Wiki Posts
Search

Gear ratios, pinions etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Tech Adept

Gear ratios, pinions etc.

Hi guys,

Is there an article on the web which is devoted explaining all these gear ratios, pinions, spurs etc on the web. I don't understand much yet about what happens when I change 15T to 16T or 46T to 47T and what I have to change with what.
For example a question from me to you:
I got a very good acceleration on my car (Impulse running on Novarossi N12LS3) but halfway on the straight the engine reaches the top RPM and therefore the car reaches it's top speed and can not go any faster. I think by using different gear ratios (pinions) or spurs?, the car would have better performance. What should I change and what effect would that have on the acceleration and top speed?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you need more top speed - Bigger pinion, smaller spur
If you need more acceleration - Smaller pinion, bigger spur

Change the pinions at first, if the difference in ratio is too much (overgeared) try 1 or 2 teeth larger spur with the bigger pinions. You could also try some teeth smaller spur with the smaller pinions.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,

Is there an article on the web which is devoted explaining all these gear ratios, pinions, spurs etc on the web. I don't understand much yet about what happens when I change 15T to 16T or 46T to 47T and what I have to change with what.
For example a question from me to you:
I got a very good acceleration on my car (Impulse running on Novarossi N12LS3) but halfway on the straight the engine reaches the top RPM and therefore the car reaches it's top speed and can not go any faster. I think by using different gear ratios (pinions) or spurs?, the car would have better performance. What should I change and what effect would that have on the acceleration and top speed?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Does your Impulse have two-speed tranny ?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by redsand
Does your Impulse have two-speed tranny ?
Yes. It is running with the standard 2 shoe clutch. The pinions and rear diff. is also standard.

I've also ordered rear axle solid + 46 T for better performance. What else do you think I should buy?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by aaalp
Yes. It is running with the standard 2 shoe clutch. The pinions and rear diff. is also standard.

I've also ordered rear axle solid + 46 T for better performance. What else do you think I should buy?
why would you want to get a solid rear axle ?
solid rear + rubber tires + tc body = disaster.

speaking of the gearing, you might want to get a tooth or two bigger second gear pinion. that should add more top speed on the back straight.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

speaking of the gearing, you might want to get a tooth or two bigger second gear pinion. that should add more top speed on the back straight.
Would you recommend using the solid rear axle on a high grip track with foam (JACO) tires? The body is Stratus 3.1 from Protoform.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mhhh ... front solid + rear solid + rubbers + good setup = GREAT combination ...