Search

Advice On Surface Additives to stop breaking up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:43 PM
BBJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Advice On Surface Additives to stop breaking up

Just thought I would try here to get some help...
Our club has recently resurfaced our track and I was wondering if anyone out there could give some suggestions as to what we could do to help the surface go 'hard'. We are unable to hit it with heaps of water as we are currently under water restrictions, stopping us from watering the surface to aid in this process (big $$$ fines). Additives such as using oil to bind the soil is also a big no-no. Is there anything that can be sprayed onto the surface for example, that can cause the suface to pack together and at the same time be (relatively) safe for the enviornment. any useful hints would be greatly appreciated...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

At this years Hank Perry race in Spokane Washington they used Dr. Pepper syrup. Go down to your local soda pop bottler if there is one near by (Coke, Pepsi, or what ever). See if they will donate or sell your club some gallon jugs of syrup used to make pop.

I think they used it in a 5 to 1 ratio of water to syrup. Mix one gallon of syrup in 5 gallons of water and spray it on the track good and thick. Let it bake in the sun for a week or two and it will help the dirt set up good and hard. Depending on the dirt it should blue groove with time and lots of cars running on it.

They ran a 230+ entry race and all they had to do was sweep the dust off to the side between rounds. Traction was awsome and the track held up perfect.

You can also use "soil cement" but I'm not shure where to get it or how to use it, and it's expensive. but makes the dirt rock hard.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

you can also use calcium chloride and gypsum, put either item on the track and mix into dirt and water. you can also use dish soap and have heard that laundry detergent can be used
Old 07-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When asking for soda, ask for expired soda. And request that if possible, that they can keep some of the expired soda around for you guys. In return, possibly put a soda machine out at your track...

Magnesium chloride and calcium chloride work well also. But be careful to put this on and not run your cars for atleast a week... otherwise your car will be a rolling rust bucket.

Paul

Last edited by Tubaboy; 07-29-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

1 extreme, how did the jumps hold up?

At the Kyosho race they used a "soil tac" type of stuff.(made for Army heli pads)
It worked very well until it was watered, then it started to break up.

It was like 1/8" thick clear coat mixed with dirt.

But, when it broke up, it broke out in chunks and then you had issues with softer loose dirt surrounded by the harder area that was still intact. Next thing you know you had a hole that would eat an 8th scale.

It held up great for all the practice rounds, 2 days of 12 buggys on the track at a time for 14 hours straight.

14 hours * 60 min = 840 min of racing per day
840 min * 2 laps per min(average lap time of 30 sec) = 1680 laps
1680 laps * 12 buggys at a time = 20160 laps per day

Not sure if I did that right, but food for thought.