a rock....LOL

I was running a green spring on both positive and negative.....Was out motoring the field until it "got soft" causing me to turn too soon, resulting in a turtle predicament
Old 05-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Stupid question

Ok do putnam have a website i dont know where to get them in australia. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default www.putnampropulsion.com

No one sells them in Australia try rc4less or stormer hobbies
Old 05-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

there are putnam products on the http://www.metrohobby.com.au/home.php
Old 05-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

can someone recommend me some 64 pitch gear combos on a tc3 with a monster stock. My track is medium sized but i would like to have a setup for small,medium and large
Old 05-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

purple springs is all u need

Just want to ask if this purple and lavander colored spring have the same hardness/tension.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

A good buy for those who want to make sure they are using the right the tension is the sonic fiddlestick. You can accurately measure your spring tension that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.