Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Good beginner car?

Is the Ofna Cd-3 Pro RtR a good choice for a beginner car and how fast do you think it goes? Thank you for your time
Old 08-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC-HPI
Is the Ofna Cd-3 Pro RtR a good choice for a beginner car and how fast do you think it goes? Thank you for your time
One local racer could go pretty fast with that car, but there's nothing quite like going with the best name brand. Kyosho's name has been slung out there again and again because they've figured out how to make really good cars. The FW05T is a RTR from Kyosho that can be fully upgraded to the very potent FW05RR. The CD3 is really only a copy of the FW. I mean OFNA put together a good car, but you can't say it was more solid, predictable and faster than the Kyosho. With Kyosho America coming on the scene, parts have never been cheaper to get stateside, and the car is solid.

You're the only one who can actually choose what car you will get, so base your purchase around your wants and needs. We're just here to spout tons of useless (or perhaps useful) knowledge depending on what we say and how you take it.

Good luck, its never easy.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

I have a cd3 and it's a good car for club racing. It can be very competitive in good hands. It's solid also, i've hit the boards very hard and smacked this car around and only broke a steering servo.

My problem with the car in my area is parts supply. ( i needed to make a front diff and remove the one way).The only way for me to have spare parts in my area is to by a roller LD3 from ebay. I'm in Canada and either the hobby shops cannot get the parts, or the shops that do have the parts ( nitrohouse ) do not ship out of the U.S.

I got the cd3 pro for 229$ u.s in nov 2004. In spring of this year, i bought an rd logics mongoose for the same price. My cd3 is now my back-up car.

It's your choice, just get something you can get parts for.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kyosho FW05T? How fast is it stock? and around how much too upgrade?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I almost want to say Serpent 710....untill I spot your avator....LOL.
How come Serpent is not on your list?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I want an RtR and its too expensive ....

LoL my avatar.. I just saw it somewhere and liked it didn't know It was anti Serpent, Just realised it.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

What about the Old Faithful NTC3??
Old 08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

for an upgradealbe and decent starter kit. go with ofna or the fw05 but i dont know if that comes with everything the cd3 does, such as the starter box and body and engine and all. kit body engine pipe starter box radio all for like 375 i think? good place to start to get your feet wet. i mean if you really like r/c after ur first car, your going to want a better one anyways so dont worry about how fast the car is right now. decent and affordable is what you need.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have no clue what that is and is it upgradable?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

NTC3 RTR (I think there is version 2 with 2 speed) will get your race ready, not just parking lot bashing...

Of course, I am talking about entry level local club racing...not national race ready....
Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I need something what can be upgraded too at least 55 MPH
Old 08-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have an NTC3, it's my first nitro kit car ever (got the FT kit) but you can get an RTR version of it that is great too, withthe .15 motor it's capable of about 49mph. I use my NTC3 for parking lots and have a .12 RRE R3srt engine and with my venom speedometer i've clocked in at 72 MPH so far and still climbing. I can vouch for the NTC3 being a good car, but I've never driven or even seen other cars in person, so there is no way for me to say anything about the other cars. the serpent 710 is fast fast though, i have a few videos on my PC of it
Old 08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

So guys what do you think is the best choice The Kyosho FW05t RTR, Team Associated TC3 Plus RTR, Or the Ofna CD3 Pro RTR? Your opinion would be greatly appriciated
Old 08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey lazy do you run a FW? If so I've got a manifoild that I don't need that'll fit it. I'll give it to you this sunday If youll be there... I say pick the car with the best parts support unless youre gonna order all of them.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Just about any RTR can be "upgraded" to go over 55MPH. You are falling into the newbe trap of looking for top speed. Unless you plan in drag racing only, you are looking down the wrong path. Parts availability should be your most importaint consideration for now. The easiest car to keep running will probably be the RS4-3 .18 kit. Especially with your local shop carrying the parts. Having said that, if you want to get into racing later, you will want to look at another car. The OFNA is a pretty good choice, as is the NTC3. Look at the price of parts as well. I've had crashes cost me over $100 with my serpent, while replacing the same parts on my HPI would have cost me 1/3. I have found that replacing broken and worn parts and engines over the life of the car costs far more then the cost of the kit. I do understand not having much money and having to get somthing afordable in the beginning. I did the same thing. I don't regret it since it enabled me to get into the RC and gradually upgrade, but I would have saved some money buying the better stuff first. I figure I could have saved $400 or $500 over the last 7 or so years, but I have spent thousands of dollars. And not just 1 or 2 thousand. I figure that it didn't really make that much difference after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.