STOCK motor forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

are SMH cells the stock metal hydride panasonics from trinity or is SMH a brand?
Old 11-12-2001, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

SMH refers to the Panasonic Cells. You might be mixing them up with the battery matching company SMC.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Yup, that 's where I found out about 4499s and comm drops. The 4499s have more graphite in them than other brushes, which acts as a lube anyway.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

what is the proper way to use comm drops or prolong? are 767's compatible w/ the drops?
Old 11-12-2001, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Speedo
I didn't go for the non-pro because I dyno'ed one, and it wasn't very good. So I though I might as well wait When I get it, I'll check the hoods for alignment, maybe true the comm, and then chuck in on the dyno, and play around with springs. The 4499s should produce good power on it, and I wouldn't use comm drops with them. Also have a few other tricks I'll try
Speedo, just curious, If you buy the pro version but still disassemble it and check hood alignment cut the comm play with the srings aren't you just better off buying the regular motor since you'd be doing all the things that supposedly a pro version goes through.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Speedo, or anyone who might know, using a Robi dyno do you change the voltage when dynoing a motor for 4 cell (12th scale). If so what do I change it to?
Old 11-12-2001, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by stormperson
can anyone suggest a good motor set up for a p2k2 (preferably) or GM3 in a 12th scale 4 cell stock car. the track has a mix of everyhing, a few long sweepers a few 180's and a long straight.

i used a gm3 pro however it got very bogged down in the 180's.

i liked my p2k2 with reedy 766 brushes and green/blue springs (the stiffer on the pos side) however i was still behind in some area's. i am running SMH's and the new HV's.

also i heard that lightspeed motors were very fast, as fast as a fantom? also where can i get them?
Lightspeed is down the street from me. I use thier motors and batteries.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by minicooper

Speedo, just curious, If you buy the pro version but still disassemble it and check hood alignment cut the comm play with the srings aren't you just better off buying the regular motor since you'd be doing all the things that supposedly a pro version goes through.

I used a Pro version of the GM3 and it was slightly slower than I was used to. I had to change out the brushes to make it faster and break in the bushing to make it faster.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by JOHNNY RACER
what is the proper way to use comm drops or prolong? are 767's compatible w/ the drops?
Just place a single drop on the face of the brush. 767's like drops, ProLong is great stuff but a little thick so wipe off the excess.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i race in a dusty track. is it ok to use comm drops? wouldnt it attract dirt and cause the comm and brushes to wear faster? right now, i just use trinty comm drops for cutting the comm and breaking in brushes. i havent tried them on the race track yet.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

spongebob- 5 volts

Supposidly the pro version has capped magnets, and it does come with decent springs and brushes, so I save about 5 bucks there, and it is only about 3 dollars more expensive. Also, the comm has been taken down to the ideal width in them, and balanced. That is things they say they do, but I just want to wait for the pro anyway
Old 11-12-2001, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

What do you people think of the Orion Stock RS dyno tuned? How does it compare to the MVP and P2K? Is it more of a speed motor or has it more torque than most?
Would the Stock RS be suitable for 1/12 scale racing?
Old 11-13-2001, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rccarracer
What do you people think of the Orion Stock RS dyno tuned? How does it compare to the MVP and P2K? Is it more of a speed motor or has it more torque than most?
Would the Stock RS be suitable for 1/12 scale racing?
I once asked the same question about the Orion RS and I was told that it sat between the P2k and MVP, MVP having more RPM. I used the RS the first part of this year until the GM3 became popular. I used its stock springs with a medium-hard high silver brush on the negative side and hard high silver on the positive side.

I received plenty of comments that my car had tons of torque out of the turns and enough RPM's to keep an edge on the MVP's. Well the MVP's, when tricked out, got faster and GM3's are just plain fast with a little work. I find that the Orion RS is excellent for small technical tracks where the infield decides the win and not the long straights.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by marvi
i race in a dusty track. is it ok to use comm drops? wouldnt it attract dirt and cause the comm and brushes to wear faster? right now, i just use trinty comm drops for cutting the comm and breaking in brushes. i havent tried them on the race track yet.

Just remove the excess moisture from the brushes. I place a drop on each brush prior to each round and wipe off the excess. I run on an unpreppd track and I have no problems. I always clean the motor between runs also.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks RCCadet.

Does anyone know where i can get a little oiler bottle (like the ones motor bushing oil comes in) to put the prolong in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.