Search

Top brands of RC electronics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Best overall or best for the money?

Best set overall that I could see would be:

Airtronics radio and servo, LRP/Orion/Hobbywing ESC, Trinity/Reedy/Hacker motor, and a fresh battery, maybe ProMatch.

Best for the money: Spektrum radio, Hobbywing Stock ESC, SpeedPassion motor, Savox servo, cheapo battery.

Swap the cheapo battery for a good one and the 'inferior' setup is probably 99% as fast as a the expensive stuff. Then again, in a 50 lap 1/12 scale race 1% is a half a lap.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up Excellent

Originally Posted by ZEe_NYC
User makes first post without even looking through the forums or even at the 35 different electronic sponsors popping up all over and gets 10 responses. Lol. Good job
I got some of the answers I was looking for. I've looked and searched, and seen ads, and read tech specs, and reviews, but this allows me to ask those who have experience. And I value that much more. Honestly I'm surprised not to see Castle mentioned... And I was under the impression that hobbywing was an inexpensive but midgrade brand... I was looking at a Savox servo the other day, but wasn't sure, now I'll look closer.

I appreciate the responses, it helps point me in the right direction. I want to have fun with my car, not problems.
Keep the responses up! The more the better.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Suspended

you want top brands or top reliable brands? because there is a difference.

Tekin ESCs come to my mind of top UNreliable brands. I've personally seen more of these burn up (including mine) than any other brand I've ever heard of.
mine didn't last me 2 months.

my T8 motor on the other hand, rocks.
all of the savox servo's I have have been reliable. all of my electronics(savox, Viper, Spektrum, Sanwa, and XP Digital) have been reliable with the exception of Tekin.

I've made up my mind I'm going to start using Novak since they're made in the USA. heard they got bought out or something like that so I'm waiting to see what direction the new owners take. if they start producing in china, forget it.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 02-21-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZEe_NYC
User makes first post without even looking through the forums or even at the 35 different electronic sponsors popping up all over and gets 10 responses. Lol. Good job
yeah because we all know ads = great products.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SeeGee911
I got some of the answers I was looking for. I've looked and searched, and seen ads, and read tech specs, and reviews, but this allows me to ask those who have experience. And I value that much more. Honestly I'm surprised not to see Castle mentioned... And I was under the impression that hobbywing was an inexpensive but midgrade brand... I was looking at a Savox servo the other day, but wasn't sure, now I'll look closer.

I appreciate the responses, it helps point me in the right direction. I want to have fun with my car, not problems.
Keep the responses up! The more the better.
CC is huge but its "uncool" to recommend Castle products....that what I see around here. I've had Castle for years, never a problem and the weak BEC issue has been fixed via Castle link software. I've had a 3 yr old HobbyKing ESC go up in smoke last year but for the price, I'd buy and recommend another one.
Like others, I've heard the Tekin, Castle, HW etc. horror stories.....but everyone knows its hard to find topics with the heading "<insert brand> ESC doing great" but you'll find lots out there posting the opposite.

Really tho, electrical problems are few and far between IMO and yea, you'll have fun with whatever RC you go with.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

Best ever esc used VIPER, 2 years that i'm using my vtx10r and no one problem (up to now ), very reable the best. servo futaba 551bls and sanwa radio, batteries? hobbyking SpecA low pricebut good performance.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SeeGee911
Honestly I'm surprised not to see Castle mentioned... And I was under the impression that hobbywing was an inexpensive but midgrade brand...
Most of us here are racers, and Castle isn't up to the job on the track compared with anything else. Castle doesn't sell sensored motors and their sensored ESCs don't have the functions needed to be competitive. For racing you need the smooth linear control, for blinky classes you need a legal ESC and for boosted class you need the boost control, none of which you get in a Castle ESC.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Viper and check out the Expert line of servos they carry. Great stuff.

I've ran Airtronics radios since the mid 80s. Nothing comes close in terms of value and reliability.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry ESC 's Modified touring Car set up "Don't do"

Hi I'm probably like any one else, want to many cars with maximum features at best bang for buck ! SO I have two nitros (4years experience now) and have fallen big time for Electric On road, SO set up a F1 and building a modified tourer here's the don't do. Mate of mine put me on to the "Turnigy Turbo 120A ESC from HOBBYKING/US$46.00 odd bucks, NIGHTMARE with modified.
Modified running Corally 4.5Turn motor / SR301Specktrum receiver /Turnigy 27kg Steering Servo/ Battery 7500 mAh lipo. Turnigy Spec's claims will perform with 4Turn motor ! bullshit, Glitching/ erratic acceleration/ run away vehicle/ after hours of set up don't do this to yourself ! very unhappy with these ESC's as the spec's all add up and they don't deliver I brought two so cost me New Zealand $200 odd.
I've nearly smashed my modified to pieces several times now trying to dial this piece of Sh@t% in. I think most of the forums on these are written by HobbyKing themselves, they warranty policy is a nightmare also, so if you want some smooth sailing ask all the experienced guys at your Club and this forum. After you decide what setup your looking for, don't get burnt by these cheap Asian WANNABES.(MY FAULT DON'T MAKE IT YOURS)
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, now that I've had some time to try out some of the electronics I've purchased. Savox makes fantastic servos. I have one in my Drift Car,and another in my Savage, and they've been awesome. No trouble whatsoever.

As far as Speed Controller / Motor, I've been pleasantly Surprised by Speed Passion Reventon PRO 1.1 with their v3 MMM 13.5t motor. Rock solid. Also no hassle of any kind. Just works, and works well.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

I run airtronics radio, savox servos, and Tekin esc and motors, Tekin motors are great all high end speed controls are pretty much the same I've had LRP Orion and Tekin love the tekins because of the hot wire programing app.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

I will say this if you go savox for a servo stay away from spektrum
Old 03-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 SpeedPassion ESC , Ive run Novak in the past and prefer my Sp Reventon , settings can be changed right from cell phone if needed, plenty of tuning options, and works perfect with no problems, and its just as competetive on the track as everything else.

Smc 2s Lipos , Ive tried Nanotech and Venom , neither compared to the punch I get from my Smc lipos.

Trackstar red 21.5 motor is good for the price and is what I currently run, keeps up with everything else on the track but absolutely not the best motor, I have run the Sp mmm and Revtech also, Revtech being the best of the 3.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Radio;
Sanwa, no FSST or binding issues, unlike Futaba or KO.

Servo's;
Always liked KO although I currently run Sanwa.

Lipo's;
Thunder Power, although SMC's are on the horizon as well

ESC;
Black Diamond (Only ESC where I've never heard of one fail) Using them for 4 years

Motors;
Thunder Power. Using them for 3 years