Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default stock quandry

i recently got a banzai p2k2, i heard from the guy i got it from that it provided excellent rip and torque. so what i did was i borrowed my friend's dyno. i was shocked to discover that the banzai p2k2 produced only around 26,000 rpms, whereas my p2k crunched out more than 30,000 rpms. i then tested the efficiency of the motor and still found the p2k produced better numbers.

I then experimented with brush and spring set-ups, but no matter what i did the banzai p2k2 could never produce the numbers the p2k could. by the way i also have a p2k2 pro, p2k2 and mvp stock, it seems the mvp (not the dyno one) produces better numbers, e.g. 34,000 rpm.

any info on the matter? tanx
Old 06-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

There is more to motors then RPM, the most important things are power and torque.

How do the motors compare on the dyno in terms of power and torque.

I have a couple of motors with sticker numbers which are relatively low by comparison to others but the motors still run very nicely if you gear it properly.

Also depends a lot on your track, it it's tight and twisty you want something with lots of power and RPm's aren't very important.

Tony
Old 06-09-2003, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

by definition power = torque x rpm

(its actually power = torque x angular speed but i have simplified it)

so the number to look for is power. If you have a motor which has lots of torque then it needs gearing longer and a high revving motor requires shorter gearing.

sanj
Old 06-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

evaa what DYNO did u measure it on?
dose it only give rpm readouts?
another point to factor in the older the motor is the more rpm it produces this is due to weaker magnets or smaller comm
Old 06-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Motor Dyno numbers

Guys;

Generally, You want to pick Motors with the Highest Power #'s. Torque will usually follow the Power, up or down. Proper tuning can help, but there is only so much you can do to a Stock Motor
and keep within the rules.
As for finding that "Magic" Motor, it's all luck of the draw unless you have several dozen to Dyno and pick and choose the best. (now who might be able to do this?)

Just my .020
Old 06-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if the motor that didnt dyno so well seems to be producing better performance on the track then chances are it is producing its power more in the usable amp draw range for your type of racing, as opposed to the other motors you have dynoed which produced better numbers but there power may be in an amp draw range those motors may never see in the type of racing you are using them for. just something to keep in mind.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm running a sedan at the KO Race at SoCal. The hand-out motor is rumored to be an Orion Core. Anyone have any set-up suggestions for this motor, such as brushes, springs, gearing (Losi XXX)? Looks like from most of the comments in the last five pages that this motor has a powerband similar to a P2K. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have never had good luck with it, but i'll let you know what its like. It is kinda like a p2k2, but gets hot like an MVP. I've heard from some of the guys on my team that use them that red +/green - springs work well with Axiom 1202/Reedy 767 brushes. For gearing i would gear two teeth up (64p) from a monster stock. It'll run hot no matter what you do so its hard to find the right gear, but the playing field is level so you all have that problem.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

that motor runs hot-so hot you might be thinking that youll fry it. a lot of us run them off road in our truck and buggys at socal. i was worried about how hot it got but someone told me that as long as the hood and brushes were not discolored your ok-sorry i cant give any info on gearing but it a great motor, we also use reedy 767 (great power) and trinity 4500 brushes (havent tried these yet), with the stock springs.

i think the peak hellfire is the same motor also.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

its a better offroad motor than sedan isn't it?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

hey
i was wondering if it was possible to put the Armature from a monstor stock into an core stock can (TOP can)
Old 06-11-2003, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

yes you can. the armature should fit although the shimming may need adjusting.

sanj
Old 06-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

if you put another brand of arm in a can-say a monster hp in a core like stated above is it still legal to race with?
Old 06-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

No it's not legal for racing. But I guess that really depends on the club. Some clubs are more relaxed then others but then you have uneven competition or spend a lot of cash trying every combination.

At big events it will be illegal.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default STOCK motor forum

According to any and all Stock class rules, switching/mixing of parts from another type or manufacturer are Illegal.

A P2k2 Arm in a Monster Stock is illegal, etc, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.