Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Cool, thanks....

Speaking of the CORE stock I was considering one for the tight 12th scale track I race at.....how are they outa the bag quality wise ? I've had crappy luck with the last 2 Trinity "pro tuned" stocks I've purchased...both needed a ton of work just to run halfway decent Matter of fact the comm on the last P2K had been factory cut to just under .280 !!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The Monster stock doesnt have ANY torque.Period.lol.
This motor was designed for RPM basis.
Built for 1/12th scale and onroad on BIG tracks.
Some guys have decided to run them in Offroad on Big tracks.They think they are going fast due to the straight.Then getting SMOKED in the infield.
The Orion Core's have 10x's the quality in magnets and have more torque but less RPM.
If you guys need core's and do your own tuning I have about 35 left from a hand out race.Never tuned or touched.You add your brushes and springs.Just like the Motor builders buy them OEM wise.$16.00 each plus shipping.I run 767's in most of mine.I havent had luck with Putnam greens in TOP based motors.Greens work awesome in Epic based motors though.
For club racing you can run a 766 on one side and a 767 on the other or in offroad try 766's on both to last longer between rebuilds.Nice motor's with good quality case wise.
Meaning the consistancy in a case of 100 is VERY nice compared to the old days.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

texracer ...ygm
Old 10-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

TexRacer: When tuned properly, a Monster stock can be geared like a P2K. I run a Monster stock in my TC with a 1.14-1.24" rollout on a tight carpet track. Run high silver brushes and purple springs if you want the Monster stock to have strong torque. It can snap off the corners as hard as any stock motor ever made.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

anyone here tryed the fantom p2k2? whats your opinion
on it?

thanks
Old 10-30-2003, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

hey guys,

i just got my first stock motor(trinity monster stock pro) and i tested it on a friends dyno and its reving pretty hard.

i was just woundering after how many runs should you change the brushes? cause this weekend i have a nationals meet and i thought i should have a spare set but dont know how many i should have. and how often do you change the springs?

thanks in advance, Matt
Old 10-30-2003, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Shiloh Im sorry I dont care HOW low you gear it there is NO WAY it will come out like a P2k.I have MANY years on motor's and had a motor company for 3 yrs before breaking my back in motocross and shutting it down.You can make them do OK but then you KILL the comm with heavy springs to get it and the motor overheats and fails at 4minutes.Why in the WORLD would you wanna do this to a motor that is PLAIN AND SIMPLY NOT DESIGNED for it.
Why do you think guys on tight tracks use P2k's,P2K2's and gear regular with the right springs.It's due to NOT overheating and killing the motor 4 minutes in or running HEAVY Springs and wearing out the motor prematurely.That motor is designed for a purpose as P2k's were.Now that you have a CHOICE why in the world make the motor uneffic with the springs,wear it out so fast and have it slow towards the end due to heat?Not very smart.
Fantom's Tuned motor's are quite nice.They have 3 different versions.The Race,Team and Limited.If you can get your hands on a limited version Fantom your doing great.
P.S.Monster Motor's are NICE motor's for the RIGHT application.But why force a motor to due what it's NOT designed to do and only cause PROBLEMS trying.Not smart
Old 10-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default STOCK motor forum

Guys;

Trinity "purple" springs are just way too stiff for a Stock Motor. Performance will suffer. Save the purple springs for a 19T or Mod.

There is also NO WAY a Monster Stock is going to behave like a P2K2, no matter how you tune it.
If you are looking for a little more torque in a TC, use Red/Red springs and the highest Silver content Brushes you can find. (Putnam's) All of the EPIC based motors really work well with these brushes.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yes the Putnam brushes work GREAT in Epic or Trinity based motor's.But again your trying to gear a motor to due something it wasnt even truly designed for.
Not trying to start anything here mainly trying to help with some fun added.
Goodluck racing Shiloh.

Matt-What Brushes are you going to replace them with?What type of racing is it?
Depending on the content of the brush I actually will cut the motor and use the same brush up to 3 cuts.Depending on the brush that could be every 2nd run or 4th run depending on the brush being used.This is for Big Events.Just Skim the com and run the motor at low load for 30 seconds.
Les
Old 10-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

I have tuned quite a few stock motors. What I have seen on the dyno and on the track is that heavy spring (purples or red/purple) and a big pinion seem to be the ticket in touring cars on carpet tracks. I've seen this with basically every Epic motor I have tuned, including the P2K2 and the Monster stock. On the Robi, I focus on the 30-45 AMP numbers and then toss a dinner plate sized pinion on my motors. My car is a rocket when set up like this, and the motor is coming off the track warm but not hot. I can hold my finger on the motor for over 20 seconds without a hint of pain, so it is definitely not overheating.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Is there a site with pics of this track?Whats the measurements.
I will put it like this.Your stuffing a 4cyl in a 3/4 ton truck and putting gears in the rear end to make it pull 5000Lbs.
Does that help any?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thats an excellent description of what hes doing.Tex,some people cant be convinced.I guess thousands of Stock racers are wrong.....
Old 10-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default STOCK motor forum

Guys;

Out of all the different motors that I've tried, the MS has been the best. On the Dyno and on the Track they have out performed everything else.

Shiloh;

I also have done testing on my Robitronic Dyno and found that the "purple" springs cause a SEVERE loss of performance across the board. Especially in Monster Stocks.

Red/Green springs works best in the lower rpm Motors like a P2K, P2K2 and a Red/Red works best in High rpm Motors like the GM3, MS.
Take a look at what the 3rd party tuners are using for Springs in their EPIC Motors (bet it's NOT purple).
Old 10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

The MS is a NICE motor but again.On a short small tight track it's NOT the best motor.Not even Close.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Soooo, on a short tight track, everybody seems to be running a p2k2s or MVPs with high silver brushes and red/red or red/greens right?

Link to track pictures http://www.tntrctrack.com/

It's about 165' long with ~10-11 second TC laps.

Shiloh, if your the Shiloh at TNT, I'm Ian. I ran a new, tweeked, monster pro with Purple/red and 4503s last week. My xray was soggy off of the corners with a .78-.8 inch rollout and a 1.77 tranny ratio. (~2.4" tires, 128/25 spur pinion) I was either good on acceleration or fast on the back straight, but not both. My driving lines are good, with only one or two real driving errors and a handful of missed lines for the main. The car turned in well, rotated fast but predictably with little side slip and was clean exiting corners. I was down on motor torque. Kinda sucked qualifing 3rd and finishing 6th. Seamed like everybody else put a 19t in there car but me. Oh well. Two weeks, I'll try something different.

Shiloh, You seam to run a much bigger pinion, am I missing the power band of the motor? Since we might be using a different formula for rollout, can you give me your tire dia, spur, tranny ratio, and pinion?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.