Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polishing the stacks

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

PITCREW AND EDDIEO thank you for remaining on the topic and answering my question!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EddieO
And for the record....it's a 100% illegal to do on any stock or 19t motor under ROAR rules....while one could argue that polishing the shafts is the same thing, there is absolutely no way to tech it......
This is wild...so if a company makes 5000 motors, polishes their stacks, and submits their motors to ROAR they will be no good ??? Yea right ! We are not talking about stock quad magnets here. Polishing is so minimal. Aligning your brush hoods can make more RPM...but that is ok. LOL . No need for anyone to answer this first part, I understand the rules are not absolute and it is up to ROAR at any given time anyway....BUT..

Please clarify that there is no way to tech a polished shaft. Since OEM motors must have dimensions on shafts and other parts. Thanks.

Last edited by allstock; 08-01-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Polished Shafts would be near impossible to tech like Eddie said...simply because they look shiny and polished to begin with(unlike armature stacks that can easily be identified after polishing)...not to mention their tollerances slightly vary like much else made on an assembly line, so putting a mic to them also goes out the window......
Old 08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

I see...so let me play the devil's advocate here. If I dip my armature in a solution that removes the green/grey coating, is that illegal too ? Or if I paint my armature another color...how about that ? See the point is that although the armature may be shined or painted...what tolerance is actually measured if any ? Is it actually measured ? Or is this just ROAR or whomever's guesswork that something has changed to improve motor performance ?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Estimated Guesswork With any tech system on any level of racing their are always slight holes that can be cheated.......IME most tech's are looking for the obvious.....mostly horse power worthy "visible" cheats......It's not a perfect system....believe me, Iv'e been at plenty of roar races that don't even check for almost anything (unless you win) and even then it's not a motor teardown most times
Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EddieO
Even taking off a small amount will increase RPM....just basic physics....

And that little green coating isn't always perfectly smooth......so by making it smooth, you eliminate any chance of an imperction causing drag.....

In the end, they are very very very minimal differences.

And for the record....it's a 100% illegal to do on any stock or 19t motor under ROAR rules....while one could argue that polishing the shafts is the same thing, there is absolutely no way to tech it......

Latrer EddieO
I understand the physics: less centrifical force.

Has it been proven on a dyno? Under a load, if the mag poles of the arm are farther from the magnet, wouldn't it less torque; thus reducing the arms ability to push that load to a higher RPM?

No modifications to the physical construction of the motor can, endbell, or armature will be permitted (e.g. adding or removing material from the armature stack, changing brush hoods from stand up to lay down, etc...)
This may sound stupid, but then wouldn't turning the comm be a violation of this rule. It is "removing material" and it is a "physical alteration of the armature"????

OK, maybe thats just "rant"...
Old 08-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well....Big Jim did testing on it....just relying on what he told me....I don't have time to test things like that....

As for the comm cutting, there is another line in the rules thats says its allowed......

Later EddieO
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FWIW I have a Team Br00d Reedy Quad Mag with polished stacks and it's a BEAST-I save it for "special occasions".