T3 vs Rustler

Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default T3 vs Rustler

Which ones better?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lmao, a t3 is a race truck. a rustler is a kids toy.

T3!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

in my opinion t3 is alot better truck.

It has a better trasmission
It is lighter
it uses hex hardware instead of phillips
it is just as durable
parts are fairly easy to get for it
it handles great
Old 07-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

it handles awesome!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

rustlers suck t3 or t4 all the way
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I own a T3 and my bro gots a Rustler, and with what I'v seen so far I would say theT3 by far. You dont have much tuning options or if any at all with the Rustler.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I own a T3 as well, and let me tell you, it's very good.. I've driven it off a 5FT high dirt pile about 50 times and I never broke a damn thing. Didn't even bend anything. The T3 is solid. The T4 I am sure is just as solid. So go for either a T3 or T4. You'll be real satisfied with them.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

yeah T3 is the way to go!!... like if your not gonna race and you just wanna bash get a rustler there tough as heck!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

T3s are as tough as nails to. You would be happier with the T3.

Sean
Old 07-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

I don't think you guys are giving the Traxxas trucks enough credit. They were origionaly designed in 1994, and have not only outsold the T3's, but they have also outlasted them. For racing, the T3 is DEFINATLY the way to go, but I have raced the Rutlers, and my first one, had between 1800-2000 full scale miles on it before I retired it. It was a real mean truck too, and it always came back for more. I'll bet anyone that if I could get a T3 and a Rustler with the same electronics and motor in them, that after about $150-$200, I could have the Rustler turning faster laps than a T3. Keep in mind the price tag on a Rustler is 1/2 that of a T3 too! All they really need are aluminum shocks, with red springs, 30-35 weight shock oil, some 2 or 3 hole pistons, depending on track conditions, and some Pro-Line tires. I'm not saying it's practical to turn a Rustler into a racer, but I'm saying after having dealt with them for so long, I know them inside and out. I built one for my friend out of my spare parts, and I still have enough for another entire truck. My Bandit is also no slouch. The only other things I would do to the Rustler would be RPM bearing carriers front and rear, a Team Platinum Aluminum Bumper , mabey an aluminum idler gear, and some delrin trannsmission gears, along with titanium nitride shock shafts. Other little tips and tricks include hollowing out the front arms (Something I did for my friend's Rustler) and removing the outside webbing from the rear arms (This not only reduces unsprung mass, but it also allows the driveshafts to drop, giving the truck more uptravel. The gear differential in the Rustler will outlast the ball diff in the T3 anyday, so I would leave that just for the convinence factor. Cut a shoe in the chassis to allow easy access to the servo saver, and mabey revise the chenky servo/top plate, and your all ready to compete with the Associated's. Don't get me wrong, after all this work, it would just be easier to get a Losi or Associated, but I am just saying, I can get a Rustler to own a Factory Team T3, it just isn't worth doing. The suspension geometry is so outdated that to do a complete conversion to a race truck would require a person to re-engineer the entire truck! If anyone wants to test my theory on whether or not I can get a Rustler to beat a T3, just go to your local hobby shop, buy me a brand new Factory Team T3, and a brand new Traxxas Rustler, and I will see what I can do! (BTW: while your their, can you also pick me up a JATO and a RC10GT, I may need them for a future post! )

In all seriousness, look at the Rustler, that thing will not only out last the T3, but it will also require less maitenence throught it's lifespan. The gear diff alone is enough to make up some peoples minds. Personally, after destroying 4 diffs in a XXX-NT, and having Losi tech support tell me I did something wrong because I followed their instructions to a T, is enough to make me never want another car with a ball diff again! (Wait a minute, I already have 4 cars with ball diffs! ) Before you judge the Rustler, remember it's design is at least 11 years old, and will soon be retired. I have a theory, that with the release of the new Traxxas XL10 ESC, Traxxas is paving the way for something nasty to come. Chances are it will probably feature a slow, sealed endbell 20 Turn Stinger in it, but if it shows as much potential as the JATO, Associated had better watch out, unless they have plans to release a T5 sometime soon!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Oh yeah, one more thing! The stock caster blocks on the Rustler allow for massive camber changes as the wheel undergoes steering changes. To correct this, what I would do is angle the bearing carriers more upright, by altering the caster blocks. Another good idea would be to get yourself some Nitro Rustler caster blocks, because when assembled correctly with all the required parts, it allows for a dramatic increase in steering throw. One of my favorite websites about Traxxas vehicles is www.UltimateTraxxas.com. If you go to the Ultimate Rustler pages, you will see how he made his Rustler go beyond the Losi/Associated barrier, and straight to the winners circle. The truck weighs less that a XXXT or a T4, and will not only compete with the Losi's/Associated's, but will also appearently beat most of them! Check it out!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rustler = Durable

I prefer the rustler for it's durability. The only thing that I have replaced on it is the bumper and camber links from TeamPlatinum and they are outstanding.